View Full Version : video from todays strongman session

Cmanuel
10-30-2010, 03:33 PM
todays session included
yoke
keg load and sled drag
axle clean and press
stones

Got vid of everything cept the yoke. Nothing too exciting... I got a PR with the axle but stones continue to give me hell. I hate being short :(
04ZaoDgBmXo

teeroy
10-30-2010, 10:00 PM
That is some seriously cool stuff. I could see myself getting into that type of training once I build my foundational strength.

Watching you with the stones I'm thinking man that would totally suck to drop that on your foot. Be safe!

Tom Mutaffis
10-31-2010, 06:57 AM
Nice job Chip.

I have done keg/sled medley training like that in the past and it is brutal...

On the stones I noticed that after you lapped the stone you did not bring your feet together (I have a habit of not doing this as well), but if you do bring them together it will give you another couple of inches at the top. Another trick is to wear a soft belt and put a little bit of tacky on the chest area of your shirt. You lapped it easily so should be loading that stone in no time!

Cmanuel
10-31-2010, 09:46 AM
Nice job Chip.

I have done keg/sled medley training like that in the past and it is brutal...

On the stones I noticed that after you lapped the stone you did not bring your feet together (I have a habit of not doing this as well), but if you do bring them together it will give you another couple of inches at the top. Another trick is to wear a soft belt and put a little bit of tacky on the chest area of your shirt. You lapped it easily so should be loading that stone in no time!

Thanks tom. That keg load was serious. Thats one of the NAS nationals events this year so I wanted to see how I'd do.

Thanks for the advice on the stone lapping. When you lap the stone, do you recomend bringing your arms over the top of the stone (kinda like I do in the video) or bringing your arms over the center of the sides of the stone (as if you are putting your arms over the equator of a globe)?

borracho
11-01-2010, 11:24 AM
awesome job on the axle clean/press bud!!!

Tom Mutaffis
11-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Thanks tom. That keg load was serious. Thats one of the NAS nationals events this year so I wanted to see how I'd do.

Thanks for the advice on the stone lapping. When you lap the stone, do you recomend bringing your arms over the top of the stone (kinda like I do in the video) or bringing your arms over the center of the sides of the stone (as if you are putting your arms over the equator of a globe)?

Sorry for the delayed response, I couldn't reply to this thread at work because it had the word "video" in the title so it was blocked.

With regard to the arm placement I prefer to wrap my arms around the sides of the stone so that I can squeeze it into myself and roll the stone up my body, or front squat it up in some cases. Some lifters prefer the 'over the top' method though. My advice would be to try both and see which works best for you and which method is most comfortable.

You also may want to try some different footwear such as OLY shoes or boots, sometimes the extra 1/2" or a little bit more stable footing can make a difference.

BigTallOx
11-02-2010, 09:20 PM
Nice work, good video.

I got a PR with the axle but stones continue to give me hell. I hate being short :(

Well, just know I hate being tall when doing axle clean and presses. That's the good thing about strongman though, it all averages out.

Cmanuel
11-02-2010, 10:01 PM
Sorry for the delayed response, I couldn't reply to this thread at work because it had the word "video" in the title so it was blocked.

With regard to the arm placement I prefer to wrap my arms around the sides of the stone so that I can squeeze it into myself and roll the stone up my body, or front squat it up in some cases. Some lifters prefer the 'over the top' method though. My advice would be to try both and see which works best for you and which method is most comfortable.

You also may want to try some different footwear such as OLY shoes or boots, sometimes the extra 1/2" or a little bit more stable footing can make a difference.

Thanks for the recomendations Tom, I will take these into consideration for my next stone practice session. My goal is to be hitting 325 pretty easily by next season!

Nice work, good video.

Well, just know I hate being tall when doing axle clean and presses. That's the good thing about strongman though, it all averages out.

Thanks for commenting man! Sad I missed you at the CO show. I will be at just about every CO show this year though, think you'll make it out again?

BigTallOx
11-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Thanks for commenting man! Sad I missed you at the CO show. I will be at just about every CO show this year though, think you'll make it out again?

Yeah probably. We all ( my wife, kids and myself ) enjoyed colorado, it was a nice little vacation for the family and good times doing a strongman show for me. That was my first show, so it'll always be a special memory for me.

Tom Mutaffis
11-03-2010, 05:04 AM
Thanks for the recomendations Tom, I will take these into consideration for my next stone practice session. My goal is to be hitting 325 pretty easily by next season!

325 lbs would be great for a 200 lbs competitor; what platform height are you loading to right now?

Cmanuel
11-03-2010, 06:37 AM
325 lbs would be great for a 200 lbs competitor; what platform height are you loading to right now?

the one with the video is somewhere around 50". We use a 48" platform in the CO competitions but they are talking about debuting a staggered loading platform this coming season. I was able to get a 220 18" stone to a 60" platform and I can get the 300 stone to a 36" platform (did that a while ago)