PDA

View Full Version : Calipers

Codeguru
10-31-2010, 01:35 AM
The one I got keeps saying I'm around 10% bodyfat, but it's plastic so I don't know how accurate it is. Is there any reason someone should have 10% bodyfat and even going lower and not be totally "cut" or "ripped" or whatever the hell the term is? People have told me that 15% is good for an athlete but I really couldn't care less about that at the moment, I just want my good looking body first and will work on everything else after that is achieved. I've been having some success over the past few weeks with cutting out fat but how low am I going to need to go here to get actual abs without flexing? Also just to check, the correct "inch pinch" is when you feel the pop, so you know all you're holding onto is fat right? The instructions aren't that comprehensive...

Codeguru

PS- Just to clarify I can almost do leg lifts endlessly compared to others in my classes and practically in a V-seat, plus I have to keep using my Ab Rocket with weights on my chest because I'm already on the highest setting. I can't imagine lack of muscle is my problem here.

Joe Black
11-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Everyone is different when it comes to how you look at what % bodyfat.

If you're measuring yourself, you're most likely doing it inaccurately anyway. Measuring bodyfat with calipers is actually quie a tricky job and is best done by another person and that person needs experience of doing it. they should take pinches from mutiple spots and also take several of each and average it out.

But, if you only care about looks, then who cares what the number is? You either like what you see in the mirror or you don't.

I got down to 12% and I only had faint abs when tensing. Why? Well I think I have the type of body where I held fat on the mid section and I think having under-developed abs doesn't help either.

All I can say is continue to work the abs hard and heavy and cut down your bodyfat further if you don't think you look lean enough.

Sean S
11-07-2010, 11:22 AM
I've done alot of bodyfat analysis on people with methods like underwater weighing and DEXA and people who are 10% or less are very lean. They may differ in appearance a bit but we're talking varying degrees of being very lean. You can't take any numbers too seriously with plastic calipers you are performing on yourself without having had any formal training.
The good news is that in your situation it doesn't really matter what the actual number is. Just keep working toward the appearance you are after. Whether you reach that goal at 10% vs. 13% or some other number is irrelevant. If you want to truly know your BF% I would recommend underwater weighing or a DEXA scan. The next best thing would be skinfold analysis (with as many sites included as possible) done by a trained, experienced professional (your typical "personal trainer at the gym" doesn't usually qualify).

Codeguru
11-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Ok then, I guess that was a waste of $10. The only thing I know for sure is the comparitive numbers I got using this caliper are lower now than they were when I got it. So maybe that means something. Nothing else to do but keep eating right and ab rocketing I guess. It's just weird when you see these small little 120 lbs guys run out of gas while you're still going strong and still not be able to see many visible results, but then I guess a watched pot never boils...

Codeguru