PDA

View Full Version : Best Builds for the big 3

Kiff
11-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I know that a persons build has a huge impact on their top end ability for the big 3 lifts.

Just wondered what exactly made the difference, I know that short arms and a big chest are good for Bench obviously narrowing your ROM and is it best to have Short legs for squatting? What about deads, what is ideal for that?

Just realised i didnt actually know!

mchicia1
11-01-2010, 08:57 AM
Deads, long arms - long legs
Squats, long torso, short legs
Bench, short arms

Kiff
11-01-2010, 09:15 AM
Squats, long torso, short legs
Bench, short arms

Cheers mate :)

BigTallOx
11-01-2010, 10:43 AM

I've never felt like my 39" inseam has helped me for deadlifting since all it does is cause my legs to get in the way of the bar. IMHO Deads => long arms short legs.

martin
11-01-2010, 10:54 AM
I've never felt like my 39" inseam has helped me for deadlifting since all it does is cause my legs to get in the way of the bar. IMHO Deads => long arms short legs.

Jeez, I have a 29inch inside leg and I'm 5'10!

I have fairly long arms though so it evens my long torso out on deadlift I think.

mchicia1
11-01-2010, 11:10 AM

Let me correct myself..

It is more about your body distribution (torso to leg ratio). It's really short torso and long arms that give a DL advantage. People with short torsos generally are more leg biased, thats why I said long legs. Since your torso is shorter, your lever will be shorter thus less force will be required to get your body from the starting angle to a straight up position.

Sean S
11-01-2010, 11:22 AM
Let me correct myself..

It is more about your body distribution (torso to leg ratio). It's really short torso and long arms that give a DL advantage. People with short torsos generally are more leg biased, thats why I said long legs. Since your torso is shorter, your lever will be shorter thus less force will be required to get your body from the starting angle to a straight up position.

I'm not sure I follow. The length of the lever from the bar to the hip is determined by your femur length, not your torso length. Your torso angle will simply accomodate your leg length to get you into proper position. I have long arms and long legs and a short torso. The long legs make the DL more difficult as my hips are a mile behind the bar and my torso angle ends up pretty horizontal. This doesn't make for great leverages in the DL.

Lones Green
11-01-2010, 11:41 AM
Leverages and build certainly make a difference but look at the height of the guy who holds the 1250 squat, and Kennelly. They're both pretty tall.

Better leverages make a difference but IMO aren't an excuse.

mchicia1
11-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I'm not sure I follow. The length of the lever from the bar to the hip is determined by your femur length, not your torso length. Your torso angle will simply accomodate your leg length to get you into proper position. I have long arms and long legs and a short torso. The long legs make the DL more difficult as my hips are a mile behind the bar and my torso angle ends up pretty horizontal. This doesn't make for great leverages in the DL.

At the starting position, that is what I meant by lever. Not how far you are pulling the bar from the ground...but the length of your back.

Assuming you have the same starting back angle, the person with the shorter torso will have the shorter lever and thus will have an easier time. The longer the lever, the more stress there is on the lower back. Similar reason as to why the high bar squat puts more stress on the lower back for taller people who need forward lean in the squat...it is because it is increasing the length of the "lever".

I am a good example of this...my deadllift is 100 pounds higher than my squat due to the way my body is built. I could not work my deadlift for months and it will hardly go down...if I neglect squatting even for a month, it drops tremendously.