PDA

View Full Version : cambered bar vs straps

gmen5681
11-03-2010, 06:12 AM
is there really much difference between using a cambered bar and using some spud straps hanging on the ends?

vdizenzo
11-03-2010, 06:19 AM
I don't see how either are remotely the same.

gmen5681
11-03-2010, 06:52 AM
really? im talking about the cambered squat bar, not a cambered bench bar. it seems that the whole purpose of the cambered bar is the fact that the weight hangs lower so when you squat down the weight is more in front of you. according to Louie is it takes the upper back out of the squat and puts more tension on the lower back. it seems that if you just used the spud straps (http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=PD&cid=139&pid=3403) it would pretty much do the same thing, puts the weight about 14" below the barbell so the weight will stay in the same path as if it were a cambered bar. or is it the reason the upper back gets taken out because you place your hands on the lower part?

vdizenzo
11-03-2010, 07:36 AM
Where are you going to hold on? The straps will swing whereas the cambered bar will not.

gmen5681
11-03-2010, 07:57 AM
Hang onto the bar like normal. Doesn't seem like straps would swing anymore than a cambered bar. Im not arguing im just trying to see the reason for the cambered bar other than relieving shoulder stress. There is a local guy selling a cambered bar for cheap and just seeing if its worth my 50 bucks over the straps I already have.

Brian Hopper
11-03-2010, 08:29 AM
I would get the cambared bar, $50 is good deal. I don't know to much about the straps.

gmen5681
11-03-2010, 08:40 AM
what exactly can i do with a cambered bar that i cant do with what i have now tho?

Brian Hopper
11-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Can you bench with those straps or shoulder press with those straps?

gmen5681
11-03-2010, 10:51 AM
isnt it pretty common for people to bench and press with straps? its a 14" camber bar. i dont think i would want to bench with that anyways. its a rackable 14" squat camber bar. please dont think im arguing im just asking questions, im new to westside training methods and just trying to get as much info as possible.
so lets forget about the straps. what exactly does a 14" squat cambered bar do for me? the only think i know is that it takes stress off of the shoulders, but isnt that what a SSW is used for too?

Lones Green
11-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Not sure I would use those straps. Cambered bar is quite different plus it relieves some stres on the shoulders

gmen5681
11-03-2010, 12:17 PM
i understand that it is different, but how is it different than a normal squat bar besides taking stress off the shoulders, or is that strictly what it is for?

Brian Hopper
11-03-2010, 12:26 PM
If it's the strap I'm thinking of then no you can't. I'll hang the cambered bar from chains and work my lockout. It's similar to hanging KB's, just not as crazy. Like Lones said, it takes some stress off the shoulders.

AdamBAG
11-03-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't think you are talking about the same thing.

Are you referring to the "spud straps," which are you used for safety in a monolift or for doing suspended GMs etc. in a rack?
http://www.southcarolinabarbell.com/salestemplate/spudincmain.asp?ProductNumber=SPUD33

Or are you talking about "stump straps," which are used to suspend a plate beneath the bar for stability training?
http://www.southcarolinabarbell.com/salestemplate/spudincmain.asp?ProductNumber=SPUD28

If you are talking about the first, then it's nothing like a giant cambered bar. If you are talking about the latter, then it's somewhat similar, however I don't think you'd get the benefit of doing GMs like you would with a GCB and there is no way you could put as much weight on the bar like you could with the GCB. Also, as you noted, the GCB is pretty easy on the shoulders and suspending plates from a straight bar would not add this benefit.

AdamBAG
11-03-2010, 02:17 PM
I would add that if I could get a GCB for $50 with no shipping I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Lones Green
11-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I would add that if I could get a GCB for $50 with no shipping I'd buy it in a heart beat.

Agreed 100%.

To get into even more detail, which I think is what you want...

You'd get about 2 or 3 plates on each side and unrack the bar and the plates would start clanging into each other and you'd have the effect of the bamboo bar bench times about a million on your spine and you'd end up getting hurt I would bet. You'd end up twisting and the lower back would not like that.

For a cambered bar, you'd be able to load up the weight and squat just as if it was a straight bar (with lower weights and less stress on the shoulders) and not have to worry about a crap load of swinging (no horizontal swing either), you just have the bar swinging a little bit back and forth (vertically) and you have to keep tight to stop it. You'd have much less chance of getting hurt with a cambered bar.

I couldn't even imagine doing goodmornings with a setup like that.

The cambered bar is much less clumsy, IMO hanging plates on straps from collars of a straight bar is not a good idea that would probably get you hurt.

The idea is creative, but just not a proficient substitute.

We used the GCB probably half the training cycle up to the pro/am and I squatted a 125 pound PR in the same gear, its worth your money

Brian Hopper
11-03-2010, 02:58 PM
gmen, is this the strap your talking about?

http://www.liftinglarge.com/spudmonstergmstrap.aspx

Brian Hopper
11-03-2010, 03:10 PM
I just read the post again and I dont think you were talking about the same strap I was. Sorry if I confused you at all, I feel like a d-bag right now. It looks like Lones and Adam understood what you meant, lol. They made it sound more clear then I did.

gmen5681
11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
yeah i was talking about the stump strap. thanks for the info guys. i guess for 50 bucks ill go pick it up. thanks alot everyone.

Brian Hopper
11-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Sorry about that bro, I was thinking about something totally different. But for $50, you can't beat that deal.

gmen5681
11-03-2010, 05:55 PM
no worries, i would have probably gotten frustrated too. haha.

blong
11-04-2010, 07:47 PM
50 bucks is a steal and I love mine for seated and suspended good mornings.