PDA

View Full Version : safety squat bar question

blong
11-04-2010, 06:20 PM
I posted this question in the general chat section earlier and after looking around I think this would have been a better spot, trying to get as many opinions as possible.

My question is regarding the dimensions of a safety squat bar. I recently picked up a bar to make into a SSB with the help of a welder/engineer at work. I was told the handles should be about 15-20 degress in relation to the bar but the question I have is about the amount of camber these bars typically have. Looks like to me alot I have seen have about 4 inches of camber. Anyone who has access to one could let me know what is typical my shouiders would greatly appreciate it.

Lones Green
11-04-2010, 08:38 PM
I don't think they have that much camber, just enough to put the weight out in front of you a little bit

vdizenzo
11-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I have a NY Barbell SSB and it blows, so I can't help. I should have paid the cash and gotten a real SSB. Good luck with yours.

JK1
11-06-2010, 11:19 AM
Blong, you post on the SPF forum correct?

If you are anywhere in Alabama or close by, you are more than welcome to come past my gym and look at my SSB. I have a Crepinsek bar. If you have the money, I'd just invest in a bar from Ralph. They are worth every penny.

If you don't, you can try to rig something from a regular bar. Be aware that with the camber, its going to be off a little bit (A true SSB is longer than 7 feet because of the camber) unless you are planning on cutting and welding in the camber part. I think it may not be as strong either because of metal flex--a Crepinsek bar is a strong bar. That said, you can probably come up with something close that works and saves your shoulders.

Send me a message is you want to see the bar I have.

blong
11-06-2010, 02:31 PM
Blong, you post on the SPF forum correct?

If you are anywhere in Alabama or close by, you are more than welcome to come past my gym and look at my SSB. I have a Crepinsek bar. If you have the money, I'd just invest in a bar from Ralph. They are worth every penny.

If you don't, you can try to rig something from a regular bar. Be aware that with the camber, its going to be off a little bit (A true SSB is longer than 7 feet because of the camber) unless you are planning on cutting and welding in the camber part. I think it may not be as strong either because of metal flex--a Crepinsek bar is a strong bar. That said, you can probably come up with something close that works and saves your shoulders.

Send me a message is you want to see the bar I have.

Yes I do post on the SPF forums. I am actually located in Knoxville so I am a few hours away unfortunately.

The bar I plan to use is about 7ft. 4inches long. I plan on cutting the bar at the end and adding a camber to drop the sleeves where the plates go and that is the measurement needed to know how much to drop it. I ran into a similar issue with the bar flex when making a rackable camber bar and the friend at work just added more bracing across the top and it works great now.
I have seen many variations of SSB's with the camber being from 2 inches to as much as 7 or 8 inches on the internet. I am leaning toward about 4 inches currently.
What is the camber on your Crepinsek bar?
Just trying to save a little money and get the tools needed for the gym and so far using the engineers from work has worked out really well. They have put together a mono attachement for the power rack that has held up to 750 plus and a 14 inch rackable camber bar.

JK1
11-06-2010, 04:50 PM
Yes I do post on the SPF forums. I am actually located in Knoxville so I am a few hours away unfortunately.

The bar I plan to use is about 7ft. 4inches long. I plan on cutting the bar at the end and adding a camber to drop the sleeves where the plates go and that is the measurement needed to know how much to drop it. I ran into a similar issue with the bar flex when making a rackable camber bar and the friend at work just added more bracing across the top and it works great now.
I have seen many variations of SSB's with the camber being from 2 inches to as much as 7 or 8 inches on the internet. I am leaning toward about 4 inches currently.
What is the camber on your Crepinsek bar?
Just trying to save a little money and get the tools needed for the gym and so far using the engineers from work has worked out really well. They have put together a mono attachement for the power rack that has held up to 750 plus and a 14 inch rackable camber bar.

I'll measure it for you tonight and get back with you. The Crepinsek bar appears to be 1 piece, while what i'm understanding with what you are making will be more like a "yoke bar" from Elitefts.com, where the bar has been cut and is dropped with a square piece. I need to think hard and remember if I know anyone who has one of those bars to snag measurements from. I'm not thinking of anyone off the top of my head.

One suggestion if you are making one of these bars---make it with longer handles or make handle extensions on it.

blong
11-06-2010, 05:15 PM
I'll measure it for you tonight and get back with you. The Crepinsek bar appears to be 1 piece, while what i'm understanding with what you are making will be more like a "yoke bar" from Elitefts.com, where the bar has been cut and is dropped with a square piece. I need to think hard and remember if I know anyone who has one of those bars to snag measurements from. I'm not thinking of anyone off the top of my head.

One suggestion if you are making one of these bars---make it with longer handles or make handle extensions on it.

After taking a look at both on the website you are correct JK they are calling what I am picturing a yoke bar I have seen them refered to as a SSB all over the place and accepted that as the given name.. I do plan on putting handles that extend a good ways down (about sternum area). What exactly is the difference between the yoke bar and the SSB as far as feel? They would appear to be very similar.Thanks for the insight

blong
11-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Don't know if the following youtube link works but I found this and Dave Tate explains the very question i posted earlier about the difference between the bars to Jk, After watching it looks more like a 2-3 inch drop on the yoke bar. Thanks again JK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-8wqZsERs

JK1
11-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Don't know if the following youtube link works but I found this and Dave Tate explains the very question i posted earlier about the difference between the bars to Jk, After watching it looks more like a 2-3 inch drop on the yoke bar. Thanks again JK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-8wqZsERs

I measured my bar--its a 4 inch camber.

From what I understand talking with people with the Elitefts bar, its also a 4 inch camber, from the center of the bar on the flat plate. because of the 90 degree turn with a welded plate vs a solid bent rod, it has the appearance of being slightly less of a camber.

If you are having yours made, I'd get it with a 4 inch camber.