PDA

View Full Version : Getting bigger thighs for football

nolanh
11-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Well, i'm 14 and play in high school. I am 5' 10 and 180 pounds. I had a good season, however as a fullback and a middle linebacker I was a little bit slow. I also have relatively small thighs, for next season I would like to get stronger, faster legs. I've been squatting a little bit but the bar on my back hurts so badly I can only do the exercise for so long. Any ideas for a good leg workout?

BoAnderson71
11-05-2010, 07:39 PM
Well, i'm 14 and play in high school. I am 5' 10 and 180 pounds. I had a good season, however as a fullback and a middle linebacker I was a little bit slow. I also have relatively small thighs, for next season I would like to get stronger, faster legs. I've been squatting a little bit but the bar on my back hurts so badly I can only do the exercise for so long. Any ideas for a good leg workout?

starting strength for 6 months. AS far as the bar hurting A) dont do a bunch of reps so its on your back for so long B) build your rear delts with barbell and dumbell rows C) grow a pair. IM not trying to discourage you or make fun of you when I was 14 the bar hurt but you have to get through it, if you plan on being big and strong someday your going to have to endure alot of blood sweat and tears (literally). once you build your rear delts up it wont hurt and you'll get used to it, like I said it hurt me when i first started at 14 now im 19 and ive had 550 pounds on my back.

LanceGoyke
11-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Keep squatting. Eat more. It'll help you more in the long run.

Rows, deadlifts, heavy/loaded push ups. Put some meat on your bones and the bar won't hurt anymore. Also, make sure you're racking it in the right place on your shoulders. Too high and you'll mess with the spinous process of the C7 vertebra if I'm not mistaken (the bump behind your neck).

Kiff
11-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Try to place it on the 'ledge' below the 'bump' i know this does not sound scientific but squeeze it on with your arms, when i first put the bar lower on my back it felt as if it would fall off if i didnt grip it with my arms enough, that worked for me.

Isaac Wilkins
11-21-2010, 07:05 AM
When you're back squatting bull up your upper back and squeeze the bar into it. Imagine that you're trying to bend the bar around your body. That'll help tighten everything up.

That, combined with more work at it and (as the previous poster suggested) growing a pair, will work. You're young in the gym, which is good, so just keep building.

Iplan
11-21-2010, 08:05 AM
Squatting will make your legs bigger, and that will make you a better football player when it comes to filling gaps, etc. ~ as so much of those hits come from lower body leverage.

That said, you're going to need to work on more than just squats to increase speed and quickness.

Here's an article describing the quickness drills the Pats do every day. Consider implementing this into you're offseason training.

http://magazine.stack.com/TheIssue/Article/1325/Quickness_Drills_with_the_New_England_Patriots.aspx