PDA

View Full Version : Military members and chow halls

Slim Schaedle
05-14-2002, 05:01 PM
Just shooting a question out to all those in the Mil. who live on base and utilize the dining hall. Do you guys/gals use it often or just make all your food all the time? I figure since they take 200 bux out of my check each month for the non-optional meal card, I might as well use it, even if some of the food is crappy. Opinions?

G-B
05-14-2002, 05:28 PM
When I was in the Marine Corps I took full advantage of our chow hall. Although our food was rather nasty compared to the food your Air Force people get treated to.

All in all it wasnt too bad. For breakfast we could order eggs (egg whites, omlettes and so on) or boiled eggs. Pancakes, french toast, lost of fruit, toast, OJ, apple juice, potatos, and oatmeal.

We could go back in line for as many servings as we wanted.

Power-BB
05-16-2002, 06:34 AM
My father is in the military and i would have to say, chow hall has some good as food and it's cheap. I ate at one ranked best in the Pacific and it had the best variety and food I have ever tasted.

Power-BB
05-16-2002, 06:35 AM
Also going to a naval base down south, One night they treated us to steak and/or King Crab legs......mmmMmmMmM

Relentless
05-16-2002, 06:51 AM
When I was in the (Canadian) army, I did some of the best eating of my life in mess halls. The food was amazing.

Of course, our hall was very much cafeteria style, with a wide range of choices for food... you rarely got stuck eating something you didn't like. Of course I was never REAL picky.

From a BB perspective, the danger with most military messes is that there's probably way too many carbs and not enough meat. They are usually good about getting veggies into the mix though...

Slim Schaedle
05-16-2002, 01:24 PM
Yes, it is hard to get a nice clean chicken breast or something like that. They have some good stuff, but it's often mixed in with a bunch of crap. On the other hand, all the food is great for my bulking.

Relentless
05-16-2002, 01:27 PM
Hey, you're in the Air Force anyway, arentcha?

I thought it was all champagne and caviar and massages for Air Force punks . . . . :p

Slim Schaedle
05-16-2002, 02:05 PM
Yes you would think so, huh
It blows sometimes...I work mid shift and all they can give us is some dinky box meal that is supposed to last the whole night.

ryuage
05-16-2002, 06:16 PM
I don't know about you but ya I utilize the dining facility cuz heck they take 200 something dollars for it a month.. It's a good place if your bulking .. i don't know about you but mine is all you can eat and it has pretty decent food. heck unlimited fish, baked chicken breasts, pork chops, steak, rice, potatos what not even a fast food line with burgers corn dogs pizza ice cream haha.. sometimes I eat food there then just get a to go box and take some home for later so i get about 4-6 meals in a day. I do sometimes cook my own food if i have no time.. i have tuna, milk, bread, etc in my room so ya..

TheScorpionKing
05-17-2002, 12:13 PM
when i was in the navy i would take a little plastic container with me and put thirds in it!

thats right, thirds!

after i got my meal i would go right back for seconds and get another piece of protein (steak, chicken, tuna, etc. they only give you one of each at a time, those bastards). after my meal i would go for thirds, and put that in my container. i would do this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, this way i always had my 6 meals. it was ace.