PDA

View Full Version : Starting to compete...

iamvoodoo
11-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Hi guys. I'm 17, have been training in powerlifting for just over 6 months now, and I'm going to start competing next year around march. I haven't ever competed, and have been training completely RAW. I'd like to get some gear to compete with in the IPF, but I have absolutely no idea what type of gear is best, so I was hoping I could get a little help. Right now I'm only looking for a Bench shirt + Squat suit, but having a squat suit that works with deadlift would be awesome.
With bench, I have a moderate Arch, and I keep my elbows tucked.
Squat, I have a medium-wide squat stance, and with Deadlift, although I pull more with conventional style, I'm much more comfortable doing sumo and would like to train with sumo deadlift.
Help would be greatly appreciated!

jtteg_x
11-08-2010, 02:18 AM
IMO, the best decision would be to find a local PL gym nearby and commit. Gear is no good without the right training partners that can show you first hand how to operate it. My dumb-ass tried learning a loose fit bench shirt on my own and I didn't know wtf I was doing. I wasted 6 months of training and never ended up competing in it. It would be a good idea to build a solid raw base before getting into equipment.

iamvoodoo
11-08-2010, 02:56 AM
I already have a strong enough base I feel. Unfortunately, there are no PL gyms in my city (closest one is about 2 hours away), but when I start competing next year in March, I will be training with the powerlifting team at the university where I'll be studying. Do you think I should just train RAW until then? Or is there some kind of basic, easy to use gear which will help me for the next 5 months.

Travis Bell
11-08-2010, 04:29 AM
No training partners means training in gear is out. Especially for a beginner

vdizenzo
11-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Train raw for now. It will only continue to improve your base.

iamvoodoo
11-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Thanks a lot guys!
Also, what kind of deadlift stance should I use? I understand that deadlift stance should be dictated by body type... I'm 6 feet tall, have about 20% body fat and weigh around 210 pounds. Should I stick with conventional, or go sumo?

drew
11-08-2010, 07:49 AM
If you really want to get better and train in gear, and the closest PL gym is 2 hours away, I suggest you travel the 2 hours, at least once a week.

Also, I don't know who decided that raw had to be typed in all caps. Like it's somehow the most important word ever.

ScottYard
11-08-2010, 08:09 AM
If you really want to get better and train in gear, and the closest PL gym is 2 hours away, I suggest you travel the 2 hours, at least once a week.

Also, I don't know who decided that raw had to be typed in all caps. Like it's somehow the most important word ever.

I agree. Drive two hours to learn. I can promise you if you train in a shirt alone you will get hurt.