PDA

View Full Version : Walnuts

Codeguru
11-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I guess just as an example, have an amazingly high amount of fat in them that I did not know about, not that I ate them often. But so do most nuts apparently. Although walnuts have the polyunsaturated crap moreso than saturated and to a lesser extent they have the monounsaturated. They say there are all these health benefits to these "good fats", but what does that mean? These walnuts I have list 20g of fat per serving and 200 calories, does having most of that as "good fat" mean it doesn't count negatively towards bodyfat or what? That's like a handful of nuts and maybe 30-50% grams of fat someone will eat all day, not to mention the calories, and that's not a lot of food. I still see people listing nuts in their daily diet, so what is up? If you add something like this to your diet, should that be where a LOT of your daily fat is replaced by?...

Codeguru

PS- Alternatively if Walnuts are just fat with health benefits, I think tuna would be the better omega-3 choice.

Behemoth
11-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Bodyfat accumulation is going to be dictated by energy balance. Walnuts have a lot of calories (energy) so it can be easy to overeat on ones total necessary calories. But the walnuts themselvs will not make you any fatter than eatting the same amount of calories worth of tuna or chicken.

Good fats are necessary, though you really don't need that much. 60-75g of total fat per day should suffice most all of the health benefits we need from them.

Codeguru
11-10-2010, 12:54 PM
Bodyfat accumulation is going to be dictated by energy balance. Walnuts have a lot of calories (energy) so it can be easy to overeat on ones total necessary calories. But the walnuts themselvs will not make you any fatter than eatting the same amount of calories worth of tuna or chicken.

Good fats are necessary, though you really don't need that much. 60-75g of total fat per day should suffice most all of the health benefits we need from them.

Well that's what I was thinking. It only has 5g of protein and 200 calories. I don't see any benefit to it at least if you're on a low calorie diet and have no room for nonsense. I guess it's a good source for "good fat" while still containing some protein value, but I have enough fat in my diet already...

CodeguruX

crazyman17
12-03-2010, 01:05 AM
Walnuts make your brain work, make you think properly, so you don't have to ask questions like this

Codeguru
12-03-2010, 01:52 AM
Walnuts make your brain work, make you think properly, so you don't have to ask questions like this

Wow, that's helpful, good use of your mega brain. Anyway, I'm using walnuts now on my oatmeal to get those buttloads of good fat from it. Definately the best way to boost my fat count with the least amount of calories, plus there's a tiny bit of protein I guess. I personally feel no physical impact of this Omega-3 fad, but whatever, scientists like it...

Codeguru

crazyman17
12-03-2010, 01:56 AM
lol that was probably a bit far, but seriously, i heard walnuts do make you think properly. but like you said nuts are high in calories and fats, thats why they say no more than a handful a day, but they're usually necessary not just for the fats, but also because of other nutritional benefits. apparently much less chance of heart disease etc with a diet consisting of moderate nuts. i love nuts, i tthink i consume a little too much some days.

JamesJo
12-03-2010, 04:40 AM
I usually eat walnuts because it's fairly high in calories. I know about it that contains fat but the fat thing is good for our body.

Codeguru
12-30-2010, 08:04 PM
Ok, does anyone know if there is a difference between the walnuts that are sold in the shells, and the ones just in the packs with no shells? I'm not talking dried out walnuts in the packs, because the nutrition label has the exact same numbers per serving as the ones in the shells and they also have the moistness of something that just came out of the shell. I've looked on multiple nutrition sites but it really only lists two types of walnuts: in shell and blackened/dried, and this is neither. Like I said I don't know if the Omega-3 stuff does any good but I'd like to get all the good stuff I can get if possible and if that part might be missing in the packs is my concern...

Codeguru