PDA

View Full Version : Bench form check

Kevin K
11-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Here's a video from today's bench. I've been having a problem with the bar getting behind my wrist and Travis Bell has been giving me advice to fix it. I would appreciate any input!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqG8VFutozk

vdizenzo
11-11-2010, 09:15 AM
You are way too comfortable on that bench. You need to get much tighter. It's funny, when I give a seminar guys and girls get crazy sore from just the setup that I put them in and that's before they take any weight. You could definitely squeeze your shoulders back harder, push your arch up, squeeze your glutes, keep your hips up, and drive your knees out.

Travis Bell
11-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Kevin, in that video your wrists look pretty straight. Nice work.

As far as the setup, I'd definitely have to agree with Vin. Really drive yourself into the bench hard and pull those shoulder blades in so tight it almost makes your upper back hurt.

Maybe move your feet out wider so that when you drive with your legs your butt doesn't come off.

Kevin K
11-11-2010, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys! It's kinda hard to get a tighter arch with that bench because its slippery. Should I put some chalk on the bench to help get tighter?

vdizenzo
11-11-2010, 06:40 PM
Thanks guys! It's kinda hard to get a tighter arch with that bench because its slippery. Should I put some chalk on the bench to help get tighter?

Yes!

LanceGoyke
11-12-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm imagining you bathing in chalk on that bench. I think that should help you a little bit lolzorz.

Listen to vdizenzo. You need to lock it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IpHHtl8gC4

If you prefer visual learning, Dave Tate has some good videos on teh YouTubez to help out that bench. The big long series (So You Think You Can Bench?) helped me and two other people I know a lot.

theBarzeen
11-12-2010, 08:20 PM
Not that I'm anything special on the bench.... but I agree with Dizenzo.....

pull the shoulders back harder, set up more on the traps, push the belly up, and drive your heels harder....... for how big you are ( no offense meant here) you have a really long ROM....... a good set up will fix that.