PDA

View Full Version : Extra Workouts (question to those at WSBB)

ehopkins932
11-11-2010, 10:00 PM
I've been reading about what Louie calls extra-workouts. I've been doing them in the form of 2 exercises for 2 sets of 25-50 reps for recovery after low intensity cardio twice a week. They are structured like:

Leg Curl 2 sets of 50 (90 second rest), not to failure
Hip Machine 2 sets of 25 (90 second rest), not to failure

Followed by stretching.

Is this how they are intended to be done? In the westside articles Louie talks about doing 4 sets of DB Presses to failure....this seems counterproductive as it seems it would affect training later in the week.

Just curious as how extra workouts are used at westside currently. If Travis or AJ could give some examples that would be great.

NickAus
11-12-2010, 04:46 AM
What your doing looks fine.

I like to do some very light work the day after the main day eg: Saturday-max lower Sunday- ankle weight leg curls, band good-mornings etc very light.

Hope that helps, its working for me.

Travis Bell
11-12-2010, 06:21 AM
Just curious as how extra workouts are used at westside currently. If Travis or AJ could give some examples that would be great.

It's a little different for everyone as far as what they do, but we normally do a bit more volume than you listed there. The whole workout usually takes about 30min and it's very high paced. The weights are kept light

For upper extra workouts it would consist of something like chaos bench, some extensions with ankle weights, some lateral raises with very light weight, some pulldowns and maybe some light seated rows.

Sets are usually in the 3-4 range. For the extensions we usually do 100 reps and just one set.

Basically you're looking to push a lot of blood into the muscles that you trained earlier to aid with recovery. It makes a huge difference in my opinion.

ehopkins932
11-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks Travis. So you take about 30-60seconds between sets?