PDA

View Full Version : Uneven pressing

OGROK
11-14-2010, 07:16 PM
I have been having problems with my right arm coming up stronger than my left arm in the bench press. It only seems to happen when I am pushing maximal weights. I find myself twisting my torso painfully under the bar because my right arm was locking out much sooner than the left. Does anyone have any ideas for how to fix this?

dynamo
11-14-2010, 07:49 PM
stop doing it...lower the weight and work back up...use dumb bells

mastermonster
11-14-2010, 08:26 PM
Check your setup. Particularly your feet placement to make sure they are even with each other. Most of the time our guys have this happen we'll find this to be the problem. They aren't getting even leg drive due to it.

ct67_72
11-15-2010, 09:24 AM
I had the same problem on my heavy sets for a while. I took video and noticed exactly what was stated above. my right foot would fold in and I would loose all my drive on my right side. I fixed my feet and it fixed my bench.

Beverly McD.
11-15-2010, 10:42 AM
It's a pretty common problem OGROCK.
Mastermonster makes a good point. Another thing to try is reversing the order of your set-up when placing your hands on the bar.
If you normally set your right hand on the bar first, set your left first instead. I've seen this be helpful on a few heavy benchers that have lock-out/uneven extension issues.
I can only guess at why it would help. I'm assuming they get in better position with their weaker side and are able to get tighter because of the improved set-up.

Pete22
11-15-2010, 11:41 AM
This happens to me as well. It's even worse when I overhead press. I'll sometimes even set the grip on my "weaker" side a little wider to compensate, but that's probably just setting me up for further imbalance.

AdamBAG
11-15-2010, 12:13 PM
There are some really good tips here...

Another thing to look at is whether or not you are tucking evenly. If you aren't tucking the same amount with both arms the ROM and groove will be slightly different for each arm.

vdizenzo
11-15-2010, 07:55 PM
This happens to me as well. It's even worse when I overhead press. I'll sometimes even set the grip on my "weaker" side a little wider to compensate, but that's probably just setting me up for further imbalance.

I used to do that with my bench at one point and it worked. I can't for the life of me remember when I stopped and how it got better.