PDA

View Full Version : Need help starting a good diet and exersize program.

anakin7279
11-14-2010, 08:02 PM
Hey guys,
I am new to this forum as well as the diet and weight loss world, so I will get directly to the point.

I am 31 years old and could stand to loose about 30 lbs by the BMI (30.3) research that I have done on the net. I am 5'9" with a medium/thick build , weight 205 lbs and my primary focus is to loose fat and tone up. I am not looking for any "wonder drugs" or anything crazy that might damage my health. I am looking for some type of program that will be easy to get started with SAFE sumpliments that will help me achieve the results that I am looking for.

I appreciate your opinions and thank for the help. If I left out any information that you want to know, just ask.

Codeguru
11-14-2010, 08:25 PM
If you want something to start doing right now, drink water, tons of it, ice cold. And break up your meals into at least 5-6 smaller ones with the same amount of food or less. That's how I started off and it definately works. Once you get to the point where you realize you can eat less and less at one time and not be hungry things get easier, you won't snack as often, and your metabolism will speed up immediately when you eat more meals with the same or less calories. And the continuous flow of water helps with a lot of stuff and the ice cold part goes the extra mile in burning off around 1 Calorie per ounce, and frankly luke warm water tastes like crap to me...

Codeguru

TKisner
11-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Eating 5 or 6 meals as opposed to a standard 3 doesn't affect metabolism

Codeguru
11-15-2010, 01:01 PM
Eating 5 or 6 meals as opposed to a standard 3 doesn't affect metabolism

Well then it conjures up magical fairies that wished off my fat. Whatever it does it worked well for the bulk of the fat. As for getting down to "cut" status, I'm still working on that myself...

CodeguruX

TKisner
11-15-2010, 06:24 PM
You really should stop perpetuating all fallacies. You continuously reply with misinformed and incorrect information. Try listening to people around here. This is quoted from Martin Berkham's leangains site http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html You can go there to read the links and further your understanding of how frequent meals DO NOT increase your metabolism.

Each time you eat, metabolic rate increases slightly for a few hours. Paradoxically, it takes energy to break down and absorb energy. This is the Thermic Effect of Food (TEF). The amount of energy expended is directly proportional to the amount of calories and nutrients consumed in the meal.

Let's assume that we are measuring TEF during 24 hours in a diet of 2700 kcal with 40% protein, 40% carbohydrate and 20% fat. We run three different trials where the only thing we change is the the meal frequency.

A) Three meals: 900 kcal per meal.

B) Six meals: 450 kcal per meal.

C) Nine meals: 300 kcal per meal.

What we'd find is a different pattern in regards to TEF. Example "A" would yield a larger and long lasting boost in metabolic rate that would gradually taper off until the next meal came around; TEF would show a "peak and valley"-pattern. "C" would yield a very weak but consistent boost in metabolic rate; an even pattern. "B" would be somewhere in between.

However, at the end of the 24-hour period, or as long as it would take to assimilate the nutrients, there would be no difference in TEF. The total amount of energy expended by TEF would be identical in each scenario. Meal frequency does not affect total TEF. You cannot "trick" the body in to burning more or less calories by manipulating meal frequency.

Further reading: I have covered the topic of meal frequency at great length on this site before.

The most extensive review of studies on various meal frequencies and TEF was published in 1997. It looked at many different studies that compared TEF during meal frequencies ranging from 1-17 meals and concluded:

"Studies using whole-body calorimetry and doubly-labelled water to assess total 24 h energy expenditure find no difference between nibbling and gorging".

Since then, no studies have refuted this. For a summary of the above cited study, read this research review by Lyle McDonald.

Earlier this year, a new study was published on the topic. As expected, no differences were found between a lower (3 meals) and higher meal (6 meals) frequency. Read this post for my summary of the study. This study garnered some attention in the mass media and it was nice to see the meal frequency myth being debunked in The New York Times.

Origin

Seeing how conclusive and clear research is on the topic of meal frequency, you might wonder why it is that some people, quite often RDs in fact, keep repeating the myth of "stoking the metabolic fire" by eating small meals on a frequent basis. My best guess is that they've somehow misunderstood TEF. After all, they're technically right to say you keep your metabolism humming along by eating frequently. They just missed that critical part where it was explained that TEF is proportional to the calories consumed in each meal.

Another guess is that they base the advice on some epidemiological studies that found an inverse correlation between high meal frequency and body weight in the population. What that means is that researchers may look at the dietary pattern of thousands individuals and find that those who eat more frequently tend to weigh less than those who eat less frequently. It's important to point out that these studies are uncontrolled in terms of calorie intake and are done on Average Joes (i.e. normal people who do not count calories and just eat spontaneously like most people).

There's a saying that goes "correlation does not imply causation" and this warrants further explanation since it explains many other dietary myths and fallacies. Just because there's a connection between low meal frequencies and higher body weights, doesn't mean that low meal frequencies cause weight gain. Those studies likely show that people who tend to eat less frequently have:

* Dysregulated eating patterns; the personality type that skips breakfast in favor of a donut in the car on the way to work, undereat during the day, and overeat in the evening. They tend to be less concerned with health and diet than those who eat more frequently.

* Another feasible explanation for the association between low meal frequencies and higher body weight is that meal skipping is often used as a weight loss strategy. People who are overweight are more likely to be on a diet and eat fewer meals.

The connection between lower meal frequency and higher body weight in the general population, and vice versa, is connected to behavioral patterns - not metabolism.

TKisner
11-15-2010, 06:30 PM
In the past I have been highly critical of lower meal frequency, but much of that was a product of being stuck in the dogma of the mainstream curriculum. None of the 'stoking of the metabolic fire' stuff has been solidly supported by research.
- Alan Aragon

Here's an article citing numerous studies about how multiple meals don't increase metabolism.
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/logic-does-not-apply-part-1-meal-frequency/

No mention of fairies in any of these.

Codeguru
11-15-2010, 07:36 PM
In the past I have been highly critical of lower meal frequency, but much of that was a product of being stuck in the dogma of the mainstream curriculum. None of the 'stoking of the metabolic fire' stuff has been solidly supported by research.
- Alan Aragon

Here's an article citing numerous studies about how multiple meals don't increase metabolism.
http://articles.elitefts.com/articles/nutrition/logic-does-not-apply-part-1-meal-frequency/

No mention of fairies in any of these.

You can post all the crap you want, the point is I have experience with this because I did it, it worked because the fat came off at the amount I stipulated, and so there's my advice. I couldn't care less what your opinion is of me so this is the last time I will ever respond to you...

CodeguruX

RichMcGuire
11-15-2010, 08:02 PM
You can post all the crap you want, the point is I have experience with this because I did it, it worked because the fat came off at the amount I stipulated, and so there's my advice. I couldn't care less what your opinion is of me so this is the last time I will ever respond to you...

CodeguruX

You shouldn't ignore the science though.

I have a feeling what you say worked for you because for some people satiety can be a problem with 2-3 bigger meals. Binging is more likely. Where as with 6 meals a day, you can eat a lot of "clean" foods and be pretty damn full. But this will have no change in thermic effects

The cold water thing might have some truth to it. It takes energy to warm the water in the body..but this is probably minimal. The biggest thing water can do is neutralize digestive enzymes so you feel bloated and full with your meals. This could cause someone to eat less.

The trend though, is all about total kcals.