PDA

View Full Version : Approaching strength and power, head first! (POM's journal)

Power of Mind
11-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Well though this account is new, I've tried posting on these forums before and could never quite keep a consistent journal. For desire of wanting to better myself, I am going to be posting here daily now!

My goals include a double BW bench, and triple bodyweight squat/dead (raw but with belt/wrist straps). These are just my gym goals, my real goal is to compete and dominate in North American Strongman. Current best lifts in gym are a 380 lb. bench, 455 lb. squat and 415 deadlift. I've never gave much attention to squatting, and even less attention to deadlifting. I'm changing this now and will be squatting twice a week and deadlifting once.

My split is something like this:

Monday:
Squats: 1x20
Pullovers:1x20
3 circuits of dips, pullups, and decline situps

Wednesday:
Deadlifts: Heavy 6's to heavy 3's and singles
Seated DB military press: 3x8
Bent rows: 3x12
Incline bench: 4x6

Friday: same as Monday

Just a variation of super squats/squats and milk. A recent run-in with a live chainsaw is currently leaving my right hand stitched, swollen and sore, but I am accommodating as much as I can. I expect to be back to full capabilities within a week or two.

My diet is something I'm trying to work on. Between working full time and going to school full time, it's been a struggle and will likely remain a struggle to have a consistent diet. I'm not trying to bulk or cut, just eat enough calories and protein to allow growth.

The only supplement I am taking and/or can afford to take is SuperPump250 (http://www.gasparinutrition.com/products/superpump250/).

I am going to USF for Athletic Training and it's my hope to open up a strength gym. Something similar to Joe DeFranco's gym but with my own style as well. As far as I see it, my success as a lifter and/or strongman will have a big effect on my appeal to the public as a strength coach.

My final statement is that I am very interested in learning. If anyone wants to post articles related to just about anything strength/fitness/health/diet, I'm more than happy to read and learn!

Peace!

Power of Mind
11-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Today I worked out for the first time since splitting my hand open over the weekend. I didn't expect to do anything but machine work since I can't even squeeze my right hand yet, but I was able to do some squats despite the injury. Now that I know I'm capable of squatting, I'll be hitting them hard on Friday with my first official super squat workout!

Today's workout:
Brisk jog on treadmill for 8 minutes
Squats: 135x8, 300x14, 225x14
Calf raises: 3x10 with ~250 lbs
BW lunges: 3x12 each leg

Weight: 223.5 lbs.

Not really a long or demanding workout. When I was doing 300 I didn't have my hands on the bar but rather they were facing up and I was resting the bar on my shoulders and balancing it with the nooks of my elbows. It was a bit hard to balance so I didn't really get the workout I wanted, but hey it's not a bad day back considering the injury!

Breakfast: 2 eggs, 1 slice cheese, 2 pieces bread, milk
Lunch: 1 can white chicken breast, milk
Dinner will be some beefy chili! :) and of course, MILK!

Looking forward to a full squat workout Friday, and even more to next week when I will hopefully be able to use my right hand!

Power of Mind
11-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Did my first balls to the wall super squat workout today... my was it fun.

285x20
pullovers 30lbsx20
2 circuits dips (~20 each) pullups (~5 each) decline situps

Sounds simple but man it was one of the toughest workouts of my life. By the time I put that bar down on the 20th rep... Definitely glad I did 285 rather than 300. I definitely feel like my legs could handle the weight, but maybe not my endurance. Something I'll just have to work on, 5-10 lbs. at a time!!

Really though, my legs felt less drained than the rest of me. Mostly just the nausea got to me. Took me a good 20 minutes to stomach up walking out of the locker room.. It's funny, I didn't even feel all that blasted after the 20 rep squats. I mean it was tough, but I still felt like I could workout. By the time I got to the decline situps on my 2nd circuit I thought for sure I was going to puke on the way up lol.

Didn't have anything to puke though; need to eat more! 4 eggs and a slice of cheese does not provide enough energy for this workout a few hours later :(

Speaking of diet...
Breakfast: 4 eggs, 1 slice cheese
2 1/2 scoops SuperPump250 before workout
Large protein smoothie after workout... I felt like if I didn't get some sort of nutrients in me I'd just remain dazed and confused all day.

And I think that's the truth! Just the walk to the smoothie stand in the gym took a loooot of effort but once I started sipping on that smoothie I trekked across campus (good 2 mile walk).

Looking forward to next week; stitches coming out Sunday so will be fully prepared for full body workout next week! And I must EAT MORE on squat days... I'm starving as I type this.

On a side note: Talked to 2 personal trainers today, one at USF gym and one at Lifestyles. The one at USF threw me a figure of 15/hr as a personal trainer and recommended NASM for certification.. The lady at Lifestyles Family Fitness much more begrudgingly told me their PT's get minimum wage or commission.. and wasn't really willing to talk to me about anything else.

Any personal trainers out there that I could talk to, would love to spit some questions.

Thanks

Power of Mind
11-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Today's workout:

300x12. this was veeeeeeery taxing today. Felt like 285 did at the 18th rep. maybe couldve gotten a few more, but likely not 20. looking back though, i probably should have done as many as possible. oh well
300x8 after a few minutes rest
pullovers: 1x20 with 30 lb bar

1 circuit
7 pullups
15 dips
15 decline situps

i felt very bad today in the gym. sucks because nothing else went my way today either, and i was planning on breaking the habit and killing it. mentally i was as there as could be but physically i just couldn't perform. could have to do with the serious lack of sleep ive had lately. spent 6 hours at the hospital with my bud yesterday, then 4 hours on hw, then 8 hours at work, then a few more hours of studying. Didn't get some shut eye til 4 am and was up at 8.

also having trouble eating. Thinking it's due to all the stress ive been under. I'm just going to try and get ahold of some different and more appealing foods for a while. change of pace. after all ive been living off of the same 4 meals for 3 months now... i should also probably invest in some multivitamins..

once again towards the end of my workout today i felt crazy stomach pain. the best thing i can relate it to is getting really drunk on an empty stomach. and that's probably it; i had an empty stomach again. Though i did have a 4-egg sandwich this morning, and a half a can of chicken an hour before my workout. the worst part has got to be my lack of desire to eat. after my workout i tried to eat the other half of my chicken, but couldn't stomach it.

maybe it's the superpump im taking. i know it's a serious supplement and isn't meant to be taken on an empty stomach. but in high school i'd go several hours without eating and then take my SP and workout and feel great.

is it possible that super squats are hittin me that hard that it completely burns off every ounce of food in me? because so far both sessions have left me with an empty stomach and pain.

on a side note, not happy about my performance today. i have been sick for 3 weeks, so that may only be adding to my struggle. but also decided im not quite in the best shape anymore. a few months off will do that for you :( so im considering this 6 week super squat my kick back into shape!

stitches are out, looking forward to some pulling wednesday!!

Today's diet:
4 eggs on sandwich bread + cheese
half a can of chicken on bread
rice + pork chops

Power of Mind
11-22-2010, 05:38 PM
So far I haven't felt much of a physical boost from these super squats. My legs weren't even sore after Friday's lifting. Yes, I know that soreness doesn't have any relation to gains. But still, I am the kind of guy that usually gets sore from squats! Could be adapting to them though since this is the most I've squatted in a row.. Ya, 3 workouts in 2 weeks is my best. Sad right?

I just didn't feel very strong all weekend. Ordinarily I feel stronger after my workouts. So far this feels more like a cardio routine than anything. For instance I feel like I could've put 450 on the bar for a single even after my 12 and 8 of 300 today.

Going to start doing some form of cardio on tuesdays/thursdays from here on out. May help shapen me up.

Looking forward to my next few workouts and seeing if it feels better!

Power of Mind
11-29-2010, 01:10 PM
Been a week since a real day in the gym. Wasn't home much or in town for most of the thanksgiving break (which is long for us college students :p). Slightly accommodated with some little workouts here and there.

Today's workout:
Squats: 135x6, 225x6, 295x6, 325x6, 365x5
Deadlifts: 135x6, 225x6, 275x3

Felt like crap again. Weight today was 227 lbs. I think I'm just now discovering how much weaker I am than when I was in high school. Seems like years ago but 7 months of non stop work work work and no working out has literally put me in a body i don't know how to operate yet.

Wrists are sore from boxing this weekend. Wondering how I could strengthen my wrists? I have big thick forearms but my hands and wrists are pretty skinny and weak. (At least, I think so...)

Not sure what I'm doing at this point. I need to just settle down on a routine, but even more importantly I just need to get back in shape. I've been smoking more and more since high school, and cardio didn't exist for some length of time.

Thinking of doing something like SS. As sad as it sounds, I think I need a "fresh start". My body just feels unbalanced. My cardio system gives out before my muscles do. My body just feels genuinely weaker.

Wondering what all needs to be fixed. I don't eat much often, I don't get to eat for long periods of time, and when I do eat it's usually ****. This is a huuuuge problem, but I just get tired of the same damn meals. Why must canned chicken be the only affordable meal for me right now, damn you college diet!

Should also probably sleep more. Schedule feels busier and busier each day and sleep is sitting on the sidelines to many other things..

Hoping to seriously kick my ass into gear over christmas break. If anyone has any advice for any of the issues presented above; feel free to pipe in. If not, I'll just have to toughen up, make some changes, and keep at it.

Edit: My wrists have been in pain for the last 3 years. In high school I blamed power cleans and frequent heavy lifting. Now I don't know what to blame aside from boxing, but I'd like to continue boxing. Any ideas would be helpful. It's only a slight pain sometimes but there's been times (in high school, after/during power cleans) where my wrists have been sprained and couldn't move at all.

Power of Mind
12-03-2010, 02:36 PM
On Wednesday I did a lot of upper body. First good upper workout in a while!

Flat bench:
135x12
225x5
235x5
265x5
275x5
295x4

Seated military press:
3x8 with ~120 lbs.

Then a bunch of rows and cable work. Never really done the cable work before but it was fun

Dips: 3x15

Pullups: 3x5

Felt great and am still sore 2 days later

Power of Mind
12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Tried to find a 4 rep max today but didn't sleep much last night and didn't eat anything good today so I still feel like I could do better at best performance.

Squats:
135x8
225x5
315x4
385x4
405x2

I still believe I can do 405x4 right now but for routine purposes im counting 395x4 as my current 4RM (for 5/3/1 calculations) I did 395x4 just a few weeks ago.

Leg extensions, leg curls + calf raises x2 sets different weights

Box jumps 2x8 on the highest one in the gym (not very tall though)

Tons of ab work and lower back work.

Feeling good! Weighed in at 223 today, happy about that. But haven't been eating enough!

Starting 5/3/1 next week 3 day split :)

Power of Mind
12-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Been a while since i've posted, but I have been working out.

Low-bar squats:
135x12
225x8
275x5
295x5
315x5
335x5
355x5

lots of volume, just couldn't help myself! definitely had more in the tank after the 355. Liking low bar squats a lot, haven't felt one bit of pain in my back on squats! and it just seems easier to get parallel this way, more natural.

Deadlifts:
135x8
135x8

Calf raises + leg extensions
Other back work on some machine
Lots of abs

Felt pretty good after all of this. I am really trying to figure out what my problem is when deadlifting.