PDA

View Full Version : Inevitable injury?

mchicia1
11-17-2010, 12:48 PM
If you are a powerlifter, do you think it is just a ticking time bomb in terms of getting badly injured? Or are there preventative measures you can take to avoid it? Been reading a lot lately and it seems like most, if not all, the advanced up to elite powerlifters have either badly hurt their lower back, torn a bicep, or torn a pec at one point in their lives. Could these injuries have been prevented or are they just the nature of the sport?

AdamBAG
11-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Some things can be prevented by properly stretching and prehabbing etc., but injuries will and do happen. I will say that a lot of injuries people have are from overuse and aren't the type of thing that happens all at once. If you push your body to and beyond its limits things can break. It's just the nature of competing at a high level in any sport.

Athletes at the top of their sports are trying to perform, not be healthy. I think that's a mistake a lot of people on the outside of things make. That goes for any sport really.

BloodandThunder
11-17-2010, 02:03 PM
Powerlifters in general are a rare breed. We often disregard nags and pains and continue with training to push our numbers. I believe though that the increased attention paid to GPP, common sense, and prehab/rehab over the years in the PL community will lead to fewer injuries. Throw in proper deloading and time off as well as respect for your out of gym life and it's possible to have a long term career, serious injury free.

But in retrospect, I walk every day to work. I could easily get hit by a car. I can easily get poisoned by the food I eat. My job could potentially kill me if I don't pay attention. Everday in the paper there seems to be something that is pushed in our face that is threatening to us. Either way, I'm going to continue to wake up and go through life. Same thing with training. As long as I can squat past parallel with a BB on my back, lower a BB to my chest, and pick one up off a floor, I'll be a PLer.

LanceGoyke
11-17-2010, 02:10 PM
I think the REALLY strong guys get injured so often because they don't focus on dialing back at all.

Yes, you can help prevent injuries by training smart, but ultimately, if something drastic doesn't happen to you, the wear and tear on your joints will get you.

Post-meet is a great time to change up your training. Higher reps to develop connective tissues and tendons and such. Too many guys try to fit in 4 or 5 meets in a year and don't let their body recover.

mchicia1
11-17-2010, 02:15 PM
believe though that the increased attention paid to GPP, common sense, and prehab/rehab over the years in the PL community will lead to fewer injuries.

Yes, this is what I do right now to stay injury free. I had a time where I couldn't lift for 4 months and didn't like it at all. Turned out, all I needed to do was keeps my hips mobile and take a deload every 4th week. Been great ever since. But then I started 2nd guessing myself and now I am starting to believe that the only reason I have been injury free is because my lifts are relatively intermediate now and as I progress, I will get these "inevitable" injuries. Hopefully I am wrong!

ScottYard
11-17-2010, 02:49 PM
**** happens........

That pretty much sums it up lol

I went 10 years competing without injury before I tore my bicep tendon. And it was a 10 rep set on a tenth rep.

mchicia1
11-17-2010, 02:52 PM
**** happens........

That pretty much sums it up lol

I went 10 years competing without injury before I tore my bicep tendon. And it was a 10 rep set on a tenth rep.

10 Years is great! Did you tear it on a bicep curl? Or deadlifting or what?

MarcusWild
11-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Injuries happen in all sports. I think the higher-level you get the more risk for injury there is. The people at the top of any sport are pushing their bodies to the absolute limit.

LanceGoyke
11-17-2010, 06:37 PM
Injuries happen in all sports. I think the higher-level you get the more risk for injury there is. The people at the top of any sport are pushing their bodies to the absolute limit.

+1 on that.