PDA

View Full Version : GarageGorilla's Home Training

GarageGorilla
11-18-2010, 06:22 PM
Like I mentioned in my introductory thread, I work full-time plus some in a demanding job so I don't really have the time for a conventional gym. Fortunately I had some good years before my long hiatus and managed to acquire some items for home use, so now I train out of my garage exclusively.

My current routine is a simple two day a week split (one day lower, the other upper) where I pick one main exercise and crush myself, then do a couple other small ones and that's it. Day One is lower body day, where I focus primarily on bottom position squats (starting from the parallel position and going to standing, then lowering it back down slowly) and finish with some pull-ups and Rolling Thunder lifts (a one-handed deadlift handle that is 2.5" wide and rotates while you pull). Day Two is upper body day, where I get out into my driveway and focus primarily on the log clean and press (doing the clean from an old car tire to the chest, then doing a strict press), and end with some chin-ups and heavy grippers.

My current maxes for Day One are 315 for the bottom position squat, 5x5 for pull-ups, and 95 for the Rolling Thunder. Day Two current maxes are 145 for the log clean and press, 5x5 for chin-ups, and I can close the HG200 for 1-2 shaky reps per hand. I'm 5'8" and 185 pounds right now. For my two main exercises, I just do a lot of singles. 5 progressive singles to warm up, and 5-10 work singles at anywhere from 80-90%.

I may also log in some of my martial art classes/workouts and runs and the like too, we'll see how this goes. Thanks for reading.

StLRPh
11-18-2010, 07:01 PM
this log is eerily familiar :) Looking forward to seeing your training.

GarageGorilla
11-18-2010, 07:08 PM
this log is eerily familiar :) Looking forward to seeing your training.

After reading your journal, I can see why!

GarageGorilla
11-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Bottom Position Squats - 4 progressive singles to warm up, then did 280 for 10 singles.

Rolling Thunder Lifts - 85 per hand for 5 singles.

Pull-Ups - 5 sets of 3 reps, slow and controlled.

Hand Grippers - Warmed up with the COC Trainer x10 reps, then did 5 cheat closes per hand with the HG200.

StLRPh
11-21-2010, 07:25 PM
Bottoms Up Squats are the devil...great job on everything. I have an old (10+ years) Capt of Crush #1 that I can't consistently shut even though I can do 20 reps with the Trainer. Do you like the HG200 better? I need to find a gripper to bridge the gap.

GarageGorilla
11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Thanks StLRPh. I have the entire HG set and the COCs 1-3. The HGs make a nice way to work in between grippers. The HG150 is a bit tougher than the Trainer but not as tough as a #1 so it would be a good in-between gripper. It's nice having a variety.