PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to say something about milk

Phenom
11-19-2010, 01:32 AM
Of all the supplements I've tried (whey proteins, blends, weight gainers, creatine), nothing has given me better results in terms of strength and size than milk. About 2 months ago I decided to take the GOMAD diet and cut it in half, and since then have drank half a gallon of whole milk every day on top of my current diet. 1200 calories, 64 grams of protein, and it works amazing for me.

I'm gaining weight at a rate that I'm very happy with, and my lifts are continuing to go up.

Anyone who is having trouble bulking, I recommend adding at least a half gallon of milk to your diet. Like I said, it's worked better than any supplement I've used so far.

ThomasG
11-19-2010, 01:38 AM
Great post. Milk is the shiz. I drink quite a bit and whenever I'm drinking lots of milk I'm always setting pr's. Whenever people asked me how I got strong or big or what supplements I use I always reply milk!

tom183
11-19-2010, 03:34 AM
GOMAD worked for me.

RichMcGuire
11-19-2010, 04:35 AM
I've done GOMAD as well. I have mixed feelings. On one side, it helped greatly to increase body weight at an affordable rate. However, it also helped to increase body fat at an unnecessary rate.

So in the end, I think it's extremely important to consider overall Calories when someone does GOMAD. People who gain 2-3 lbs a week are only kidding themselves with how much muscle they are actually gaining. But with that said, I think it's one of the best supplements around for practical purposes.

ThomasG
11-22-2010, 08:29 PM
I've done GOMAD as well. I have mixed feelings. On one side, it helped greatly to increase body weight at an affordable rate. However, it also helped to increase body fat at an unnecessary rate.

So in the end, I think it's extremely important to consider overall Calories when someone does GOMAD. People who gain 2-3 lbs a week are only kidding themselves with how much muscle they are actually gaining. But with that said, I think it's one of the best supplements around for practical purposes.

Yea 2-3lbs a week is too fast unless your a 130lb skinny bastard. However, there are people out there that can eat like crazy and do gomad and struggle to gain a lb a week. I did gomad last year and ate like a madman and it was hard as hell to gain weight. I dunno how I'd bulk without milk.

Kiff
11-22-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't want to make a claim that I would find it impossible to bulk without milk but it would be tough to say the least!

mike mcgee
11-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Great post. Milk is the shiz. I drink quite a bit and whenever I'm drinking lots of milk I'm always setting pr's. Whenever people asked me how I got strong or big or what supplements I use I always reply milk!

I agree, milk is the shiz. A lot of stuff I've read, except from the haters, states milk with its balance of fats, carbs, protein, vitamins and mineral is nearly a perfect food. I think from everyone on here that praises the gains they make while drinking milk, that it has to have some truth to it.

Tom Mutaffis
11-24-2010, 09:34 AM
When I am working to increase mass I will usually drink 2-3 glasses of milk before bed, works well as long as you are not prone to stomach issues.

JSully
11-24-2010, 10:27 AM

using skim or even 1% can fix that issue.. like you said in your other thread, dietary fat when in a surplus goes right to storage. no matter which fat% milk you're drinking, the protein and carbs are the same

:thumbup:

JSully
11-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I also love milk, however, it makes me lol about people who "try" to drink GOMAD.

I drink a half to 3/4 gallon of milk with dinner just because I love me some milk. I feel that the worse part about cutting is cutting out my milk content. I would go through a gallon and a half a day if my wife didn't get on my ass about drinking all of our milk. LMAO, it's sad when you buy 6 gallons of milk and they last 4 days.

joey54
11-24-2010, 10:56 AM
It seems like nothing is as controversial a topic in nutrition for lifting as milk consumption. There are so many both against and for the use of milk in one's diet. Yet it seems most of those who don't use milk still drink whey and/or casien protein shakes. It seems lactase has been the main culprit in the anti-milk campaign.

salvo91
12-06-2010, 05:44 PM
milk FTW!

ffkjj
12-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Milk makes the vanilia and chocolate protein shakes taste good too!

manowar669
12-08-2010, 07:16 PM
using skim or even 1% can fix that issue.. like you said in your other thread, dietary fat when in a surplus goes right to storage. no matter which fat% milk you're drinking, the protein and carbs are the same

:thumbup:

Exactly, just dial in your cals with the appropriate fat content milk. I will say, however, after 20+ years doing this, that there is something about milk. For the same calories, milk seems to add bodyweight. I went dairy free for a few years, and subbed equi-caloric meals for the dairy meals, and weight-gain was harder. As soon as I added milk again, I gain weight easily, same calories. Rippetoe has a quote to the same effect, more colorful than my post, stating the same thing, but involving hundreds of subjects.

Time+Patience
12-08-2010, 09:38 PM
Exactly, just dial in your cals with the appropriate fat content milk.

What I commonly do is buy both skim milk and whole milk and I'll rotate which one I drink depending on what my goal is for my fat intake. If it's a lower carb and higher fat day, then it's the whole milk, and if it's a workout day with lower fat and higher carbs, you got it I'm drinking the skim milk.

I like how you can alter how much fat you take in just by purchasing a different grade of milk. I don't keep track, I just open it up and chug gulps at a time when I need something in me.

mchicia1
12-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Milk FTW. I hate eating food in bulk, so If I didn't have milk I would still be 185 pounds for sure.

soclydeza
12-10-2010, 07:40 PM
milk actually makes you lose muscle mass. it is repulsive and i lost all my gains when i started drinking it.

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im actually drinkin my milk right now, it is gods gift to weight lifters.

BigMike230
12-21-2010, 01:44 PM
What I commonly do is buy both skim milk and whole milk and I'll rotate which one I drink depending on what my goal is for my fat intake. If it's a lower carb and higher fat day, then it's the whole milk, and if it's a workout day with lower fat and higher carbs, you got it I'm drinking the skim milk.

I like how you can alter how much fat you take in just by purchasing a different grade of milk. I don't keep track, I just open it up and chug gulps at a time when I need something in me.

I'm going to try this out....do you ever feel less full when drinking skim as opposed to the same quantity as whole milk?

Cirino83
12-21-2010, 01:58 PM
the only time milk was a bad choice was in anchorman

4g64fiero
12-23-2010, 11:45 PM
My personal experience with GOMAD is it was the single largest contributor to my gains given my amateur level of lifting. If you eat some vegetables, a chicken breast, and a gallon of milk you've got alot covered. Just add calories from there for your needs IMO.

NoMoreFatChix
12-29-2010, 06:09 AM
I thought I was a hardgainer... until I started drinking lots of whole milk.

Jilla82
12-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Im starting to drink a good amount of milk...but I refuse to drink anything but organic milk.

Ruff Riff
12-30-2010, 09:20 AM
I love milk! My wife hates that I love milk cause she has to buy lots of it!

Wtih a one year old and a 2.5 year old and me, we drink mass amounts of milk!

CarlP
12-30-2010, 04:19 PM
I thought I was a hardgainer... until I started drinking lots of whole milk.

That's the cure for most "hardgainers", drink milk and eat more.

madadam
01-04-2011, 10:11 AM
As a great bodybuilder once said:

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink banana milk."

Norwich Muscles
01-07-2011, 08:02 AM
What type of milk? Milk has sugar, so for office workers like me who are sitting on the rears a big portion of the day, I dont want to be drinking large amounts of milk... Also are you just not sure that you are able to drink more of milk, then say food because it is less filling and are getting more protein?

Invain
01-07-2011, 07:46 PM
I also love milk, however, it makes me lol about people who "try" to drink GOMAD.

I drink a half to 3/4 gallon of milk with dinner just because I love me some milk. I feel that the worse part about cutting is cutting out my milk content. I would go through a gallon and a half a day if my wife didn't get on my ass about drinking all of our milk. LMAO, it's sad when you buy 6 gallons of milk and they last 4 days.

Bahah I used to be the same way. Drank a gallon a day when I was bulking, could have easily drank two because I love whole milk so much. Nothing beats a glass of milk when you're eating food. Nothing.

Invain
01-07-2011, 07:49 PM
What type of milk? Milk has sugar, so for office workers like me who are sitting on the rears a big portion of the day, I dont want to be drinking large amounts of milk... Also are you just not sure that you are able to drink more of milk, then say food because it is less filling and are getting more protein?

I wouldn't worry about the carbs in milk very much. I think there's something like 13 grams in 8 oz. Chances are if you lift regularly it'll all go to liver glycogen before anything else.

Behemoth
01-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Bahah I used to be the same way. Drank a gallon a day when I was bulking, could have easily drank two because I love whole milk so much. Nothing beats a glass of milk when you're eating food. Nothing.

Maybe a dark beer. But I agree, I love milk too. Two years ago I was bulking hard and picked up a gallon of whole on my way to work everyday and made sure it was gone after 8 hrs.

I wouldn't worry about the carbs in milk very much. I think there's something like 13 grams in 8 oz. Chances are if you lift regularly it'll all go to liver glycogen before anything else.

There's been a lot of carb hating around here lately, so I'll raise a glass of skim and drink to that!

ThomasG
06-15-2011, 08:32 AM
OMG I miss whole milk! Come bulking season I'll be enjoying a nice cold tall glass of whole milk :) I want to get some raw milk this year too!

joelhall
06-22-2011, 03:56 PM

Buy lactose free milk. The mrs has this as she's allergic, and it's not a great deal different in taste.

Then again I always bung strawberries and bananas in mine :)

skinnyboyo
06-23-2011, 04:47 AM
I've just started the GOMAD diet along with other high carb diet. I'm going from 1000k/cal per day to quite a big jump of 5000-6000 per day! I don't find it too difficult to have the milk along with other meals, after an hour or so I've lost than bloated feeling so I'm ready for a snack/meal 1hour later or so.

I try to mix it up a bit so it's not just the same bland whole milk all the time by adding some milkshake flavoring to it!