PDA

View Full Version : first meet and happy as hell

dedsqtbnch
11-19-2010, 10:31 AM
ok so kinda a lot i wanna ask so dont get mad lol.

this year i went to a local meet (clash for cash) and loved it it was my first one. i did not compete though. so i said next year im doing every thing in my power to get into it. i have kept in contact with the guy that runs every thing and he told me next year in may there will be a qualifing total meet that lifters must meet to get in the clash for cash.

so i look at myself and the totals. i am at 228 right now big belly around 20% to 25% body fat my lifts are

bench 405 in gym
squat 425 at home
dead 425 at home

if i compete at 220 i have to lose 5 pounds and make a total of 1400
if at 198 loose 20 pounds and water weight befor weigh in and make a total of 1350
or cut about 30 to 35 pounds drop the rest water or so befor weigh in and make a 1250 total which i could prob do now considering i havnt maxed my dead and squat in 3 months

the meet is in 5and a half months and i started my diet already and seem to be at 223 to 224 the last few days

am i making the wrong decition trying to get into the 181 class i really want this and its local so me and my wife wont have to take off work

also who has the best fitting singlets i went to get one from prowrist wraps with my belt but they were out for the 180 to 220. i also looked at the house of pain ones

any help guys

dedsqtbnch
11-19-2010, 10:32 AM
oh and after weigh in eat like a horse to get some power back

AdamBAG
11-19-2010, 10:44 AM
I think trying to go from 225 to the 181s for a first meet would be a very poor choice for a first meet.

Just do it at whatever weight you are at. If you must drop down, just go to the 220s.

ct67_72
11-19-2010, 02:54 PM
You can already qualify for your current weight so I dont see any reason to try and drop weight to get in at a lower total unless you are going to be extremely competitive or set a record. Especially for your first meet. You dont know how cutting will affect your performance and it would really suck to go in at a lighter weight and bomb. Go in at whatever you weight for your first time and make sure you do well. I cut weight for a meet recently and it was definitely a bad decision. I bombed and it really served me no benefit to cut, just wanted to see if I could do it.

Sean S
11-19-2010, 04:23 PM
Trying to drop a bunch of weight for your first meet is a bad idea. Lift at whatever weight you are at and get stronger at your current weight.

JSully
11-19-2010, 04:56 PM
you're currently at 1255 and you're only 3lbs above 220. IMO, there's really no reason you can't make a 1400lb total in 5 months if you're training consistently. I would add in some banded box squats and speed pulls against bands. Your squat and dead #s will soar..

Last thing you want is to be nailing 1400 in the gym, then try to cut weight and bomb out by 20lbs and miss the qualifier.

dedsqtbnch
11-19-2010, 06:21 PM
Man that would be cool a1400 total but this year alone my lifts went up from 300 even so that's over 300 more in the 3 lifts to do it again would be unlike ly wouldn't it

dedsqtbnch
11-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Man that would be cool a1400 total but this year alone my lifts went up from 300 even so that's over 300 more in the 3 lifts to do it again would be unlike ly wouldn't it

Ok so I'm starting to think not 181 but 198 is more where I should be at I just bulked up to where I'm at but any way I was looking on eltf and there bands are cheap which ones should I go with

Brian Hopper
11-19-2010, 09:17 PM
I think trying to go from 225 to the 181s for a first meet would be a very poor choice for a first meet.

Just do it at whatever weight you are at. If you must drop down, just go to the 220s.

I agree 100%, dropping that much weight for your first meet is not a good idea. If you walk around at 225-228 then just lose whatever you have to so you can make 220's.

dedsqtbnch
11-19-2010, 10:03 PM
i was 198 back in may of this year and was just bulkin and bulkin to try to hit 230 by the end of the year for my own personal goal

i put on a lot of fat

dedsqtbnch
11-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I was looking on efts and there bands are cheap which ones should I go with there is quite a few i almost got some last night with a singlet but was not shure wich ones to go with

SELK
11-19-2010, 11:18 PM
you never want to be dieting into a meet, very hard to make optimal strength gains and recover correctly. If you are set on going in a lower weight class, take a few (3-4) months to lose the weight with the focus on maintaining strength then add weight leading into the meet.

I tell the guys at my gym (lots of new lifters) to never even worry about bodyweight for their first meet, just weight what they weigh and try to hit the biggest total they are capable of on that day. In most cases this is a small PR in every lift.

dedsqtbnch
11-20-2010, 03:31 PM
so here is what i was thinking over night. im down to 220 last two daysand i was thinking diet till jan first where i should be around 200 to 208 than no diet and carb up and creatine till the meet on jan 22nd where i will be competing at 220 but ill be low enuff that i wont go over 220

than 1 week following the meet back on the diet till the end of march where i hope to be at around 188 to 193 and carb up plus creatine again plus a little additive that i dont like to rely on ph to not go over 198 for the meet in may 14th to be as strong as possible and make that 1350 total

i maxed squats today and got 365 for two easy 405 easy but tryed 445 and missed on my 3rd try so i put my knee sleeves on and inzer pants just to finish the workout and got 455 like that

i than went on to deds and worked up to 405 wher my hands began to slip in sumo style so i set down after almost althe way up i than went to convitional and did it full but lockout was short lived due to slipping again
so i dont think it was bad for deads cause i was already tired from squats and my hands felt like groundmeat after puting the sleeves on and off thats a bitch

im at snap fitness only for heavy days and they told me i can not use chalk but herd about liquid chalk how is that

im about to make a order from prowristwraps.com and elitefts.com for
belt
chalk
singlet
bands
new wrist wraps
and liquid chalk if they have them

dedsqtbnch
11-24-2010, 08:04 AM
all right im going into the first meet hopefully at around 205 competing at 220 than the second meet at 198 hopefully i can get down to 193 or so by april so i can jump back on my creatine and other supp for the may14th with out going over 198

curr weight floating around 115

dedsqtbnch
01-20-2011, 07:47 AM
i knew it was only a matter of time befor a injery put me out the gym and when did it happen right befor a meet. doing deads one day i decided to pull my neww 10mm belt up a little higher to see what support it would give me. bad idea as im pulling the weight up about only a quarter of the way i feel a pop snap or what ever and i think i heard it to . down goes the weights and in pain i go not knowing what happend that was the wed befor x mas. well the weekend goes by me hoping everything will pass. monday after work im in so much pain i can hardly bar it :drooling:so i go to the doc and what does he tell me its fractured :omg:yea dont make fun of me its crazy lol
any way im just starting to lift again and squats are ok deadlifts are ok only feel it a little but for bench man it hurts. im out of the meet i was doing in feb 19th but still doing the one on may13th no matter how strong i am. moral of the story train smart if you wanna try something new think twice or even three times befor doing it if the way you are already doing it works well

dedsqtbnch
01-20-2011, 07:48 AM
good thing i decided not to diet

dedsqtbnch
01-20-2011, 07:57 AM
i was in so much pain my blood pressure was 160 over 96 regular is like 146 over 84

but to date my best lifts are

bench still 405 right now its prob 350 or so it feels
dead 435 prob around 405 is how it feels
squat 535 2 times on box just about parralel or maybe a tad higher with knee sleeves and inzer pants but after getting hurt i went heavy the beginning of the week and did 495 same way 2 times bairly raw is around 430 i hope at least

joey54
01-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the updates. Good luck.

ScottYard
01-20-2011, 05:01 PM

Agree 100%

Just show up and lift. Get a few meets under your belt then worry about weight class.

****..... I have done 30 meets now and still get **** wrong lol

theBarzeen
01-20-2011, 05:30 PM
Agree 100%

Just show up and lift. Get a few meets under your belt then worry about weight class.

****..... I have done 30 meets now and still get **** wrong lol

Exactly this.....

you aren't making the cover of PLUSA on your first meet...... just show up and have fun. You'll meet people, gain experience, and learn a lot. THen the next meet you'll do better.......

My first meet was raw, and I lifted at 242. Having no idea what I was doing, and generally just being a strong gym rat looking to try something new, I totaled 1315.

Every meet I've put a few pounds on my total to where now, 5 years later ( almost) my opening attempts should take my sub total to around 1500#...