PDA

View Full Version : Straps on centurion

kingns
11-19-2010, 08:21 PM
I have a centurion I bought used and have used for one meet. The straps are loose and I'd like to tighten them for an upcoming meet. Ive seen lots of centurions with the straps sewn at the top and was wondering how to go about getting that done. With my velocity I just twist the straps a few times on a third attempt or something, but the centurion could take a lot more than that. Any help would be appreciated, thanks. BTW I plan to get a new one after this meet so I've already thought of that.

Brian Hopper
11-19-2010, 09:12 PM
You can take it to someone who does alterations. Since your not going to cut it, you could probably take it to a shoe repair shop. We have one here in town and they have done some pinch jobs like that and they did a good job. Just tell them to use there heaviest thread.

theBarzeen
11-20-2010, 09:36 AM
Most shoe repair or alteration places can do it for you...... the thread that most manufacturers use is a nylon bonded #69 or #81 thread. Usually #69.
It's too heavy to run through a regular sewing machine but any industrial machine can run it. Ask around and most shops could do it for you. If you can't find a place just get a spool of the thread from any online thread shop ( around $4 for enough to make a dozen suits) and bring it with you to any tailor shop. They'll have a machine heavy enough to run it.

BloodandThunder
11-20-2010, 12:06 PM
yea most sewing/alteration places will do it for cheap. Make sure you EXPLICTLY say what you need done. I told them to bunnyear the straps with their highest density thread. I got the suit back and they cut the straps and reattached them, ruining the seam lol. Got a free suit out of it though.

If it's a newer centurion (NXG+), I'd recommend telling them to do a few rows of stitching. Alot of times with new polys the alteration will blow since the new polys are quite thick.