PDA

View Full Version : Powerlifting from over the pond...

PLjaysmith
11-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Yo

whats up fella's!?

Breif introduction about me: I am currently 19 years old and live in the UK, i lift with the GBPF who are IPF affiliated and currently am lifting in the 220's however soon to be changed from january 1st 2011 to the 230's with the new rulings!

i lift unequipped and am yet to do my first geared meet, which at some point i WILL do! i have trained in the gear on occasion and have tried quite a few powerlifting based training regimes, my favourites of course being the good old westside and 5/3/1 methods!

i absolutely despice the fact i have to pause on my chest when bench pressing and i have been struggling with deadlift for quite some time, im open to all suggestions and training modifications and am basically here to learn from people stronger than me as i train with 3 other guys in a small gym in my hometown, we have pretty much everything available to us except for chains to make it work on the most part!

My next meet is actually a week today, so i am currently resting/de loading and for now that is all i have to say...

here is my youtube channel too... http://www.youtube.com/user/PLjaysmith?feature=mhum

i am also on facebook, feel free to add me... http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.php?id=666185546

ThomasG
11-20-2010, 06:55 PM
Good luck! I will be riding along for the show.

NickAus
11-21-2010, 05:22 AM
You have some great raw numbers!!

Will pop in here and check out your progress...

johnnyo_99
11-21-2010, 07:42 AM
good luck, whats your training program look like currently?

PLjaysmith
11-21-2010, 08:21 AM
Good luck! I will be riding along for the show.

thanks man, good to have you along!

You have some great raw numbers!!

Will pop in here and check out your progress...

thanks, my deadlift and bench arent upto scratch but im pleased to a degree with my squats!

good luck, whats your training program look like currently?

thankyou!

and for this meet i have followed a 5/3/1 for squats and deads and M/E , D/E for bench

funnily enough, i sat and planned out my next 10 weeks after this meet(28th NOV) this morning and wll be going M/E , D/E For all 3!

PLjaysmith
11-21-2010, 08:37 AM
Got in today for some light upper body work and to flush some fresh blood around!

BW- 16 Stone 5/ 229 LBS

warm up/foam roll
karnes shoulder warm up.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU6klKJffT4

Bench
bar x 5 x 2
135 x 5
155 x 5
175 x 3
200 x 1
225 x 1

just going through commands and pauses and form checks

Db extensions
2 sets of 20

Side raise
2 sets of 15

Band Face pull
2 sets of 20

T bar row
2 sets of 10

Pulldowns
2 sets of 15

CG pushups on hex db's
2 sets of 10

nothing strenous or nasty, trying to keep my CNS alive!

I was absolutely captivated by somebody who come in today who i know of who was going through gruelling set after set of OLY style squats, ass to grass grinding out rep after rep... granted he only had about 155lbs on the bar but looking at him id say thats all he weighed himself, minimal rest and just kept going rep after rep, you could see the determination in his face... the little things like that, that motivate me!

and stood besides him ruining the 'moment' was a skinny kid doing tricep kickbacks...(facepalm)

to leave on a more positive note i am absolutely in love with new chucks!

PLjaysmith
11-22-2010, 05:12 PM
i probably should have mentioned my name is actually jay aswell in my first post, just realised...

o well... 5 days out now... getting excited

PLjaysmith
11-27-2010, 03:53 AM
Meets tommorow! my last one in the under 20's! shooting into the under 23's! going to get my arse handed to me for the next 3 years haha! and then again when i jump into seniors, now is where the real work starts! will update meet results tommorow, training already planned out for after that! hopinf to end the year on a high...

NickAus
11-27-2010, 04:13 AM
Good luck!!

Athos
11-27-2010, 06:43 AM
Checked out the videos, strong work. I'll be checking in to see how things are progressing. Good luck in the meet!

PLjaysmith
11-28-2010, 08:38 AM
Good luck!!

thanks man

Checked out the videos, strong work. I'll be checking in to see how things are progressing. Good luck in the meet!

thanks for the kind words! and will be good to have you along!

PLjaysmith
11-28-2010, 08:51 AM
So today was our rgeional geared/raw championship, i weighed in at 102kg/224lbs, i probbaly could have made the 220's afterall but i just wanted to turn up and lift, my last meet at under 23 and 220+

warm ups
squat
135 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 1
365 x 1
385 x 1... new i was in trouble after i took this out
went and changed my openor to 425

first lift... 425 good
second... 450... no good, bar was whippy and rolled up my back, stalled about half way
thrid... same again

the depth judging was very strict, there were some deep squats failed and i mean deep, think it got in my head a bit although i have never failed a squat for depth! just wasnt there today, peaked in the gym! facepalm

Bench
135 x 5
185 x 1... tricep cramped up here, VERY STRANGE!
225 x 1
245 x 1

openor
255 x 1
270 x 1
280 x miss... transition from mid point to triceps

some good benches were put up, a british record on openor was taken and the spotters were asleep and the roll cage wasnt set up... inevitably bar went back towards lads face and knocked 4 teeth backwards, very nasty

Deadlift
135 x 5
225 x 3
315 x 1
355 x 1
405 x 1
440 x 1

openor
465 x 1
480x 1
500 x 1... been waiting 11 months for this pb

overall im pleased with two meet pb's and a deadlift pb... messed up my squats but im done for the year, my goal now is to be less fat and more conditioned! going to enjoy a bit of time off too, elbows,left tricep and forearms are incredibly beat up... going to add some gear to my training too, thats all for now!

ThomasG
11-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Congrat on your Personal Bests!

PLjaysmith
11-30-2010, 11:44 AM
Congrat on your Personal Bests!

thanks buddy! left alot out there though, not my best meet haha

PLjaysmith
11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
this is something new im adding to my lifting, never really combined my full time ambitions as a powerlifter with sport specific conditioning so interested to see what happens!

my goals as i said now are to get less fat and better conditioned and not to mention the many benefits from being well conditoned and in a lighter weight class!

so it broke down like this...

Last 15 yards of each sprint is uphill at what starts at about 30 degree angle and rises gradually to finish at id say about 40

8 x 30 yard sprints

3 x 35 yard sprints

1 x 40 yard sprint

i suppose you could say this is my high intensity session of the week, will up it each week as i go!

i was going to go to gym and on the x trainer but i thought to myself thats boring as HELL and high intensity is supposedly alot better for holding onto muscle, which is what i want to do! will post in peoples logs soon, im just trying to get back into the flow of everything now, meets mess you around so much!

Athos
11-30-2010, 12:03 PM
May not have been the perfect meet for you, but you pulled a huge 500 and likely took a lot away from that meet. I've never had a meet that I didn't learn a lot about my lifts and myself. Props for getting out there and competing strong! Nothing wrong with a little conditioning, get the GPP going. Well done sir!

PLjaysmith
11-30-2010, 02:30 PM
May not have been the perfect meet for you, but you pulled a huge 500 and likely took a lot away from that meet. I've never had a meet that I didn't learn a lot about my lifts and myself. Props for getting out there and competing strong! Nothing wrong with a little conditioning, get the GPP going. Well done sir!

thanks man, thats exactly the way i look at it myself, id rather learn thee things and have these experiences now while im young so i can put up a monster total when im older!

and yeah the GPP is somthing new, hoping i can re ignite my deadlift after the 500, would be helpful if i can et past my power belly to get to the bar and im hoping to start trying to deadlift in my centurion so i have lots of plans! need a bigger total! especially deadlift!

NickAus
11-30-2010, 03:12 PM
Great to hear you got the PR you wanted!!

PLjaysmith
12-02-2010, 05:13 AM
for anybody reading i would like some input, im going to focus alot on good mornings over the next 10 weeks and see how they help my lifts(Sq/Dl primarily)...

i have a tendancy to fall forward int he squat which i know can be fixed with verbal cueing +technique improvements but since i started training never been a big fan of them. Hence why i dont know alot about them but i know alot of lifters especially the old westside focused alot on them as a means to working the posterior chain... i need one for my M/e movements and im thinking suspended/concentric good mornings but from the pins in the rack and just strict GM's for assistance work when my M/e movement isnt a good morning

also, i want to start training in some gear which i already have and have used a few times... i was thinking of putting the suit on for D/E squats straps down almost as a pair of briefs and just working them in on M/E movements wherever possible... and same concept for the shirt, just obviously not speed work

PLjaysmith
12-02-2010, 01:31 PM
bar x 15
135 x 5
135 x 5
135 x 5
2 board
225 x 5
245 x 3
255 x 3
265 x 3
275 x 3
285 x 3
300 x 1

Feet Elevated Incline Dumbells
50 x 15
60 x 15
60 x 15
60 x 10

Front raise
2 x 12

side raise
2 x 12

Barbell Row
95 x 10
135 x 15
135 x 12
135 x 10
135 x 10

Low Pulley row
3 x 12

Hammer curls superset with pushdowns
3 x 15

Good first session back, wasnt going to go mad on the ME movement, but got some reps in, im quite pleased, going to be building my shoulders up for a wider bench/shorter stroke and always like the low pulley row, pumps me up like nobodies business! did my low intensity cardio after too, i think im going to 5/3/1 my barbell row as its again, another lift ive never really hammered and my upper back shows it LOL!

PLjaysmith
12-03-2010, 10:50 AM
Box squat(parralel or literally just below)

8 sets of 2... final sets were suited up, last two were 315 x 2

vid to follow:
http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/ae108/jayysmith/?action=view&current=VID00043-20101203-1225.mp4

particulary awful on this one:http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/ae108/jayysmith/?action=view&current=VID00044-20101203-1229.mp4

looking at them on a bigger screen i may higher the box and drop it week by week as my form gets better, because that second set was digusting haha

Sumo deadlift(straps down)
135 x 2
135 x 2
225 x 2
225 x 2

conventional deadlift(straps down)
315 x 2
315 x 2
405 x 1
405 x 1

vids to follow:
http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/ae108/jayysmith/?action=view&current=VID00047-20101203-1240.mp4

http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/ae108/jayysmith/?action=view&current=VID00048-20101203-1248.mp4

http://s962.photobucket.com/albums/ae108/jayysmith/?action=view&current=VID00048-20101203-1248.mp4

i went with a different approach today, i wanted to work the gear in, as you would guess first session back and i didnt feel great! nice and tight everywhere and it was freezing in the gym, my suit slippers arrived today though which i must say when alone are extremely handy for getting in and out of the gear!

on the squat vids my form isnt great, you can see im forcing my way down to the box and losing my arch, i filmed every set today though... something i have never done before because i was solo and wanted to see what was going on, makes it interesting and i can see where im going wrong, i know what ive got to work on next week now too! could make this an interesting log, but im sure things will get easier once i have worn the suit in aswel, deadlifting conventional in it made my head feel like it was going to pop, will get some band good mornings in at home tonight after work as i had to shoot off for some extra lower back work

GOTTA START FIGHTING THAT SUIT!

Athos
12-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Nice looking sessions Jay! You have a plan and you are in tune with what you need to do, which is going to translate into big lifts.

As far as good mornings, all I can say is I built my squat and deadlift off of those, every variety. From pins, suspended in chains, arched back, rounded back, with and without a belt, standing, seated, etc. Back when I trained Westside, I would do a good morning variation every other ME day, they are invaluable in my opinion. I don't train Westside now, but I still do them every week. I particularly love them suspended from chains, starting with the concentric part of the lift and the chain lets you get into a better starting position. So definitely in my opinion, you have made a good choice to focus on them.

Good lifting!