PDA

View Full Version : Board Press vs Pin Press

jwood1988
11-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Which do you guys think is better board press or pressing off of pins?

And is there much of a difference if when pressing off of pins you take it out of the rack like a regular bench come down and pause slightly on the pins and then press??

I think the biggest thing about pin press is that when you press starting at the bottom position you take a different bar path than your normal bench groove, but if you treat it like a regular bench and then just slightly pause on the pins, is it very different than board press??

What are your thoughts and experiences with each??

kingns
11-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Board presses are way better. I can pin press a rediculous amount of weight, over my shirted or raw max, plus it aggravates my pecks like no other exercise. Board presses are great though.

dedsqtbnch
11-22-2010, 10:16 AM
when would pin presses be better on me days or de days and why

AdamBAG
11-22-2010, 10:24 AM
They are totally different exercises in my opinion. Board presses are a more natural movement because when you bench to or down to pins you usually don't end up hitting both pins at the same time. Also, when you bench to boards the weight is transferred through the boards into your body, just like benching to your chest. This doesn't happen with boards. I like pin presses as assistance/lockout work for sets of 5 or more reps. Otherwise I feel like they are too tough on your shoulders and pecs.

JSully
11-22-2010, 10:34 AM
pin presses hurt my shoulders, so I vote for boardwork

jwood1988
11-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the responses guys, one more question.

If the two board height is right at my sticking point, is that where I should start on board press??

I thought this would be the best way to attack my weak spot.

Travis Bell
11-22-2010, 11:33 AM
drop down to a 1brd and start from there.

dedsqtbnch
11-22-2010, 11:53 AM
how do these compair to floor pesses when training

BloodandThunder
11-22-2010, 12:44 PM
I like low board presses and floor presses for ME work (1-3RM) and rack lockouts/high board presses for accessory (3 to 5 reps). all three bench variants have their time and place in training. In the offseason, I barely ever take a competitive style raw bench max, but I know if my floor press max goes up, my raw bench is doing fine. I also know if my 2 board goes up, my shirted bench will go up.

ScottYard
11-22-2010, 04:11 PM
The Board press is safer on the tendons and is more sport specific to a full bench. Pin presses never did much for me but aggrevate something.

mastermonster
11-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I like boards much more than pins. But, I've gotten away from boards also in my shirted work the past few months. I tend to agree with big Vinnie D on boards interferring with the right bar path. Even if I don't touch all my reps in training, I'm trying to. I used to do 75 - 85 % of my shirted reps to boards. I was extremely strong off boards. Like 830 @ 2 boards and 725 @ 1 board. But I'd still dump 650 and up trying to touch the chest. When I dropped the boards for a couple of months I could touch 635 - 675 pretty consistantly. After I recover from the surgery I plan on coming back with the same philosophy.

Rob Luyando
11-22-2010, 04:47 PM
pin presses are to hard on your joints.

ThomasG
11-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow I had no idea pin presses ****ed up so many people. I've had 0 problems with them. I train alone so I have no experience with boards yet....

NickAus
11-22-2010, 06:03 PM
Boards!

High pin presses are pretty good too but I hate low pin presses personally.

vdizenzo
11-22-2010, 06:38 PM
Pin presses are brutal. However, I have found a way to incorporate them a bit. I don't do them nearly as heavy as I used to. When I do them, I do them for higher reps. I also roll towels over the pins. I find it's less jarring on the joints.

danki
11-22-2010, 08:01 PM
They are totally different exercises in my opinion. Board presses are a more natural movement because when you bench to or down to pins you usually don't end up hitting both pins at the same time. Also, when you bench to boards the weight is transferred through the boards into your body, just like benching to your chest. This doesn't happen with boards. I like pin presses as assistance/lockout work for sets of 5 or more reps. Otherwise I feel like they are too tough on your shoulders and pecs.

When you bench, are you supposed to DELOAD part of the load onto your chest? If so, is it similar to box squats where you allow about 30-50% of the load to transfer but keep everything flexed tight?

Travis Bell
11-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Pin presses are brutal. However, I have found a way to incorporate them a bit. I don't do them nearly as heavy as I used to. When I do them, I do them for higher reps. I also roll towels over the pins. I find it's less jarring on the joints.

Agreed. When I try and do them to a single, things get too heavy and my shoulders will get beat up. But if I keep things in the 10-12 rep range I can still get a lot out of them without beating myself up too much

Boards when used correctly are also a huge benefit. Like Vin said, you have to mimick your same groove as if you were going to touch your chest. 9 times out of 10, guys touch too high on the board

Adam hit the nail on the head, they are both different exercises and have different values. I think with pin presses though, the heavier a person is able to go with them, the more abuse they are going to experience.

Brian Hopper
11-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I prefer benching out of chains over pin presses. Last time I did pin presses I thought I was going to tear my pec. I would bench out of chains for reps of 5 or more. But board presses would be my favorite choice.

AdamBAG
11-23-2010, 08:15 AM
When you bench, are you supposed to DELOAD part of the load onto your chest? If so, is it similar to box squats where you allow about 30-50% of the load to transfer but keep everything flexed tight?

I don't know about % etc. I'm not really a fan of over thinking these things. But from experience I know that when I bench to my chest or a board at some point the load transfers into your body when the bar touches your chest or the board. I would seriously doubt it's 50%, but some does transfer. When you bench to/from pins that never happens.

As far as staying tight I would say yes. If you pause on your chest everything should stay super tight. I would not really compare it to a box squat as different people have different ideas on whether you should relax on the box etc.

jwood1988
11-23-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. My next 5/3/1 cycle I am going to use a one board press and see how that feels. I think the consensus here is basically most people prefer board press and it puts less stress on the joints so that is what I will do.

Thanks again,

danki
11-23-2010, 06:03 PM
I don't know about % etc. I'm not really a fan of over thinking these things. But from experience I know that when I bench to my chest or a board at some point the load transfers into your body when the bar touches your chest or the board. I would seriously doubt it's 50%, but some does transfer. When you bench to/from pins that never happens.

As far as staying tight I would say yes. If you pause on your chest everything should stay super tight. I would not really compare it to a box squat as different people have different ideas on whether you should relax on the box etc.

Thanks for that reply. I think maybe all of this time ive been benching incorrectly. I usually bring the bar right to where it touches my lower chest/sternum, but DONT allow any of the weight to transfer. Or maybe im just not thinking right at the moment.

But I do know for sure when I board press or floor press there is a weight transfer.