PDA

View Full Version : elbow pain

dedsqtbnch
11-23-2010, 11:38 AM
so ive been gettin elbow pain every time i do some kind od extention even if its not alote of weight

this started after maxing out chest a week and a half ago and so i made my last two chest workouts light days with speed

i iced it a few times and im keeping it wraped with a cheap elbow thing but saving the super heavy sleeves for the next time i do heavy which was supposto be sat

what should i do

dedsqtbnch
11-23-2010, 11:39 AM
its only in the left elbow

banger
11-23-2010, 12:21 PM
Which part of your elbow?

Tom Mutaffis
11-23-2010, 12:43 PM
so ive been gettin elbow pain every time i do some kind od extention even if its not alote of weight

this started after maxing out chest a week and a half ago and so i made my last two chest workouts light days with speed

i iced it a few times and im keeping it wraped with a cheap elbow thing but saving the super heavy sleeves for the next time i do heavy which was supposto be sat

what should i do

It could be a number of different things, if you have medical coverage you may want to see an Orthopedic Doctor.

One of the most common weightlifting-related conditions in tendinitis. This can usually be treated by reducing your activity level (take a couple of weeks off from the movements that irritate your elbow), and you can add a neoprene sleeve for warmth/compression.

dedsqtbnch
11-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Which part of your elbow?

feels like just the tip not that tip lol but the ball of my elbow

theBarzeen
11-23-2010, 11:13 PM
I get that a little on the inside of my left elbow as well....... for me it's taken lots of ice, glutamine, and training with a narrower grip than normal to take some pressure off of it. It took a few weeks to go away so I was able to get back to it.

frankf79
11-24-2010, 02:11 PM
I had problems with my elbows, painful inside and outside tendons. I used the twisting dumbbell triceps extensions as a rehab exercise ( day after push day or later in the day) for sets of 12 - 20 reps and it really helped. Start real light and get the movement down. Here is a link to see the exercised demo'ed, they call them Pro-Sup extensions.
http://www.inno-sport.net/Strength-Endurance/Video/PIM%20ProSup%20Extensions.AVI

JSully
11-24-2010, 04:59 PM
and you can add a neoprene sleeve for warmth/compression.

this is what I do whenever mine flares up.. I wear the sleeve for a few weeks during anything that invovles using my arm and it goes away pretty quickly.

TrainHardOrDie
12-10-2010, 02:11 PM
As someone who's been plagued with elbow tendonitis for years, I can honestly say I've tried it all: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation, ben gay corison shots, tiger balm, neoprene sleves, training high rep,Wobenzyme and lots of other stuff.

It really sucked having to modify so much stuff (and avoiding some exercises altogether) on tricep day.

I have to thank Ron Harris for making me aware of the answer in one of his newsletters. Thanks to an issue of the Daily Pump he sent out, my elbows are pain free for the first time in about five years.

I can now do every exercise I want.

You don't need to spend a cent to get rid of tendonitis - just some time.

Here's the article Ron Harris turned me onto that eliminated my inflammation: http://blog.questproteinbar.com/the-secret-to-eliminating-tendinitis/

I followed the protocol exactly as outlined and it totally worked.

Could have saved myself a lot of time and money had I known about this five years ago.

Travis Bell
12-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Lot of good advice in here.

Ice it a lot, use closer grip and spend time rehabbing it. When you injure a tendon/ligiment like that, you have to use it for it to recover. It gets extremely limited blood flow on it's own.

What you have to do though is use ultra light weights and go very high reps. For instance using ankle weights for sets of 50-100 reps on extensions or a mini band looped over the power rack for sets of 40-80 reps on pushdowns. Then ice after each workout to get the inflamation back down. it will take time

ajweins
12-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Judging by the location of your pain and what typically aggravates it, I would bet your have elbow bursitis (no guarantees, this is internet diagnosis after all). Other elbow problems like medial and lateral epicondylitis tend to have more pain with gripping types of activities, If you want to rule those out, try youtubing Cozen's test (for lateral epicondylitis), or Golfers elbow test (for medial epicondylitis). There is not really a test for triceps tendinitis, but if the pain is right on the tip of the olecranon (posterior tip of the elbow), it may be the bursa that sits right on the bone. Other wise, you can try digging into your triceps muscle/tendon with your knuckles to see if that helps.

The advice given already is the best you can get, though. Just lots of ice and plenty of warmup time to get blood in the area.