PDA

View Full Version : Lifting weights when you feel sort of Hungry before you start, is it okay?

Cassius55
11-25-2010, 06:06 PM
Like the title says, this is what Im wondering. Is it okay to lift weights when your in a state of being sort of hungry? I ate Canned Chile and 2 pieces of whole wheat bread along with Salami sandwich with 2 pieces of Whole wheat bread 1 hot dog and some beans. Im feeling a bit hungry now but its not desperate hunger. Im also not overweight even though what I just listed of what I ate today sounds like I could be fat.

StLRPh
11-25-2010, 07:01 PM
I lift on an empty stomach at least once a week and its never been a big deal. I actually prefer to have very little in my stomach for deadlifts.

tom183
11-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Everybody is different. I personally hate training while hungry and prefer to train with a medium full stomach while others prefer to train empty. Try it and see what feels best for you.

Gugunir
11-26-2010, 06:59 AM
I train on a empty stomach most of the time. If I have anything it will be a serving or half serving of whey protein with coffee in the morning. I have never had any problems with energy or getting fatigued in training.

dynamo
11-26-2010, 08:35 AM
I did some front squats on a cup of yogurt yesterday morning. then I did some cardio. The way I see it, do what you gotta do, eat later if you have to.

danki
11-26-2010, 12:46 PM
I normally train in the evening so im almost never hungy when I train. But yesterday I trained in the AM, and had a protein shake and some coconut milk only. It was one of my best workouts ever.

I think as long as your glycogen stores aren't depleted and you aren't going to be hypoglycemic, you'll be fine.

colinS3
11-27-2010, 02:28 PM
As long as you're not super dehydrated or depleted of food then you should be fine during your workout. I've worked out in all sorts of states and the only times I've ever had any problems were when I was sick or severely depleted of energy. Being kind of hungry shouldn't do anything to hurt your lifting ability, but try it out for yourself just to be sure! That's the best way to know.

Krazor
11-27-2010, 06:40 PM
I read that after you eat your body sends a lot more blood to your intestines to process the food which can leave less for your muscles, so that make you feel weak or easily fatigued, normally I only have a protein shake and a small snack before working out.

PhxdB
11-28-2010, 02:51 PM
I don't like being hungry if I'm lifting. If I've got something in my stomache I feel more energetic and my mind is on my lifts, not my stomache.

Of course you don't wanna be stuffed. Then you're lazy and lethargic. I just don't wannna be starving.

mchicia1
11-29-2010, 12:51 PM
I think its more mental than anything since it takes hours for food to digest anyway. I for one have to be full at time of training. I hate distractions and being hungry is a distraction.

salvo91
12-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Training on an empty stomach..does not make sense to me...would you drive a car with no gas?

amz916
12-06-2010, 06:37 PM
When I lift hungry, I run out of energy. VERY QUICK. But thats just me

Off Road
12-06-2010, 08:12 PM
I don't like lifting on an empty stomache. If I don't have time to fix a meal and let it settle, I'll just down a Nitrean shake, let it settle for a short while, and I'm good to go.

f=ma
12-07-2010, 02:24 AM
it depends entirely on how you are accustomed to training