PDA

View Full Version : Westside Barbell Routine Help

TsaintW
11-26-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm 20yrs 5'10 old 215lbs and have been powerlifting/lifting on and off for around 5years. I've been running religiously for 6months and been on a protein mostly diet and been stuck at 215 so its finally around the winter and its time to try and bulk the right way, so more protein and elipticals and less treadmill. The reason I'm at a crossroad is because my bench dropped from 340x3 to 315x3 because I've just been doing too much low rep stuff but my db shoulder and chest workouts have increased 15-20lbs(from 70s-80/90s). Deadlifts 500 give or take and a 400lb squat.

So I'm going to go back to the bread and butter westside workout with max effort days and then speed days, however I was hoping you guys could help me put it together. The problem for me is my lousy school gym doesn't have the reverse hyper extensions like at my normal gym/blocks/chains/bands, so I'm not sure if this will really effect it, but i might buy some chains from home depot.

So basically i understand the westside workout routine with like a sunday monday max effort, thur fri speed day but am a little confused on what exercises i should rotate and use, along with what to cycle etc. Hopefully you guys can help because I'm confused with all the research i've been doing.

kingns
11-26-2010, 03:10 PM
I like to change max effort exercises weekly. Speed work is always bench, squat and dead, but you can change weight or band/chain tension, or if you have different bars. I like to change the secondary exercises every 3 or 4 weeks and try to get better during those weeks then switch. If its something I haven't done for a long time I'll stick with it for 6-8 weeks or even longer. Once you stop making progress change the exercise. I have never used a reverse hyper so I don't think that matters. And you dont need boards or the other tools, but they are useful to have.

TsaintW
11-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Thank you for some clarification. Another question I have for you guys is, if i'm basically eating just protein and no carbs really how can i lose weight. Is 40minutes on an oliptical more beneficial then 15minutes of sprinting on the treadmill.

Also, if its max effort sunday/monday then repping thursday/friday, and I'm doing secondary excercises on those days, what types of workouts should be done on tuesday wednesday or saturday, anything or just recovery days?

thanks,

tsaintw

zakprell
11-27-2010, 09:11 PM
To my understanding YOu should spread your Max and Speed Days. When I was following a WSB routine my week would be:
Sunday Max Squat/DL
Monday Dynamic Press
Wednesday Dynamic Squat
Friday Max Press

The rest of the days were recovery. I would do conditioning after lifting. As far as elliptical vs Sprinting it all depends on the intensity in which you do both.

I don't know much about diet/nutrition but I'm pretty sure you should not entirely cut out carbs from your diet. I try to cut them after lunch but never all together.

Another thing you may want to question is your diet and trying to lose weight, IMO WSB is a Power Lifting not a cutting, toning type of routine. I maybe wrong tho. I suppose it all depends on your assistance work.