PDA

View Full Version : Another SQ/DL question

muscle_g
11-27-2010, 07:00 AM
Does anyone alternate squats with dead's from week to week? Could it work out pretty good?

ScottYard
11-27-2010, 07:33 AM
You can. Just be sure to rotate your volume and have planned deload days. If not yo will hit a wall fast.

muscle_g
11-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I think I'm gonna start doing this. Doing squats one week and deadlifts the next week. Because I've noticed that when I go heavy on one of them I don't have alot left for the other lift later in the week. I believe my lower back will thank me.

jtteg_x
11-29-2010, 06:24 PM
theres a good article that talks about pulling every other week. I believe it was in the EFS data base.
After my P/P meet, I'm thinking doing the same method you are. I truly want to get back into squatting again.

NickAus
11-29-2010, 07:21 PM
You could do wk1-heavy squat, speed deads wk2-heavy deads, speed squats repeat.

Brian Hopper
11-29-2010, 08:30 PM
You could do wk1-heavy squat, speed deads wk2-heavy deads, speed squats repeat.

I was going to do something very similar to this. Each heavy week was going to be a different exercise and I was going to keep my speed work the usual.

MarcusWild
11-30-2010, 12:12 PM
Isn't that just conjugate training? You're rotating your ME lift between squats and deadlifts. Tons of people do this. I'd pick 3-4 squat variants and 3-4 deadlift variants and rotate them. Also, don't be afraid to do a 2nd barbell movement for sets of 5. Pick a squat, deadlift, or GM variant that works a weakness and shoot for 3 working sets of 5 reps.

As Scott said, you need to deload periodically.

tnathletics2b
11-30-2010, 01:36 PM
Isn't that just conjugate training? You're rotating your ME lift between squats and deadlifts. Tons of people do this. I'd pick 3-4 squat variants and 3-4 deadlift variants and rotate them. Also, don't be afraid to do a 2nd barbell movement for sets of 5. Pick a squat, deadlift, or GM variant that works a weakness and shoot for 3 working sets of 5 reps.

That's neat, I had no idea I was doing conjugate training. I do:

week 1- heavy deads
week 2- heavy squats
week 3- rack pulls
week 4- front squats

Seems to be working really well for me. Plus, I really look forward to going heavy because I haven't done it in two weeks instead of dreading it because I was going heavy every week.

Brian Hopper
11-30-2010, 05:21 PM

Is there still a speed day during the week?

MarcusWild
11-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Is there still a speed day during the week?

Yeah, you still have the speed day. You do your 8-12 sets of 2 for squats. Then do 6-15 sets of 1 on deads. I prefer doing one week of speed deads, then the next week a deadlift variant for reps. I recover good from deadlifting though. Most people are better off sticking with speed deads every week.

I think the difference is if you squat heavy one day and deadlift heavy another day in the same week, then you're really beat up by the end of the week. If you do all your heavy lifting one day, then have a speed day you're not as beat up. I think the issue is a lot of people go heavy on speed work and turn it into a sub-max day. That'll run you into the ground fast.

Notice Jim Wendler is smart with 5/3/1. From what I've seen, you deload after the 1 week. If you didn't have that, then I think you'd run yourself into the ground the 2nd wave. That's where linear periodization gets in trouble. You're continually increasing the weight used on all 3 lifts at the same time. Eventually you burn out, because you're not recovering fast enough.

Personally, I'd rather just do my heavy squats and deads on the same day and alternate which one is heavy. That gives me a DE day to focus on speed, technique, and volume.

Brian Hopper
11-30-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks Marcus, i'm just trying to come up with something that I can stick to. I feel like i'm putting so much into my routine. Right now I have a seperate day for deadlifting and squatting. But I was going to alternate my heavy and speed days by the week, it would look something like this.

WK1-Heavy
WK2-Speed
WK3-Heavy
WK4-Speed

But what's been mentioned here is something I might try instead. Maybe even what you prefer with doing squats and deads the same day and just alternating which one is going to be heavy. Then at the end of the week, i'll do my speed day. It's a good thing im not training for anything right now and I can try different routines, lol!!!!