PDA

View Full Version : Farmer's Walk Question

Paul Sousa
11-27-2010, 01:48 PM
Sorry if this is something that gets asked a lot, but how comparable is picking up dumbbells for a farmer's walk compared to actual farmer's walk implements? The reason I ask is because I am trying my first contest a week from tomorrow and there is a 200lb. farmer's walk as one of the events. I tried picking up 200lb. dumbbells from the floor at the end of my training session today and couldn't even stand with them (broke them a few inches off the floor). Granted this was minutes after finishing my squat sets, but still I was a bit frustrated and concerned that I will fail completely in the contest.

BULK_BOY
11-27-2010, 07:07 PM
I have used DBs in the past for training the "Farmer's Walk" If I were you I would start with a lighter weight and get moving up and down the gym (or parking lot) Work your way up with poundages. How is the event measured in time and distance? Once you know that, you can tailor your DB training accordingly.

Cheers and good luck! ;)

Paul Sousa
11-27-2010, 07:18 PM
I have used DBs in the past for training the "Farmer's Walk" If I were you I would start with a lighter weight and get moving up and down the gym (or parking lot) Work your way up with poundages. How is the event measured in time and distance? Once you know that, you can tailor your DB training accordingly.

Cheers and good luck! ;)

It's a 100 ft. walk with a turn at 50 ft., but the event is in a week so I don't think I can do too much at this point (I found/entered the contest sort of last minute). I wasn't even planning on trying to walk with the 200 lb. dumbbells today, I just wanted an idea of how my grip would hold up. I am concerned that I couldn't pick them up, but I'm wondering if 200 lb. dumbbells from the floor are a lot harder than 200 lb. farmer's walk implements. Grip wise I have been able to do static holds with 125 lb. dumbbells for about 45 seconds. This is the one event I am not feeling all that good about.

The other thing that sucks is my gym doesn't have much walking room as it's a bunch of smallish rooms. I am planning on either buying or making some implements in the near future and training outside of my gym.

BULK_BOY
11-27-2010, 07:49 PM
I have found by training as close to the event style/ method as possible, I was able to perform quite well in it. Static holds with DBs do not really compare to trucking it down the lot with the Farmer implements in a competition. Your body must be used to those movements with those weights/ resistence. That said, do what you can to simulate it. (ie: running around the gym with DBs - If the owner will let you. :) )

johnnyo_99
11-28-2010, 06:33 AM
build your own farmer walk implements. I used galvanized steel (chain link fence posts) and welded some handles and there you go, dirt cheap and get the job done.

Cmanuel
11-28-2010, 11:22 AM
Sorry if this is something that gets asked a lot, but how comparable is picking up dumbbells for a farmer's walk compared to actual farmer's walk implements? The reason I ask is because I am trying my first contest a week from tomorrow and there is a 200lb. farmer's walk as one of the events. I tried picking up 200lb. dumbbells from the floor at the end of my training session today and couldn't even stand with them (broke them a few inches off the floor). Granted this was minutes after finishing my squat sets, but still I was a bit frustrated and concerned that I will fail completely in the contest.

First of all, congrats on entering your first strongman contest. You will get hooked!

To answer your question, DBs and Farmers have some pretty big dissimilarities. But, if all you have are heavy ass DBs then its better than nothing.

The thing with farmers is that they are going to be a lot longer than DBs. So trying to turn with farmers handles is a LOT harder than with DBs. In fact, if you are allowed drops, I would use your one drop when you hit the 50ft market, and immediately spin around and pick them up again and head back where you came from.

Also remember that farmers handles are a lot higher than DBs (i.e., you have to squat down farther to pick up DBs than you would farmers).

I would do like the last poster mentioned and try to make/buy your own. Thats really the only way you're going to be able to get good at this event (And its one you will want to get better at as its in just about every contest i've ever done)

Paul Sousa
11-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks guys, I'll definitely get to building some ASAP. It's the one event at this contest that I am not too confident on, but going forward I'll have no excuses to not be comfortable with it.

Tom Mutaffis
11-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Doing farmers walk with a 200 lbs dumbbell is substantially more difficult than with a 200 lbs farmers walk implement. I would say that a 100 lbs dumbbell is a better simulation of how a 200 lbs farmers handle will feel, but there are also some variables (knurling, diameter of the grip, height of the 'pick', etc.).

Paul Sousa
11-29-2010, 07:24 PM
Doing farmers walk with a 200 lbs dumbbell is substantially more difficult than with a 200 lbs farmers walk implement. I would say that a 100 lbs dumbbell is a better simulation of how a 200 lbs farmers handle will feel, but there are also some variables (knurling, diameter of the grip, height of the 'pick', etc.).

Thanks Tom, that is a huge relief. I've used 125 lb. dumbbells and those were pretty easy on the pick and I could do static holds with them for a decent time. I'm confident I could pick upwards of 175 lb. dumbbells so this is a big confidence boost for me. Now my main worry is the turn as cmanuel pointed out...

hoot
11-29-2010, 08:31 PM
I've used a trap bar before to simulate a farmer's walk. Load it up and walk with it.

Paul Sousa
11-30-2010, 07:31 AM
I've used a trap bar before to simulate a farmer's walk. Load it up and walk with it.

Never even thought of that. My gym has a trap bar, I'll have to give that a try until I have actual farmer's handles.

Tom Mutaffis
11-30-2010, 09:31 AM
Thanks Tom, that is a huge relief. I've used 125 lb. dumbbells and those were pretty easy on the pick and I could do static holds with them for a decent time. I'm confident I could pick upwards of 175 lb. dumbbells so this is a big confidence boost for me. Now my main worry is the turn as cmanuel pointed out...

Just take the turn wide and do not stop moving your feet; you can also start turning the implements as you approach the turn which will help you to keep from getting caught up by trying to make a sharp adjustment.

Paul Sousa
11-30-2010, 09:35 AM
Just take the turn wide and do not stop moving your feet; you can also start turning the implements as you approach the turn which will help you to keep from getting caught up by trying to make a sharp adjustment.

Thanks again Tom, I appreciate the help. Hopefully I can remember this when I'm trying to move quickly with 400 lbs. in my hands. :)

Paul Sousa
12-06-2010, 08:01 AM
Just wanted to say thank again to everyone. The contest was yesterday and I had a blast. I finished the farmer's walk in a not too fast ~18 seconds, but I didn't drop them or trip myself and fall so I am considering it a success for my frist time ever doing it. I appreciate all the advice provided!

BigTallOx
12-06-2010, 09:50 AM
t I'm wondering if 200 lb. dumbbells from the floor are a lot harder than 200 lb. farmer's walk implements.

Picking dumbbells from the floor is harder than picking the same weight farmers. But making the turn with dumbbells will be easier than with farmers implements, but IMHO farmers implements are easier to carry in general.

Tom Mutaffis
12-06-2010, 10:00 AM
Just wanted to say thank again to everyone. The contest was yesterday and I had a blast. I finished the farmer's walk in a not too fast ~18 seconds, but I didn't drop them or trip myself and fall so I am considering it a success for my frist time ever doing it. I appreciate all the advice provided!

I am glad to hear that the contest went well.

200 lbs/hand for 100 feet with a turn in 18 seconds is solid, especially for someone who has never touched a farmers implement.

BigTallOx
12-06-2010, 10:49 AM
Just wanted to say thank again to everyone. The contest was yesterday and I had a blast. I finished the farmer's walk in a not too fast ~18 seconds, but I didn't drop them or trip myself and fall so I am considering it a success for my frist time ever doing it.

Good job.

Hopefully I'll have a similar post in a week ( Im doing a strongman show this saturday and one of the events is 340 pound farmers for 100 feet ).

Paul Sousa
12-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Good job.

Hopefully I'll have a similar post in a week ( Im doing a strongman show this saturday and one of the events is 340 pound farmers for 100 feet ).

Thanks, and good luck on Saturday!

JK1
12-06-2010, 04:32 PM
build your own farmer walk implements. I used galvanized steel (chain link fence posts) and welded some handles and there you go, dirt cheap and get the job done.

I built a set out of pipe reinforced with rebar that seem to be holding up really well. The good thing about the pipe is you dont' have to have a welder.

In my opinion, either way works well for DIY farmers walk handles.