PDA

View Full Version : Sumo halting pulls?

NickAus
11-29-2010, 09:58 PM
Anyone worked on these?

You guys get good results from them they look hard and look like they would really help you get your form tight.

Was thinking of pausing for 3 count just below knees then finishing rep, not going too heavy.

Would they be ok from a 2" deficit?

Thank you!

joey54
11-30-2010, 04:39 AM
What is your current deadlift max and how have you been training the movement recently.

NickAus
11-30-2010, 01:55 PM
Joey.

575@212 is where im at now.

Lots of block pulls and some deficit pulls and also a small amount of speed pulls.

BloodandThunder
11-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Nick, if your bar speed truly slows down mid-range and not 1-2" short of lockout, halting pulls will help bigtime. They teach your lower back to strain. I'm a T-Rex so I have a big ROM with pulling. You know from my videos, I blast anything off the floor but hit a wall right above my knee. Haltings have taught my erectors how to strain at their weakest point - mid-range, whereas rack pulls/block pulls don't seem to do this. I figured this out after seeing a correlation between high-bar GM work and my sumo pull.

You seem to be making progress with the block pulls so I would run their course for a while. Then maybe introduce halting pulls. I actually pull to right above where my bar speed hits the crapper, pause for a few seconds then drop the bar.

NickAus
11-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Nick, if your bar speed truly slows down mid-range and not 1-2" short of lockout, halting pulls will help bigtime. They teach your lower back to strain. I'm a T-Rex so I have a big ROM with pulling. You know from my videos, I blast anything off the floor but hit a wall right above my knee. Haltings have taught my erectors how to strain at their weakest point - mid-range, whereas rack pulls/block pulls don't seem to do this. I figured this out after seeing a correlation between high-bar GM work and my sumo pull.

You seem to be making progress with the block pulls so I would run their course for a while. Then maybe introduce halting pulls. I actually pull to right above where my bar speed hits the crapper, pause for a few seconds then drop the bar.

Thanks!

Yeah lock-out is fine its just from 2" to knee really.

I am doing them once a week now, first time last night and they are pretty tough...........lowerback was fine but hit the hips hard.

Brian Hopper
11-30-2010, 05:52 PM
I've never heard of them, is this something that you came up with?

NickAus
11-30-2010, 06:40 PM
No they do them in Sheiko.

Thought Id try them and Im glad I did, they should work well for me weaknees I think.

Wade Hooper does them a lot in his videos.