PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Getting My 11 Year Old ready For Football...

Texas Ranger
11-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Guys, I'm going to start training my 11 year old son when his season is over in 2 weeks. I'm going to start him out on all bodyweight exercises (3 times a week) like pushups, chinups, bench dips, medicine ball throws, lunges, stepups(18" box), 45 degree hyperextensions, and hill sprints( twice a week on a 40 degree, 20 yard hill). Crunches & planks will be done after each session with jump ropes as a warm up. He's 5'5" 135lbs and plays defensive tackle. Is there anything else I missed that would be beneficial? Thanks in advance for all your help!!

Travis Bell
11-30-2010, 05:05 AM
That's pretty much all you really should be doing, besides lots of stretching.

At his age going heavy is a bad idea, so for now just make sure you are keeping things fun and enjoyable for him. I've found that with a lot of younger kids if they have a really good experience in the gym at a young age, they are more likely to really jump into it with both feet when they hit the 13-14 year old range.

Texas Ranger
11-30-2010, 11:19 PM
That's pretty much all you really should be doing, besides lots of stretching.

At his age going heavy is a bad idea, so for now just make sure you are keeping things fun and enjoyable for him. I've found that with a lot of younger kids if they have a really good experience in the gym at a young age, they are more likely to really jump into it with both feet when they hit the 13-14 year old range.
Travis, thanks for replying! Believe me I will not have him doing any heavy workouts until he's 15 years old. That's why I'm sticking with all bodyweight exercises. He can do 1 pushup in good form, a few bench dips with his feet on the ground, and can't do any pullups. I bought a powerband from elitefts so he can do band-assisted pullups & pushups until he gets stronger. I'm taking a break from my own training to focus on him. I'm structuring our workouts as a friendly father/son competition to keep it fun & interesting. I really want to focus on his legs to increase his speed/explosiveness with stepups, walking lunges & hill sprints.

Travis Bell
12-01-2010, 04:23 AM
Yep, just start slow and work your way into it and he'll really enjoy it

Hazerboy
12-01-2010, 02:39 PM
I bought a powerband from elitefts so he can do band-assisted pullups & pushups until he gets stronger.

Don't forget pull up negatives! IMO these are the fastest/best way to get better at a specific skill because the groove is the most similar.

Travis Bell
12-01-2010, 04:42 PM
Don't forget pull up negatives! IMO these are the fastest/best way to get better at a specific skill because the groove is the most similar.

Pull up negatives are great, but for an 11 year old it's going to be very difficult. Their muscle coordination (for 90% of kids) just isn't going to be able to contract hard enough to make a negative effective.

But otherwise they are very helpful.

Texas Ranger
12-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Pull up negatives are great, but for an 11 year old it's going to be very difficult. Their muscle coordination (for 90% of kids) just isn't going to be able to contract hard enough to make a negative effective.

But otherwise they are very helpful.
What's your view of alternating step-ups & lunges to strengthen the quads & hams and the 45 degree hyper for the posterior chain?

Travis Bell
12-03-2010, 04:57 AM
So long as they are bodyweight exercises, he'll be fine

45 degree hyper is good, if his lower back is strong enough. If not, some band good mornings would be a better alternative

LanceGoyke
12-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Groove technique on tons of movements like squats, RDLs, bench, pull ups, rows, and single leg stuff. Lay down a thick base for him early on and he'll have a lot to build off of when he's ready to load it up.