PDA

View Full Version : 455 Deadlift

mchicia1
11-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Decided to take some vids today.

My top set on 5/3/1 was 425 today. I hit that for 5 reps and since I was pressed for time I decided to just do a couple of singles before I got out of there. 445 and 455 are both weights I have never felt before...425x5 was also a pr by 3 reps. Critique away...

Also, I know, I know, the music is awful. Welcome to my world of lifting in a ballys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BaFkc9wQLw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3RT3be8I5k

Paul Sousa
11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
First, you need to edit out those crotch shots at the start.

Both those lifts were awesome though, you have plenty more in you looking at that bar speed.

mchicia1
11-30-2010, 04:16 PM
First, you need to edit out those crotch shots at the start.

Both those lifts were awesome though, you have plenty more in you looking at that bar speed.

LOL ok ill keep that in mind for next time. Thanks for the response!

bojackson
11-30-2010, 04:31 PM
very easy. then i looked at your height, impressive for 6'5". but you easily have 5plates in you. nice lifting.

Brian Hopper
11-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Those looked pretty easy for never doing them. You probably have at least 20 or more pounds in you. Nice work!!!

joey54
11-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Good progress. How you lift is much more important than where you lift.

One quick note, and I notice this because it was something I had been doing, which was pointed out to me. Cut out the jerking the bar at the start of the movement. Make it smooth pull off the floor. A cue often used, and easy to do when using a deadlift bar, is to pull the slack out of the bar before the pull off the floor.

mchicia1
11-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Good progress. How you lift is much more important than where you lift.

One quick note, and I notice this because it was something I had been doing, which was pointed out to me. Cut out the jerking the bar at the start of the movement. Make it smooth pull off the floor. A cue often used, and easy to do when using a deadlift bar, is to pull the slack out of the bar before the pull off the floor.

I do that to "set" my back actually...it doesn't add any momentum to the lift. You can see that I kind of pause after I do it anyway so it really serves no purpose. Its more a fidgity, OCD thing more than anything. I see what you are saying by taking the slack out of the lift, I will try that for next time.

xtian
11-30-2010, 09:15 PM
You made that look easy! Good job bro!!

mchicia1
11-30-2010, 09:18 PM
very easy. then i looked at your height, impressive for 6'5". but you easily have 5plates in you. nice lifting.

Thanks..do you think being taller makes it harder?

Those looked pretty easy for never doing them. You probably have at least 20 or more pounds in you. Nice work!!!
Thanks a lot. I will do the minimum 1 rep next month on my 5/3/1 set then go for a 475!

You made that look easy! Good job bro!!
Thanks man...sure didn't feel easy LOL. I always tell my wife that her heavy deads look too easy then she gives me that dirty look lol.

bojackson
12-01-2010, 12:05 AM
yes i think its harder for taller people sometimes. harder for them to get there hips in the right position. ive trained a lot of taller players. they tend to naturally use more low back. because of length, it can be more difficult at times to sink the hips far enough to get a productive leg drive. takes some work. good job...!!!

mchicia1
12-01-2010, 09:17 AM
yes i think its harder for taller people sometimes. harder for them to get there hips in the right position. ive trained a lot of taller players. they tend to naturally use more low back. because of length, it can be more difficult at times to sink the hips far enough to get a productive leg drive. takes some work. good job...!!!

I think just about every lift is harder because of my long limbs, especially pressing movements...but I generally don't bitch about it and just keep training hard.

jbob1
12-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Good job, it looked really easy.

Hazerboy
12-02-2010, 10:09 PM
You have more in you. Do two things: 1) take the slack out of the bar like others have suggested. When you pause the video at the bottom of your lift you should really see that bar BEND. 2) get your hands a smidge closer together. If you look at both the bottom and top of the lifts you'll see that there is space between your fingers and your shins (the bottom) and your hips (the top). there should be no space. Closer hands means you don't have to move the bar as far (think of the extreme, where your hands are touching the collars, and ho much farther you'd have to move the bar). You may have a little trouble getting around your knees cause you're taller, in which case I'd suggest playing around with your footing (toes a little more forward or something along those lines).

Otherwise looks good.

mchicia1
12-02-2010, 10:12 PM
You have more in you. Do two things: 1) take the slack out of the bar like others have suggested. When you pause the video at the bottom of your lift you should really see that bar BEND. 2) get your hands a smidge closer together. If you look at both the bottom and top of the lifts you'll see that there is space between your fingers and your shins (the bottom) and your hips (the top). there should be no space. Closer hands means you don't have to move the bar as far (think of the extreme, where your hands are touching the collars, and ho much farther you'd have to move the bar). You may have a little trouble getting around your knees cause you're taller, in which case I'd suggest playing around with your footing (toes a little more forward or something along those lines).

Otherwise looks good.

Thanks for the feedback. I will definitely improve my form with those tips and take another vid at the end of the next cycle.

Kiff
12-03-2010, 08:01 AM
As others have said you have more in you no problem.

You should feel good about that if you compare your workout to dude in the mirror on the 455 vid swinging his curls up :evillaugh:

mchicia1
12-03-2010, 10:24 AM
As others have said you have more in you no problem.

You should feel good about that if you compare your workout to dude in the mirror on the 455 vid swinging his curls up :evillaugh:

That dude was pissing me off too. Kept doing jane fonda stretches like 2 inches away from me WHILE I was deadlifting before those sets.

RichMcGuire
12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
haha love the music. You can let your hair down :P

Seriously though, nice lifts :D