PDA

View Full Version : New IPF rule "bench-shirt"

tarikihongan
12-02-2010, 12:29 AM
IPF prohibited shortening the sleeve of the bench shirt after January 1, 2011.
Is there a lifter who has the influence?

douglasoh5
12-02-2010, 07:43 AM
They just keep trying to run lifters off with there stupid rules. not suprising

AdamBAG
12-02-2010, 08:00 AM
Can you post this rule? I'd really like to read exactly what it says.

It seems like a strange rule as sleeves that are shortened too much are a disadvantage to the lifter. If anything, having sleeves that are too long and cover the elbow are an advantage.

Are you sure about this rule change?

icedutah
12-02-2010, 09:06 AM
How are they going to know how long a sleeve is supposed to be for a given shirt size? What if I shorten my sleeves and then cut off the size tag ;)

AdamBAG
12-02-2010, 09:32 AM
How are they going to know how long a sleeve is supposed to be for a given shirt size? What if I shorten my sleeves and then cut off the size tag ;)

True. :)

The poster may be mistaken. I haven't heard a single thing said about this type of rule change.

AdamBAG
12-02-2010, 10:17 AM
Well, I am truly amazed this is actually a rule change as I can't see how it helps the lifter, but it is a rule change.

Page 12 / T-Shirt/Supportive Shirt
New: place under second paragraph.
The only alterations that may be made to the supportive shirt designed for bench pressing
is a tightening which must be made only on the original seams at the arm area, it should
not be allowed to open the original seams.
A shortening of the sleeves (arm length) at the supportive shirt should not be allowed.
The arm length (sleeves) should not extend under the elbows. The manufactures must
specify the original minimum and the maximum arm length of the supportive shirts.
Any other doctoring or manipulation to any part of the shirt specifically to that of the neckline
or chest area will render the shirt illegal.
Seconder:EC
Vote: 22/0/9
**proposal accepted

Brian Hopper
12-02-2010, 10:49 AM
They just keep trying to run lifters off with there stupid rules. not suprising

I agree, they are coming out with alot of stupid rules.

AdamBAG
12-02-2010, 10:51 AM
I would be interested to know how this will be enforced once a shirt has either stretched out or been washed to shrink it. The sleeve will be shorter or longer without the cutting of the sleeve.

I don't think much thought was put into this...

thewookie
12-02-2010, 11:21 AM

Me thinks i see a pattern there... most of their new rule changes make little to no logical sense... remember the % of butt on the bench rule?

BloodandThunder
12-02-2010, 12:13 PM
The ruling seems to be made to just maintain a definition of the initial size of the shirts and to maintain the integrity of the original seam of the shirt. The IPF and a large percentage of USAPL meets do have an equipment checkin where all equipment is checked, mainly shirts and suits. So this maybe helps make that process alot easier, especially with lots of lifters checking in. They also don't want seams ripping apart at meets, alot of the proposals were about this.

Many times you are at a USAPL/IPF large meet, you weighin 20 minutes into weighins (drawn by lot numbers). Then you have to have equipment checked and have rack heights done. This leaves you with only like an hour to eat and relax before warming up. So anything to help the equipment checkin smoother is a plus. But I don't think anyone has ever shortened their sleeves.

IronDiggy
12-02-2010, 01:01 PM
I never even knew you could shorten the sleeves. Sucks for lifters that have shirts with shortened sleeves thats for sure.

AdamBAG
12-02-2010, 01:08 PM
The ruling seems to be made to just maintain a definition of the initial size of the shirts and to maintain the integrity of the original seam of the shirt. The IPF and a large percentage of USAPL meets do have an equipment checkin where all equipment is checked, mainly shirts and suits. So this maybe helps make that process alot easier, especially with lots of lifters checking in. They also don't want seams ripping apart at meets, alot of the proposals were about this.

Many times you are at a USAPL/IPF large meet, you weighin 20 minutes into weighins (drawn by lot numbers). Then you have to have equipment checked and have rack heights done. This leaves you with only like an hour to eat and relax before warming up. So anything to help the equipment checkin smoother is a plus. But I don't think anyone has ever shortened their sleeves.

I completely understand the part about the sleeve seams as far as keeping it single-ply etc.

The sleeve length makes no sense though. If you get on the platform and the sleeve is over your elbow then you are breaking the rules. Pretty easy to see. I would think that having to measure the length of sleeves would slow down equipment check etc.

In fact, there is no advantage to the sleeves being too short. If the sleeves are too short it really hurts your lockout. I guess I just don't see the purpose of the rule.

BloodandThunder
12-02-2010, 01:40 PM
I completely understand the part about the sleeve seams as far as keeping it single-ply etc.

The sleeve length makes no sense though. If you get on the platform and the sleeve is over your elbow then you are breaking the rules. Pretty easy to see. I would think that having to measure the length of sleeves would slow down equipment check etc.

In fact, there is no advantage to the sleeves being too short. If the sleeves are too short it really hurts your lockout. I guess I just don't see the purpose of the rule.

I agree completely. It just seems to me that they wanted to fully define having an unaltered sleeve as the main point of the rule. I guess part of that is establishing the minimum sleeve length as designated by the manufacturers. This seems like kind of a move toward stock car racing, ensuring that gear is held standard across competitors, with the obvious exceptions of tightening on the original seam for bench shirts and bunnyearing your squat/DL suit straps and seams. Other than that, who knows.

AdamBAG
12-02-2010, 02:21 PM
I agree completely. It just seems to me that they wanted to fully define having an unaltered sleeve as the main point of the rule. I guess part of that is establishing the minimum sleeve length as designated by the manufacturers. This seems like kind of a move toward stock car racing, ensuring that gear is held standard across competitors, with the obvious exceptions of tightening on the original seam for bench shirts and bunnyearing your squat/DL suit straps and seams. Other than that, who knows.

Yeah, I guess so. I think you are right.

It's just seems like usually you get a new rule to keep somebody from "bending" or "breaking" the current rules. Like the "sternum rule" was put in to stop belly benching and the rule about the sleeve seams to keep people from creating 2-ply sleeves. I just can't figure out what the worry is about minimum sleeve length. I've actually tried on shirts of other guys who have shorter arms than me and have shortened sleeves and I could get absolutely nothing out of the shirt. You'll see this a lot at meets with young lifters that are tall and skinny. The length of the bench shirt sleeve hits them about where a t-shirt would instead of just above the elbow. They are too skinny for their height so they are wearing a shirt that would normally be worn by somebody in a much smaller weight class who has arms that length.

BloodandThunder
12-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Yea I know. But it seems that with their push toward IOC recogniton, the IPF wants a very precise and detailed rule book, like many of the other sports accepted already. If you look at the minutes, how many proposals that passed were simply rewording of previous rules. The stock car analogy seems viable. Which is why they got rid of the NASA suits in swimming. But to your point, again though it completely doesn't make sense to make a minimum when a minimum won't help you, they're doing it for the sake of doing it lol. It seems every facet of the lifts must have a rule governing it.

Kind of like maximum area coverage of knee wraps. Doesn't make sense to wrap all over your legs (especially with 2.0 m wraps that you have to use) but they do define a maximum area you can cover and can't go over. Despite the fact, I've never once seen a person attempt to go with more area.

AdamBAG
12-02-2010, 02:32 PM
Yea I know. But it seems that with their push toward IOC recogniton, the IPF wants a very precise and detailed rule book, like many of the other sports accepted already. If you look at the minutes, how many proposals that passed were simply rewording of previous rules. The stock car analogy seems viable. Which is why they got rid of the NASA suits in swimming. But to your point, again though it completely doesn't make sense to make a minimum when a minimum won't help you, they're doing it for the sake of doing it lol. It seems every facet of the lifts must have a rule governing it.

Kind of like maximum area coverage of knee wraps. Doesn't make sense to wrap all over your legs (especially with 2.0 m wraps that you have to use) but they do define a maximum area you can cover and can't go over. Despite the fact, I've never once seen a person attempt to go with more area.

Yeah, that's really the only logical explanation. I honestly can't think of any other reason why.

theBarzeen
12-02-2010, 04:18 PM
sounds to me like they want to stop lifters from jacking up their shirts too much........ scooping the neck of a shirt and shortening the sleeves so you can pull it way low.......

This is great news for me and all other APF lifters........ and USPF,IPF,UPA,SPF.... whatever.......

JK1
12-02-2010, 05:14 PM
I would be interested to know how this will be enforced once a shirt has either stretched out or been washed to shrink it. The sleeve will be shorter or longer without the cutting of the sleeve.

When I benched in a single ply Rage X, I routinely cut 2-3 inches off the sleeves (I've apparently got ridiculously short arms for being a big fat guy). If I didn't the shirt bunched so much around my elbows my hands turned purple and then went numb. I now am using a single ply SK, which I don't shorten the sleeves on, but I do have to bunch the sleeve up over my elbow and it does pinch the living **** out of me most of the time. The only reason I'm not taking an inch off that sleeve is because I havent' figured out how to do it with the angled seam where I don't screw up the physics of the shirt.

I personally think there is very little thought for the lifter put into anything the IPF does anymore.

tarikihongan
12-02-2010, 05:16 PM
IPF will degenerate if the shirt adjusted according to each physique is prohibited.:tuttut:

Travis Bell
12-02-2010, 05:31 PM
sounds to me like they want to stop lifters from jacking up their shirts too much........ scooping the neck of a shirt and shortening the sleeves so you can pull it way low.......

This is great news for me and all other APF lifters........ and USPF,IPF,UPA,SPF.... whatever.......

^This

What some guys do is cut a couple inches off the sleeves so they can pull the sleeves towards their elbows, which really snugs up the chest plate and then when you bring the bar down, it bunches up a little more around the triceps.

So you could pull the sleeves down, with them still not covering your elbows.

I never could make it work. Always locked up way too much towards the bottom and I haven't seen a ton of guys do it well but whatever.

Personally I think the IPF will end up going raw. They are going to just do whatever the IOC says they need to do and then it still won't get into the Olympics

drbill
12-03-2010, 08:13 AM
It, the rule, probably has more to do with what you do to the shirt AFTER you buy it. In other words, if you want the sleeves shortened order them that way...so that the original seam is still intact. I "think" the rules apples to someone getting a shirt and THEN cutting the sleeves. I routinely have Inzer take 1-2" of my sleeve length. So I'm thinking if you order the shirt directly from the manufacturer with an inch taken off it is legal. It you buy the shirt and cut an inch off it is illegal...either way...too many rules over there...

martin
12-03-2010, 08:33 AM
What if you have short arms and standard length sleeves cover your elbow??? Your not allowed to wear a shirt lol

AdamBAG
12-03-2010, 08:35 AM
What if you have short arms and standard length sleeves cover your elbow??? Your not allowed to wear a shirt lol

I'm not sure. It says the manufacturer must tell the IPF a minimum and maximum length. I think that leaves some leeway as far as shortening them some, but who knows how much.