PDA

View Full Version : Good mornings? .. and gear!

PLjaysmith
12-02-2010, 05:17 AM
for anybody reading i would like some input, im going to focus alot on good mornings over the next 10 weeks and see how they transfer my lifts(Sq/Dl primarily)...

i have a tendancy to fall forward in the squat which i know can be fixed with verbal cueing +technique improvements, its mainly due to my hips firing first which im working on!... but since i started training never been a big fan of them, almost scared of them! hence why i dont know alot about them but i know alot of lifters especially the old westside focused alot on them as a means to working the posterior chain... i need one for my M/e movements and im thinking suspended/concentric good mornings but from the pins in the rack (5 rep maxes) and just strict GM's for assistance work when my M/e movement isnt a good morning

also, i want to start training in some gear which i already have and have used a few times... i was thinking of putting the suit on for D/E squats straps down almost as a pair of briefs and just working them in on M/E movements wherever possible... and same concept for the shirt, just obviously not speed work (following a M/E.. D/E approach)

thanks in advance fella's

JSully
12-02-2010, 06:28 AM
I'm not a gear whore so I can't comment on the gear, however GMs, IMO are fantastic for both squats and pulls (or should I say presses? lulz). A strong GM (and lats) will allow you to lock your back in place when you dip your ass as you begin your pull. Heavy GMs and single handedly fixed the issue I had with my ass shooting up on my deads (probably some abwork did as well, but I put a hell of a lot more focus into GMs than abs). A strong GM also fixed the issue I had when my ass would fall forward on a squat as I just couldn't keep my back tight and in-line on ME movements.

Make sure you do lost of variations. Seated, sumo, stiff leg, arched back, round back, SSB, etc.. They're brutal and awesome at the same time.

This is just for me though, I'm curious to see what some of the elite PLers say as I'm only to about a 1700lb raw total right now..

AdamBAG
12-02-2010, 08:04 AM
I agree on the GMs. A good max effort choice or assistance choice.

The plan for the gear sounds fine, just don't use it all the time. You still need raw work in the westside template.

SELK
12-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Ive seen some nice strength increases doing GMs twice a week for sets of 5 after squats or deads. Wide stance and close stance, chain suspended and regular, belted and beltless. Just keep switching it up and make sure you are adding more weight to the bar.

Dan Fanelli
12-04-2010, 04:13 PM
(or should I say presses? lulz).

Is this in reference to what I think it is?

Brian Hopper
12-04-2010, 04:54 PM
I'm sort of in the same boat about starting to work with GM's. I've been preached to alot about how good they are and how they will help my squat and deadlift but I use to hate doing them. But now i'm going to work them hard because my deadlift has been suffering for almost 2 years now. I'm not sure if you were wanting to do GM's with gear on, but unless you have some sort of hip injury, I wouldn't recommend it. As far as your speed squats go then wearing gear is fine, especially if your going to be squatting wide and on a low box against bands. But doing them raw is fine also, which is what i'm doing now. I'm just not squatting wide so my hips aren't getting torn up. I have also worn my single ply squat suit with the straps down for speed.

ScottYard
12-04-2010, 05:15 PM
G.ms are a great tool. Just be sure to squat in some fashion each week. Gear needs to be worn often for it to be effective by the user.