PDA

View Full Version : Body fat % and eta for "abs"

crazyman17
12-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Hi,

I'm sort of new to "working out", been doing it for about 8 months, with about a 3 week break during that time.

I wanted to "cut" up as much as I possibly can within ~ 2 months. As a result, I have started dieting and doing cardio (in addition to weight lifting). I have been doing the following routine for 3 weeks now.

Morning: short black coffee, no sugar (ie, coffee and water). Weight training whatever muscle group I didn't train day before (eg chest), followed by cardio (exercise bike, skipping, running around the block, sit ups as fast as possible). This all takes me about 90 mins. After that, I have a protein shake, and about 30min-1 hr later, 3 boiled eggs, no yolk with springwater tuna topped with spices and black pepper.

Rest for a good hour or two, whilst sipping on some green tea, have another short black, no sugar, followed by another (short, about 30-45 mins) weight training exercise (eg tri's, or back, etc) (no cardio).

Have a chicken breast salad after that. Rest again, for dinner, couple of hours later, have some grilled/baked fish, or occasionally, roast lamb or beef, usualyl with some for veggies.

Also forgot to mention, I munch on about 100-200g of nuts throughout different periods in the day. Btw, diet contains no carbs, except that found in nuts.

I give each muscle group at least 1-2 days rest, and on "rest" days (1-2 days a week), I don't do the later weight training session, but still do what I do in the morning.

I have uploaded some pictures of my body, I got theses results within 1 week (happy insofar), but now 2 weeks later (total 3 weeks), after following the same regime, I the results still look the same as the first week.

My goal atm isn't to bulk up, but to "cut" up as much as I can.

If you don't mind, can you estimate my body fat % atm, and given that I've been doing this regime for 3 weeks, how much longer till I will see the abs pop out more clearly. Also, can I change anything in my regime. My goal is to "cut" as much as I can by new years eve, 7 weeks it will be by then. Can I expect good results then or would I need longer?

Thanks for any responses in advance (btw, I drink at least 15 glasses water a day)

tcooper
12-03-2010, 12:23 AM
i dont want to touch this one with a 10 foot stick.. ill let someone else give it a go

crazyman17
12-03-2010, 12:34 AM
i dont want to touch this one with a 10 foot stick.. ill let someone else give it a go

Is that because the Q is too long? I'll shorten it for you, what's your estimate of my body fat %?

Codeguru
12-03-2010, 01:46 AM
I dunno about bodyfat, but I'd say not much. Do ab workouts a lot, you're down in bodyfat way more than I am that's for sure and I can at least see my bulges, covered in fat they may be. If you want a suggestion, the Ab Rocket is what I used. I just went friggn crazy with it doing 5 sets a day targetting upper, lower, middle, and obliques. I did that for 2 months and I kinda burnt out but the muscle is still there and growing at a steady pace with maintenance workouts. Now I use a lot of leg lift exercises as well as the Ab Rocket. But those are just a few options I guess...

Codeguru

Bosch232
12-03-2010, 03:40 PM
14.5%

Off Road
12-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Funny how some guys can have abs visible with teen percentage bodyfat. Others need to get low bodyfat and work their abs to get them to pop. And still others will NEVER get abs no matter what they try.

Bosch232
12-11-2010, 10:39 PM
14.5%

Just for the record, my post was half in jest.

Raleighwood
12-12-2010, 10:04 AM
You can't really cut if you don't have any meat.

I know this is not your goal, but I really think you'd be better off in the long term of focusing on gaining muscular body weight, 2-8lbs a month. Biggest thing to focus on would be a progression of getting stronger on the big 4 (squat, bench, dead, press) and get your chin ups to over 10-15 for sets.

If you can do that without gaining a significant amount of body fat. In 6 months you'll look like a new man.

f=ma
12-12-2010, 10:52 AM
you dont have enough muscle to make cutting worthwhile. you might get some ab nubs once you get down around 8-9% but dont keep your expectations too high

you have very little lean body mass and have a body fat in the low-mid teen. this is an unfavorable combination.

chevelle2291
12-12-2010, 04:11 PM
you dont have enough muscle to make cutting worthwhile. you might get some ab nubs once you get down around 8-9% but dont keep your expectations too high

you have very little lean body mass and have a body fat in the low-mid teen. this is an unfavorable combination.

I loled at ab "nubs."

chevelle2291
12-12-2010, 04:14 PM
OP, "cutting" at your weight and composition is going to leave you looking terrible. Trust me. Been there and done that. I'd bulk clean if I were you. If you're still at home and not in college it should be pretty easy to do a clean bullk with chicken, rice, veggies,etc. You're probably going to have to eat way out of your comfort level, however.

Oh, and get on a good program like SS, 5x5, or HCT-12.

Stickies.

RichMcGuire
12-12-2010, 07:33 PM
OP, "cutting" at your weight and composition is going to leave you looking terrible. Trust me. Been there and done that. I'd bulk clean if I were you. If you're still at home and not in college it should be pretty easy to do a clean bullk with chicken, rice, veggies,etc. You're probably going to have to eat way out of your comfort level, however.

Oh, and get on a good program like SS, 5x5, or HCT-12.

Stickies.

I really despise that "bulking clean" term. I think most people use it as to mean they are bulking with minimal fat gain.. but that's more achieved by having only slightly more Calories over maintenance. Food selections don't really define clean bulks or whatever. At the end of the day, it comes down to macro nutrients over these so-called "clean" foods and "dirty" foods.

But I quoted this post also because I agree with the other part. As others have said, OP, you could focus on gaining some body weight first. It will make a cut that much more appealing when you get there. But I don't think you need to worry about food choices and macros, or whatever. You look like you could just scarf down food, and lots of it.. in the form of junk food, and other more healthy choices. Your focus should be on total Calories. Other things will fall into place.

I know that doesn't answer your question specifically, but most of us here on WBB want to still give you some solid advice because a lot of us have been there in your shoes.

chevelle2291
12-12-2010, 08:53 PM
I really despise that "bulking clean" term. I think most people use it as to mean they are bulking with minimal fat gain.. but that's more achieved by having only slightly more Calories over maintenance. Food selections don't really define clean bulks or whatever. At the end of the day, it comes down to macro nutrients over these so-called "clean" foods and "dirty" foods.

But I quoted this post also because I agree with the other part. As others have said, OP, you could focus on gaining some body weight first. It will make a cut that much more appealing when you get there. But I don't think you need to worry about food choices and macros, or whatever. You look like you could just scarf down food, and lots of it.. in the form of junk food, and other more healthy choices. Your focus should be on total Calories. Other things will fall into place.

I know that doesn't answer your question specifically, but most of us here on WBB want to still give you some solid advice because a lot of us have been there in your shoes.

You're right, but I do believe that bulking "clean" with healthier foods has its benefits. And I do agree with you that a "clean" bulk is really just a slightly over maintenane bulk. I probably should've used the term "slow" bulk. I know that I look way leaner when I'm bulking on clean food as opposed to "dirty" food. I notice a relatively dramatic change in definition when I'm home and eating chicken/rice/pork/potatoes as opposed to pizza and burgers. Maybe it's a water weight thing, maybe not.

ThomasG
12-13-2010, 11:04 AM
You're right, but I do believe that bulking "clean" with healthier foods has its benefits. And I do agree with you that a "clean" bulk is really just a slightly over maintenane bulk. I probably should've used the term "slow" bulk. I know that I look way leaner when I'm bulking on clean food as opposed to "dirty" food. I notice a relatively dramatic change in definition when I'm home and eating chicken/rice/pork/potatoes as opposed to pizza and burgers. Maybe it's a water weight thing, maybe not.

x2. It's not just water. Take two trainees put them on 500 calories above maintenance the trainee with a proper macro-nutrient ratio is going to have the better results. I'd like to see a proper macro-nutrient ratio eating mcdonalds, pizza and junk all day, not likely to happen. Not only better results the trainee will also feel better and have a better HDL/LDL ratio.

Behemoth
12-13-2010, 11:41 AM
x2. It's not just water. Take two trainees put them on 500 calories above maintenance the trainee with a proper macro-nutrient ratio is going to have the better results. I'd like to see a proper macro-nutrient ratio eating mcdonalds, pizza and junk all day, not likely to happen. Not only better results the trainee will also feel better and have a better HDL/LDL ratio.

What he said. Not to mention better insulin sensitivy, bp, and countless other general health issues.

mchicia1
12-13-2010, 11:56 AM
You can't really cut if you don't have any meat.

I know this is not your goal, but I really think you'd be better off in the long term of focusing on gaining muscular body weight, 2-8lbs a month. Biggest thing to focus on would be a progression of getting stronger on the big 4 (squat, bench, dead, press) and get your chin ups to over 10-15 for sets.

If you can do that without gaining a significant amount of body fat. In 6 months you'll look like a new man.

Listen to them...if you cut, you will just look emaciated.

This as well..

I was feeling great for like 6 months straight with hitting fast food maybe once a week. I have been pressed for time lately and was hitting up wendys daily for about 10 days. Felt like absolute GARBAGE every day. No matter how much sleep I got, it was never enough. Gym motivation suffered as well. Not that I ever skip, but it was really tough to have any intensity on anything. Stay away from fast food unless you are in a rush and have no other choice.

RichMcGuire
12-13-2010, 05:58 PM

No but it would be easy as hell to get the proper macros incorporating some junk food in some of your meals. Some people can't eat enough chicken and veggies to gain weight without puking. At that point, the person with the most Calories will be better off ;)

Moderation is key of course. But fast food isn't as bad as people make it out to be either.

RichMcGuire
12-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Listen to them...if you cut, you will just look emaciated.

This as well..

I was feeling great for like 6 months straight with hitting fast food maybe once a week. I have been pressed for time lately and was hitting up wendys daily for about 10 days. Felt like absolute GARBAGE every day. No matter how much sleep I got, it was never enough. Gym motivation suffered as well. Not that I ever skip, but it was really tough to have any intensity on anything. Stay away from fast food unless you are in a rush and have no other choice.

I feel absolutely amazing after I eat 4 cheeseburgers and some coffee :D It's hard to explain in words. lol

Phenom
12-13-2010, 06:34 PM
"You can't chisel a pebble."

-Arnold

RichMcGuire
12-13-2010, 06:56 PM
"You can't chisel a pebble."

-Arnold

lol, I always loved that quote. It's spot on too.

crazyman17
12-25-2010, 05:10 AM
wow thanks for all the responses, much appreciated. i guess ill just take the general advice to eat as much calories and protein I can in one day and continue training.

f=ma
12-26-2010, 05:21 PM
not "as much as possible," it should be just over what you NEED to maintain.. good luck

crazyman17
03-06-2011, 06:22 AM
I've been doing what people here have suggested, have some pics with more bodyfat% and more size.

would appreciate any kind of feedback/constructive criticism/motivation.

i have been emphasizing chest(bench - incline, decline, flat and flys), legs (deadlift, lunges), shoulder (military press) and tri (dips) exercises a lot. also doing lat pulldowns and pull ups when i found the time.

crazyman17
03-06-2011, 06:29 AM
by the way, just for my knowledge, what do you guys think my bf% is now

f=ma
03-06-2011, 06:29 AM
you appear to have added some upper body size how much of that is fat and muscle is hard to tell as the chest pose is different.. hard to tell for sure. bf definitely looks a little higher. all in all, lift progressively and keep eating. if youre gaining body fat, you have the capability to be building muscle. so in that respect, youre on the right track.. make sure youre lifting progressively and resting. the rest will fall in place