PDA

View Full Version : weak triceps

gmen5681
12-03-2010, 06:53 PM
my bench has always sucked with my long ass arms and weak triceps, but as of lately the weak triceps are really killing my bench, i always get stuck around 3-4 inchs off chest, right about where my triceps would take the majority of the load and when i would begin to flare out.

i know westside is big on extra sessions to bring up lagging parts, but what type of movements, how often and where in schedule?

i train a traditional westside with 2 DE and 2 ME a week, but want to add in the extra tricep stuff. i was thinking of just doing 50-60 reps of band pressdowns every night, nothing that is going to overload them but just something for that extra little session. what would you recommend?

Bosshogg300
12-03-2010, 07:47 PM
How about lockouts

NickAus
12-03-2010, 08:04 PM
The benefits of high rep band pressdowns will take a long time to see.

Full range pressing against bands and also off 2-5 board for sets of 3-5 helped my triceps big time.

Brian Hopper
12-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Try doing some close grip board presses, weighted dips, kickbacks, skull crushers, JM presses, Tate presses and high rep pressdowns. These have helped me out and are also my favorite. At the end of my speed day I would always finish off with 100 rep pressdowns, usually 4 sets of 25.

kingns
12-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I do the pushdowns before bed when coming up to a meet, but more so than that you need to train them hard in the gym. Close grip board presses are good, as well as bands or chains full range, extensions of all types too. If you really want to bring them up do all of your pressing with a close grip, and make sure to turn your elbows IN to your sides, also do that during your extensions.
I train my triceps twice a week after me and de bench days. But have done 100 reps every night with a mini band or light band hung over a door. Every night is probly overkill, and 3 times a week or just the day after benching.
More importantly than that missing a weight 3-4 off your chest doesnt necessarily mean you have weak triceps. About there I really need my delts to fire to bring the weight up further. I dont think your triceps really take over until you are much higher than that. At that point you need your chest and delts still actually rotating your arms before your tris can lock anything out. Your lats can blast the weight those first few inches.
Good Luck

Keith
12-04-2010, 07:48 AM
http://www.wannabebig.com/forums/showthread.php?127903-4-Board-for-triceps-for-raw-bench

theBarzeen
12-04-2010, 03:33 PM
I like heavy, narrow-grip 3 board presses and skull-crushers using the spud strap and chains on an incline bench..... those are cool because the chains load up heavier for the lockout and really make you work if you slow down

How much extra stuff you can handle is different for everybody..... when I was just starting out I could do more auxiliary stuff and press twice a week, but as the weights got heavier I started to get too beat up and had to back off of the volume a bit......... for a new lifter you might make gains doing pressdowns every day, but a lifter with a few years under his ( or her) belt would probably only need one extra workout a week....... just my $0.02

AdamBAG
12-05-2010, 06:59 AM
I think what most of the guys here are getting at is "what are you doing on your max effort/dynamic effort days?" Maybe you just need to adjust these workouts to hit the lockout more than adding extra work?

I used to have trouble at lockout. On dynamic days I started focusing on exploding through my sticking points and always used grips inside comp. grip to hit the triceps more. Then I'd do some 3-5 board lockouts with whatever bands or chains I used for dynamic day (this can burn you out though so be careful).

For my max effort work I always used a close grip on everything and always used chains bands etc. to make the lockout harder. Even if my #s were down. This made my triceps/lockout stronger when I came back to the bench shirt and when I benched raw out wide.