PDA

View Full Version : When to put on gear

kingns
12-05-2010, 11:15 PM
How much do you normally work up raw before you put gear on?

I'm trying to figure out how much raw work I should do before I put my gear on. For instance on bench should I hit a 1rm raw and then put the shirt on or just warm up and put it on? I feel like the raw work will still help make me stronger but to some extent will just tire me out before I start the geared work. I'm still pretty unexperienced with gear and am just trying to get some insight on how to use it. With deads I feel like I need to work up with the suit on to get the groove down, with the bench shirt its a little easier I just wouldnt want to tire myself out, and with squats I would also want to work up with it to make sure I was in the groove right.

Thank for any help

douglasoh5
12-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Most the time if O plan on shirting up I will go up to something heavy raw say 85-90% of my max then throw my shirt on. As far as pure raw work, if your trying to get your shirted bench up raw stuff is still great, but make sure its raw stuff that will translate to a bigger shirted bench. benching with bands, reverse band, cnains. board work all are good raw work that helps both. Just dont try to only do a full range raw bench all the time.

The deadlift if you need practice in gear throw that suit on straps up at like 60%

The squat is tricky. put briefs on really early and suit on with straps up pretty early too.

ct67_72
12-06-2010, 08:07 AM
For me it depends. If Im getting ready for a meetor something where I have not been in gear for a while I will go up to 80-90ish% before getting in my shirt, making sure not to kill myself before the real heavy work.
Lately I have done a couple back to back meets, so I have been doing all my raw work and working up to a 1RM, actually last 3 weeks have all been PR's, and then into the shirt for a 1RM. It seems to be working pretty well, I wanted to make sure I got some raw work in being that I had the shirt on for 12-14 weeks out of 20, maybe more.

AdamBAG
12-06-2010, 08:15 AM
I pretty much do what Rich was suggesting.

On the days I want to bench in my shirt I just do max effort work in the shirt. On other max effort days I'll work raw.

There is nothing wrong with using a workout for gear practice. Maybe you go up to a new max or maybe you take multiple singles at an "opener" weight. Whatever you need to do to learn your gear is what you should do.

Brian Hopper
12-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Most the time if O plan on shirting up I will go up to something heavy raw say 85-90% of my max then throw my shirt on. As far as pure raw work, if your trying to get your shirted bench up raw stuff is still great, but make sure its raw stuff that will translate to a bigger shirted bench. benching with bands, reverse band, cnains. board work all are good raw work that helps both. Just dont try to only do a full range raw bench all the time.

The deadlift if you need practice in gear throw that suit on straps up at like 60%

The squat is tricky. put briefs on really early and suit on with straps up pretty early too.

I'm the same way.

I'll work up to about 85-95% of my raw max and then throw my shirt on. For my deadlift I'll work up to about 60-65% of my raw max and then throw my suit and work up from there.My squat is alot different, I'll warm up doing wall squats then I'll throw my briefs on and start. Then I'll work up to about 65% of my best full geared squat then throw my suit on and go from there.

Everybody is different, but this is what I have done for my past 4 geared meets and has seemed to work well for me. Just try different things and see what feels comfortable and see what will work best for you.

JK1
12-06-2010, 04:28 PM
For squats, if I'm wearing briefs, I will put them on at somewhere in the mid 400s (which is after 3-4 warmpup sets) otherwise its suit on, straps down. I'll put the straps up somewhere in the mid 700's and go from there. I'f I'm wearing the suit and briefs, I'll put the suit on at about 650 or so. I typically take about 90-100 lb jumps on squats until the low 800's then its 50 lbs/set. So basically briefs or suit on/straps down at ~50%, suit,s traps down + briefs at about 75%, and suit, straps up at anything over ~90%

For bench, i always warm up raw until the low 400's. Then its shirt on and a jump to the low to mid 500's and go from there... so basically shirt on at about 75%

For deadlifts, its briefs on at 405 or 445 (if I'm using 100's). I'm not pulling in a suit right now. We are having personal issues with each other.

theBarzeen
12-06-2010, 04:45 PM
For squat I warm up with the bar then immediately get in to briefs..... suit usually somewhere around 700 ( I've hit 800 in briefs and plan to open mid-800's this year)

For bench I'll go to 365 to the chest, maybe 405 to boards ( between a 455 and 500 raw bencher) get in to the shirt around 500 or 550 ( plan to open just over 600 this year)

For deadlift I'll be pulling in just a 2-ply Overkill DL suit this year..... it's tight as all heck so after 135 I get my suit on and my warm up is 20 minutes of fighting with the suit...... usually by my 4th set in it it's worked its way all the way up ( around 400ish) straps go on over 500 ( plan to open upper 5's or low 600's this year)

this is just what I've found works best for me. I do have heavy raw days, but on days when I'm working the gear I don't see any point to doing anything heavy raw... just warm up to the point when I can get in to my gear..... if I really feel like doing some raw work on a geared lifting day I'll do a few down sets after my heaviest geared single.

SELK
12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
squats - full gear without wraps at 225lbs usually, sometimes 315. Put knee wraps on at 800ish.
deads - 225lbs i throw the suit on, straps up around 405.
bench - work up a bit heavier than the other lifts. around 80%1rm then I get in the shirt.

The earlier I get into the gear in the squat the more sets I have to tweak it.