PDA

View Full Version : Healthiest Cheeses

boredguy09
12-06-2010, 04:53 AM
I'm new to this whole weight lifting and dieting thing. I lift recreationally but am looking to actually get serious. I also want to start dieting properly. I was curious as to what the best cheese's are. I work a desk job at night so I don't often have the equipment to cook most things so I usually eat cold food. Any suggestions aside from cottage cheese?

Off Road
12-06-2010, 06:19 AM
Haha...I was going to recomend cottage cheese until I read that last line. Other than cottage cheese, I don't eat too much cheese except graded parmesan on my pizza :)

Behemoth
12-06-2010, 06:26 AM
For the most part they're all pretty similiar. Cheese doesn't have to be eliminated, but definetly isn't thought of as a bodybuilding staple. Are you looking for something to snack on or are you just a cheese lover?

Mercuryblade
12-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Feta is probably the next best to cottage.

Krazor
12-06-2010, 01:50 PM
I was looking at some of the cheeses at sams the other day, they didn't have all kinds of cheeses but of the ones they had, Mozzarella had the better calorie/protein ratio.

boredguy09
12-09-2010, 09:29 PM
For the most part they're all pretty similiar. Cheese doesn't have to be eliminated, but definetly isn't thought of as a bodybuilding staple. Are you looking for something to snack on or are you just a cheese lover?

It's something to snack on. I do love cheese but that isn't the reason i'm asking. Thing is I work graveyard in a hotel at the desk so I don't have the means to have a nice hot meal and am stuck making sandwiches or deli trays to eat at work. So something cold with a high protien and low fat is what I'm looking for. It's just after so long cottage cheese gets old so i'm looking to find something to mix it up without really intaking too much fat. Thought I'd ask what others thought on the matter.

Mercuryblade
12-09-2010, 10:41 PM
It's something to snack on. I do love cheese but that isn't the reason i'm asking. Thing is I work graveyard in a hotel at the desk so I don't have the means to have a nice hot meal and am stuck making sandwiches or deli trays to eat at work. So something cold with a high protien and low fat is what I'm looking for. It's just after so long cottage cheese gets old so i'm looking to find something to mix it up without really intaking too much fat. Thought I'd ask what others thought on the matter.

You could try skim mozzarella.

f=ma
12-10-2010, 03:35 AM

<3 cheese..... so tasty

on a separate but related note -- not necessarily to hijack -- why does fat free cheese not melt well at all but 2% melts just fine? it must be the fat content or the oil in the milk fat I suppose that gives it that texture allowing it to melt at lower temps.

f=ma
12-10-2010, 03:36 AM
there are fat free swiss brands out there.. jarlsberg is my favorite

boredguy09
12-11-2010, 05:02 AM
I appreciate the feedback guys. And f=ma you raise a good question. I tend to steer away from fat free cheeses but I suppose I should start eating them to limit fat intake. Once again thanks to all who have posted.