PDA

View Full Version : Sumo/Conv Deadlift? Advice

basbolstar
12-07-2010, 09:11 AM
Hey all,

I know that there have been numerous posts about this topic but I need some advice.

I am a good conv puller. 520 raw, 550 suited. Good off the floor. Ok at lockout. I just started doing sumo and getting the hang of it. Just did 500 the other day. I am about 5'11(198) and havbe somewhat long arms.

Should I justs tick with Conv or really try Sumo. I have seen some unreal pulls sumo so I figure its worth a shot.

Please let me know...

kingns
12-07-2010, 11:36 AM
Most really good deadlifters do both styles in training. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate that. Don't just do one though.

AdamBAG
12-07-2010, 02:09 PM
Just continue to train both. I think one complements the other. Use the one you are strongest at in the meet!

Brian Hopper
12-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Just continue to train both. I think one complements the other. Use the one you are strongest at in the meet!

I agree, train both and figure out which one your stronger at and use that technique at the meet.

jtteg_x
12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
^what they said. I'm better at pulling sumo but I do my speed pulls conventional stance. Sometimes in the rack as well.

NickAus
12-07-2010, 06:40 PM
Both will help each other.

If you are lifting the same on both sumo and con raw like me I say go Sumo and use your briefs, should get 30-50 out of them so long as your lock-out is good.

BloodandThunder
12-08-2010, 10:38 AM
What everyone else said +1....but one thing to remember if you are lifting at a meet.
If both lifts are fairly similar (and assuming you didn't just go with one style while prepping), go with the lift that you are most consistent with. I'm a god awful puller and use sumo at meets solely due to the single ply gear I have, but if I lifted raw, I'd go conventional because I'm much more confortable with grinding out a heavy single that way, even though I can pull more sumo. The risk for hitching is much higher for me sumo, so any lift 90%+ sumo for me is always 50/50 due to leverages.

basbolstar
12-08-2010, 12:49 PM
Ok, thanks everyone. Also, I think the answer is yes but u can wear a squat suit for SUMO correct? I have a TRX INZER suit. Was curious if I could use that.

SELK
12-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Yeah you can use that suit. Lots of guys pull sumo in squat suits.

I train both.. but I have the feeling that conv carries over more to sumo then the other way around.