PDA

View Full Version : Deadlift form check

TheRealDeal930
12-09-2010, 01:13 PM
first clip is from last week. 365 plus chains.
next 3 from today.
started with 135 x 5
225 x 5
315 x 5
405 x 1 i thought i hit record. didnt work
tried 405 again to record and failed
365 filmed
245 with 25's on bar filmed
315 with 35 on bar filmed
I think im too far over the bar, and it seems like Im slow off the ground. thats why i decided to try to lift with the 25's to start lower.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCtFW-A3Wno

LanceGoyke
12-10-2010, 06:03 AM
You've got to get tight BEFORE you pull.

Think of the actual lifting motion as the second pull, the first pull being where you push your heels into the ground a little bit to take the slack out of the bar so that your body is loaded. Jerking it off the floor won't help your numbers. Common sense says this doesn't allow for proper fast-twitch recruitment since you aren't trying to pull as fast as you can. Common sense is wrong. Ease it off the floor, then steamroll through the rest of the lift.

You're right about being too far over the bar. You can tell most of your weight is on your first metatarsal (big toe foot bone). Sit back a little more so your weight is spread evenly between your first metatarsal, fifth metatarsal, and heel. And push your knees out more.

Side bar: stability means you can move bigger weights. I know the wide stance is good for limiting range of motion, but you may be better off moving the stance in a little bit. I'm assuming you're a powerlifter, so this is just a suggestion, not a necessity.