PDA

View Full Version : Bench Question: Where to look?

johnnyo_99
12-10-2010, 08:00 AM
So I have gotten into this habit of staring at the bar when I bench, all the way down and then back up. I recall reading in starting strength that one should look straight up at the ceiling. So which is it? One way better than the other?

I am a novice (maybe intermediate) bencher and typically bench alone. Any advice is welcome, thanks.

AdamBAG
12-10-2010, 08:04 AM
I don't know that it really matters. If your bench is moving fine and you feel stable then I don't think I'd really worry about it.

Many guys that bench in a shirt raise their head to watch the bar touch and it hasn't hurt their bench (see Mark Bell).

Travis Bell
12-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I watch the bar the whole time.

Especially in a shirt, I know if I'm going to touch too high or too low.

Ryano
12-10-2010, 10:57 AM
I have a tendency to flatten out and lose some arch when I raise my head. I try to watch the bar until it goes out of sight and touch by "feel". By then my eyes might even be shut. I don't really know for sure. At a World meet in Vegas a few years ago, someone mentioned that the mirrors on the ceiling were bothering him since he could see himself. I had already lifted and didn't even notice it. Raising your head and watching the bar obviously works for some, but not all. Try both ways. I don't thnk it matters what you are specifically looking at.

Brian Hopper
12-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I have always watched the bar. Lately I have been benching with with my head flat, and I'm going to try it when I'm in a shirt.

ct67_72
12-11-2010, 05:11 PM
I cant even tell you where I look. I remember hearing Dave Tate say to watch the bar the whole motion. I have been trying to keep that in mind. I have a very hard time in a shirt though