PDA

View Full Version : Speed bench with bands

Mugen46
12-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Really considering doing a westside style of training and I'm just wondering about the benefits of speed bench with bands Also, are the bands tough on your shoulders? Are they taxing? How are your elbows with the bands? Anybody find that they help? This is for a raw lifter too

Dan Fanelli
12-10-2010, 11:44 PM
Really considering doing a westside style of training and I'm just wondering about the benefits of speed bench with bands Also, are the bands tough on your shoulders? Are they taxing? How are your elbows with the bands? Anybody find that they help? This is for a raw lifter too

Im still a beginner with Westside, but yes, speed bench is good. Its a good time to work on form, (lots of sets, with low reps) and speed is important. The bands will make it a bit harder on your elbows, so go into it gradually, and rotate them in and out every couple of weeks.

Brian Hopper
12-11-2010, 12:20 AM
I feel the speed work is beneficial. Alot of people would disagree, but I have had success doing it. I wouldnt recommend doing bands all the time because they will beat up your shoulders and elbows. I would cycle in some chains and straight weight about every 3 weeks. Definitely worth trying if you haven't done any speed bench before.

NickAus
12-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Yep speed bench will help both raw and shirted.

Personally I got best results from speed bench when using a little more tension than normal ie: 135 plus doubled monsters or two sets of doubled minis and my raw bench was only 365.
That is just what worked for me.

You need to cycle it in and out with the bands as they are pretty hard on you week after week.

Most hit DB bench after wards to work the muscles well, this was a big help for me.

Travis Bell
12-11-2010, 08:58 AM
As others have said, speed bench is very beneficial for raw lifters.

I've never really had any problems with bands bothering my elbows. I've always felt so long as you rehab your elbows enough they should be able to withstand some substantial abuse.

You have to do it correctly though. The bar weight should be secondary to ensuring you are moving the weight fast enough.

Lately I have read some stuff where guys said you have to pause your speed bench to make it work for raw lifters, I really disagree. Speed bench is teaching your muscles to explode very quickly. Pausing is more a skill than anything else that can be taught on ME day.

Brian Hopper
12-11-2010, 09:31 AM
I've never really had any problems with bands bothering my elbows. I've always felt so long as you rehab your elbows enough they should be able to withstand some substantial abuse.

Lately I have read some stuff where guys said you have to pause your speed bench to make it work for raw lifters, I really disagree. Speed bench is teaching your muscles to explode very quickly. Pausing is more a skill than anything else that can be taught on ME day.

I feel if I get away from speed work like I did recently, then my elbows will bother me a little.

As far as the pausing goes, this is something that I am experimenting with right now. I know alot of people will disagree with it, but i've been wanting to try it for awhile now. But I am going to cycle in the fast reps and the paused reps so I will still get the benefit. It's more trial and error since i'm not getting ready for anything right now.