PDA

View Full Version : ME days

gmen5681
12-11-2010, 02:00 PM
lately on my ME days i have been working up to a 1-3 RM on whatever movement i am doing, for lower its usually box squats and for upper its been floor presses. but then after i have been just going with a 2 set max effort in reps.

so for instance today was ME lower, i worked up to 1RM @ 345 off a below parallel box and then did 2 sets of 25 @ 135. i was basically seeing baby Jesus walking around after the 2nd set. so now im leaving all my accessory work to my DE days. im setting PRs every week, but thats because im still progressing in a linear fashion, everything is still beginner gains.

with this way im pretty sure i will have to deload more often, but as long as im still making progress week after week it should be good right?

is anyone else doing this, with keeping all accessory stuff to just the DE days?

hulk242
12-11-2010, 03:05 PM
I wouldn't do that everytime, but it's ok sometimes. I know if I decide to do something crazy and push the reps on squat, I won't have much left aftewards. Again, that is ok to do sometimes, to push your body to the limit. I just wouldn't neglect everything else in the process.

NickAus
12-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Keep doing it till it stops working, usually sets of high reps are not used on the main lifts though.

Brian Hopper
12-11-2010, 04:01 PM
I wouldn't do that everytime, but it's ok sometimes. I know if I decide to do something crazy and push the reps on squat, I won't have much left aftewards. Again, that is ok to do sometimes, to push your body to the limit. I just wouldn't neglect everything else in the process.

I'm gonna go with Adam on this one. I would not do those high reps all the time. Maybe do them once in awhile. But.....everyone is different. If your a beginner then you'll probably make gains no matter what you do.

IMO, I would do your first movement for a 1-3 rep max and do a second movement for the higher reps maybe 8-10 reps or more. Then start your accessory work. It's just something to think about or maybe try.

gmen5681
12-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Keep doing it till it stops working, usually sets of high reps are not used on the main lifts though.

its not really the main lift though. i mean it is the same lift that i did my 1-3RM on but then i drop down to like 40% of my 1RM and do a rep max. all my accessory stuff would be done on my DE days along with speed squat or speed bench as the first movement. im just gonna go with it until i wear out or stop making gains. not gonna fix something that aint broken. im really doing it for more of the conditioning aspect of it. i dont really see a difference in squatting til im dead tired vs pushing a prowler til i puke.

hulk242
12-12-2010, 05:22 PM
Honestly, it sounds like you had your mind made up before you asked the question. Again, I see nothing wrong with doing what you are, but it is not wise to do this all the time. Pushing a prowler is different from doing squats til you puke. A prowler can and will help recovery, squatting not so much.

NickAus
12-12-2010, 06:12 PM
First movement 1-5 second movement 3-10 then assistance work like back raises etc for higher reps has worked best for me and also my training partner.

Brian Hopper
12-12-2010, 06:23 PM
Honestly, it sounds like you had your mind made up before you asked the question. Again, I see nothing wrong with doing what you are, but it is not wise to do this all the time. Pushing a prowler is different from doing squats til you puke. A prowler can and will help recovery, squatting not so much.

Once again, I'm going to agree with Adam. IMO, you should be trying to get in some sort of accessory work on your ME days as well as your DE days. Going in there and just squatting a 1-3RM and then dropping down like you said and doing reps will eventually burn you out. Again, doing it every so often is fine but not everyday.

Since it looks like you made up your mind, good luck with it!!!

Brian Hopper
12-12-2010, 06:28 PM
First movement 1-5 second movement 3-10 then assistance work like back raises etc for higher reps has worked best for me and also my training partner.

Exactly, I would usually do 1-3 reps for my first movement. Then i'll do a second movement with reps from 5-10. After that I'll do about 2-3 accessory movements with reps around 10-20.

Dan Fanelli
12-12-2010, 07:15 PM
Are you rotating your main movement weekly?

gmen5681
12-13-2010, 02:27 PM
im sorry if i came off as i made up my mind already. i didnt mean it like that. i was just trying to show you where my mindset was with why i was doing it. from what you guys have told me and some of my good training partners have shared with me i guess ill save max reps for a once in a blue moon type of deal and stick with 5x10 at 50%ish range and then add some accessory stuff like the program is ment to be. thanks for all of your opinions tho guys i really appreciate it.

Travis Bell
12-13-2010, 04:19 PM
An absolute rep max as in training til failure is probably going to be just a little bit overkill.

However some down sets, especially on your bench days, for like sets of 15+ reps is never a bad idea.

gmen5681
12-13-2010, 05:25 PM
travis would you usually do that with DB or BB?

Travis Bell
12-13-2010, 06:28 PM
Either. I usually mix it up

vdizenzo
12-13-2010, 07:12 PM
I don't understand why you'll have to deload more often.

Dan Fanelli
12-13-2010, 07:18 PM
lately on my ME days i have been working up to a 1-3 RM on whatever movement i am doing, for lower its usually box squats and for upper its been floor presses. but then after i have been just going with a 2 set max effort in reps.

so for instance today was ME lower, i worked up to 1RM @ 345 off a below parallel box and then did 2 sets of 25 @ 135. i was basically seeing baby Jesus walking around after the 2nd set. so now im leaving all my accessory work to my DE days. im setting PRs every week, but thats because im still progressing in a linear fashion, everything is still beginner gains.

with this way im pretty sure i will have to deload more often, but as long as im still making progress week after week it should be good right?

is anyone else doing this, with keeping all accessory stuff to just the DE days?

Im still wondering if you are rotating your ME movements, but to answer your question, it probably depends on what your definition of "accessory" is?

Are you suggesting that you just go in and do your floor presses and thats it?

I dont think thats necessary or optimal.

All that matters is that the ME day is heavier than the DE day. And since its heavier you typically will need to do less total work.

There are a ton of different ways to go about that, but it might mean 3 exercises on ME day, and 6 on DE day. Or maybe built up to 1-2 heavy sets of 6-10 on ME days, and then dont go as heavy but do 4-5 sets of 10-15 on DE days.