PDA

View Full Version : Bench Shirt

kingns
12-12-2010, 10:13 PM
What bench shirt do you use and what do you think are the best ones out there?
I have a single ply rage x and am planning on getting a new one and wanna hear some different opinions. I know theres some pretty good benchers on here and wanna see what everyone uses. Single ply, multi ply whatever.
I really like the rage x and if I go double ply would probly just get a double rage x but know theres lots of other good shirts out there.

Brian Hopper
12-13-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm using a Metal double denim and had some really good luck in it. I have heard alot of good reviews on the Overkill shirts. Alot of people also like the SDP and the Metal Ace shirt as well. So you'll get alot of opinions on this topic, so it will be hard to say whats the best shirt out.

douglasoh5
12-13-2010, 05:34 AM
IMO the top 3 multi ply shirts out there are the sdp rage x and the ace. in no particular order. The overkill is such for most just overkill. I dont denie they are awesome bult shirts but just not alot of touching and pressing going on with them haha

vdizenzo
12-13-2010, 05:41 AM
IMO the top 3 multi ply shirts out there are the sdp rage x and the ace. in no particular order. The overkill is such for most just overkill. I dont denie they are awesome bult shirts but just not alot of touching and pressing going on with them haha

Oh no you didn't! I can't wait to watch this :soapbox:

J Stottlemire
12-13-2010, 07:08 AM
The best single ply shirt in my opinion is the Titan Super Katana, all the big single ply lifts are being done time and time again in this shirt, I've switched over to it in the past few months from from the rage x and look to soon hit over 700 in it's single ply version of it at 220pounds, they have a guarantee on runs and blowouts and it lasts much longer than a rage x as well. I think its an amazing shirt and if you go that route contact Ken Anderson at andersonpowerlifting.com and he will have you one in about 2 business days

j robinson
12-13-2010, 09:27 AM
I use a Karin's DD. It has been repaired 8-10 times and has multiple patches. I tried a SDP and a 2-ply Super Katana but as a short armed SHW they just didn't work well for me so back to the denim I went. I would love to try a Rage-X or an Overkill but am still up in the air on which to try.

mike95763
12-13-2010, 10:30 AM

I'm not a great presser, but I've had experience with all of the shirts you mentioned except the sdp. I use an overkill right now and I find it very easy to touch in. I've used an Ace in the past and found that to be not only hard to touch in, but also the most uncomfortable shirt I have every used as far as the amout of pressure at the bottom. Once it is broken in, the 2-ply overkill is very similar to a 2-ply rage x except it is custom fit and it seems to last longer.

vdizenzo
12-13-2010, 11:46 AM
My best equipped bench up until a year ago was 800 at 308. That was done in a Double Denim about 5 years ago. I languished with the SDP and Rage. Never once hit a pr. Since moving on to the Metal Ace I have hit multiple lifts over 800. My best now stands at 830 at 275.

j robinson
12-13-2010, 11:59 AM
My best equipped bench up until a year ago was 800 at 308. That was done in a Double Denim about 5 years ago. I languished with the SDP and Rage. Never once hit a pr. Since moving on to the Metal Ace I have hit multiple lifts over 800. My best now stands at 830 at 275.

I have heard great things about the Ace. The only question I really had about it was customization. In any shirt I have tried I have to get the sleeves shortened/tightened. Who does work on these shirts?

ct67_72
12-13-2010, 12:29 PM
I will put in my $.02 for what its worth. I have used a bunch of shirts (no metal though) and can honestly say that it depends on the lifter. I dont fight nearly as much to touch as most others so I like a shirt with a lot of stop. The overkill did this perfectly. Tons of pop from the bottom and great support through the lift.
I recently stopped wearing the overkill in favor of a used SDP that fits me. It is definitely way, way easier to touch in the SDP and at the moment I get probably 30lbs more from it than the overkill.
They are totally different animals though. I like a shirt to stop on the bottom and can take weight down fast. If you have a slow descent and have problems touching I would say that the SDP is way more forgiving. Much broader groove as well.
That being said my next shirt will be an overkill again, because I think with a new correct fitting shirt it will work the best for ME, but in the meantime Im going to put on a few pounds and see how far I get in the SDP.
I hope this makes sense, but my point is that everyone is different and I choose my shirt by my style and what has worked best for me.

mike95763
12-13-2010, 12:52 PM

If I am not mistaken you have also dieted down and built back up again and are in better overall shape then before. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be suprised if you could hit multiple lifts above 800 in any shirt that fits you correctly. Take a strong guy and put him in any top tier shirt and he will be putting up big numbers. There may be some small differences between the shirts, but I think it ends up coming down to personal preference, lifting style and body type.

Ryano
12-13-2010, 02:13 PM
I agree with Mike95763. It's not really the shirt, it's the person in it. The strength of the lifter and the ability to use the shirt. Strength + technique = big bench. The top lifters will be the top lifters no matter what they are wearing.

theBarzeen
12-13-2010, 06:21 PM
I've never used a Metal shirt that fits me well.... so I'll take Dizenzo's word on it....

I've used a few Denims, a single F6, a BOSS, a Rage X vfor a few workouts, and now an Overkill .... it took me a good couple of weeks to break it in, and lots of full range pressing to learn to touch, but I've never had problems touching in a meet..... lots of pop off of the chest, and a lot more support on top than the F6 or the BOSS..... The groove is similar to a Rage X, but the shirt has more pop......

All of that is just my own personal opinion though.....

Everyone needs to figure out what works best for them though..... the best advise anyone can get ( I've ever gotten) is just to try a shirt, give it a solid chance, and if it doesn't work go find something different...... after a few tries you'll get a better idea of what you want and can just find the shirt that fits the description......

vdizenzo
12-13-2010, 07:41 PM
Listen, I really don't care what people buy. I just said what I have worn and what has worked best for me. I have only had one Ace altered and that was a size 66 training shirt. The 62 and 60 that I have used in comps have no alterations other than me cutting some of the sleeve length off. The reason I say this is because in my opinion none of you are good enough to require lots of shirt alterations and neither am I. Great, Rudy does lots of measurements for the Overkill. That is nice customer service. If his shirt works for you that's great.

Just get a shirt and learn how to use it. Here's a tip, you can usually find a way to make a shirt that is a little loose to work, the same can't always be said about a shirt that's too tight.

vdizenzo
12-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Also, while I am in a dicky mood I'll throw this out there, I could care less about single ply. I have seen many guys not able to touch in single ply, so what's the difference. If you have a sinlge ply that works for you better than a multiply than run with it. However, I hate how some people make it sound like singly ply is less equipped than multiply. Being a little equipped is like being a little pregnant.

douglasoh5
12-14-2010, 07:12 AM
I agree if you ant benching over 800 you really dont need to worry about a custom shirt. you need to worry about getting stronger.

AdrianLarsen
12-14-2010, 08:06 AM
The best single ply shirt in my opinion is the Titan Super Katana, all the big single ply lifts are being done time and time again in this shirt, I've switched over to it in the past few months from from the rage x and look to soon hit over 700 in it's single ply version of it at 220pounds, they have a guarantee on runs and blowouts and it lasts much longer than a rage x as well. I think its an amazing shirt and if you go that route contact Ken Anderson at andersonpowerlifting.com and he will have you one in about 2 business days

I agree Titan Super Katanas single ply

drew
12-14-2010, 08:31 AM
Just pick a shirt and use it. When I went from a single to a double rageX, it took me 2 years before I could even touch a weight in the double. I could have quit, I could have just gone back to the single or I could have whined and said the shirt didn't work for me and gone to a different brand altogether. Instead, I worked, I learned and I figured out my shirt. I was rewarded with big PRs and I am still using the same shirt which will hopefully get me to even bigger weights. At this point I have invested so much effort into learning this shirt that it would make no sense to start using something else. Just pick one and stick with it.

What I've come to understand is that when someone is so gung ho about a certain shirt or brand, it's usually because that person is either sponsored by the company that makes that shirt OR that is the only shirt/brand that person has ever used.

kingns
12-14-2010, 09:13 PM
on a similar note, does anyone use denim bench shirts anymore? Everything I've heard about them is with custom shirts that are discontinued. Are the inzer or metal shirts even worth looking into or is it just poly stuff now? I'm still a newb and was not around when they were popular

Brian Hopper
12-15-2010, 08:20 AM
on a similar note, does anyone use denim bench shirts anymore? Everything I've heard about them is with custom shirts that are discontinued. Are the inzer or metal shirts even worth looking into or is it just poly stuff now? I'm still a newb and was not around when they were popular

I'm still using a Metal DD and I have a brand new Karen Kline DD that I haven't messed around with. I like my denim alot. I havent tried any poly shirts yet, so I really can't compare to anything else. But there are still alot of good litters wearing a denim. Greg Panora wears a Karen Kline denim shirt, and I think Hoff just switched to a poly shirt. John Manly wears a KK denim shirt as well. Bill Crawford benched 800+ in a denim sometime this year. Jim Hoskinson wears a Metal denim shirt and he has benched 800. These are just a few that I can think of. I guess it all comes down to preference and what you feel comfortable in and get good carryover with.