PDA

View Full Version : Sousa's Juggernaut Journal

Paul Sousa
12-13-2010, 11:41 AM
12/13/10

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Accumulation Phase - Day 1

Bench - 160x10x4/160x12

DB Incline Bench - 45x15x3

DB Row - 80x10x3 (used straps as hands and grip are fried)

Starting the Juggernaut Method today. Spent the summer losing weight and improving conditioning, then spent about a month on linear progression gaining some strength back. Also competed in my first strongman show on 12/5 and am now hooked so my training will be with strongman as a goal.

Today was a rushed session due to life stuff. I was in and out of the gym in 40 minutes, which given the volume today was pretty tough. The 4x10/1x10+ on bench was humbling. With only 160 I was expecting 15-20 reps on that last set. The goal is to leave 2-3 reps in the tank in this phase and when I got to 12 I knew I had to stop. Between short rests and the high volume I was spent.

Accessories felt good, will probably go up on DB rows next week. I'll aslo be adding sprints to my normal Monday sessions since they won't have a time constraint.

StLRPh
12-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Great way to start out Paul. With that much volume and that pace, you can almost consider it a conditioning session as well :)

BTW, where did you end up on the linear progression programming you were using?

Paul Sousa
12-13-2010, 03:26 PM
Great way to start out Paul. With that much volume and that pace, you can almost consider it a conditioning session as well :)

BTW, where did you end up on the linear progression programming you were using?

Thanks! I haven't felt like that after a session since I used to do bodybuilding routines back in the day!

The program I was on was a linear progression, but the third set each session was for max reps. My last sets for each of the big lifts were:

Squat - 245x10 (went well shy of failure as I was a week out of my competition)
Deadlift - 330x10
Bench - 207.5x10
Press - 147.5x9

I tested maxes between Thursday and Saturday, and not surpringly they were lower than expected. Pretty sure I was not fully recovered from the competition on the 5th.

Maxes:
Squat - 295
Deadlift - 405
Bench - 285
Press - 175

Paul Sousa
12-15-2010, 05:10 PM
12/15/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Accumulation Phase - Day 2

Jumps - 24"x3x6

Squats - 165x10x4/165x15

Good Mornings - 95x10x3

Iso Side Holds - 2x3x10sec

Sprints - 1 x 7mph x 20sec/4 x 8mph x 20sec

Not much to write about here. Did some jumps to start, nothing serious but I really want to stay consistent with them. Squats were good, and the high volume definitely feels different. Went with good mornings as I realized my gym doesn't have a GHR (there is a really old school looking thing that might be one, but it doesn't look like any I've ever seen). For ab work I did some isometric side holds with a cable. I like the iso ab work and didn't feel like doing weighted planks after the good mornings. Finished with some sprints.

StLRPh
12-15-2010, 05:50 PM
That's a lot of squats

Paul Sousa
12-15-2010, 07:14 PM
That's a lot of squats

Yes, way more than I am used to. By the last set my legs felt spent, but in a totally different way than a heavy 5x3 makes you feel.

Paul Sousa
12-16-2010, 03:21 PM
DOMS sucks.

Paul Sousa
12-18-2010, 12:18 PM
12/18/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Accumulation Phase - Day 3

Press - 100x10x4/100x12

DL - 225x10x4/225x15

Superset x 2:
Chins - Max reps (6/5)
Stepups - 50x10 (5 each leg)

I had to cut some stuff I had planned today as I had limited time (wife's family's Christmas party today), so another high volume session in short time. Finished all my pressing in 10 minutes and that made the final set much harder than expected. DL's were surprisingly not too bad. The with only 5 minutes left I modified my accessory work into a superset and did that twice. One thing though, my grip is completely spent.

StLRPh
12-18-2010, 02:41 PM
Definitely a volume block, great job getting all that done so quickly

Paul Sousa
12-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Definitely a volume block, great job getting all that done so quickly

Thanks Matt! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't happy this week is over. I haven't done any volume like this in a long time,

Paul Sousa
12-20-2010, 11:31 AM
12/20/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Intensification Phase - Day 1

Bench - 145x5/165x5/180x10x3

DB Incline Bench - 45x15x3

DB Row - 85x10x3

Had to get this session in during lunch today because of all the holiday madness. Doing a shopping blitz tonight to get all the presents, then doing my normal Thursday session tomorrow, and my Saturday session on Thursday since the gym is closed Friday and Saturday. With the time crunch I think I was a couple rep shorts on the last bench set, if I was able to take a few minutes between sets like normal I am sure I could ahve hit 12 reps. I'll be interested to see how next Monday goes since I will have no time constraints and also only one 10(+) rep set.

Accessory work was easier this week with the slight decrease in bench volume. Still keeping it on the low end for volume as I adapt to the program.

Can't wait for the holidays to end so I can get back to a strciter routine.

StLRPh
12-20-2010, 11:35 AM
good luck with the shortened week, looks like you still got a lot done. Excellent accessory choices as well

Paul Sousa
12-20-2010, 11:45 AM
good luck with the shortened week, looks like you still got a lot done. Excellent accessory choices as well

Yeah, those were my two favorites for bench when I ran 5/3/1 and made good gains. I figure I'll ride them til the wheels fall off.

Paul Sousa
12-21-2010, 04:19 PM
12/21/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Intensification Phase - Day 2

Jumps - 28"x3x5

Squats - 150x5/170x5/185x10x2/185x15

Good Mornings - 115x10x3

Iso Side Holds - 2x3x10sec

Good session tonight. Felt good going into it. I'm liking the jumps a lot, they get me ready for squats and I miss doing them (I used to do a lot of jump work back in the day). Squats felt great and the max rep set was really good. Left a couple in the tank as advised in the e-book. Good mornings were the best they've ever felt. I realized I haven't been staying as tight as I should during them, so I fixed that and they were real strong afterwards. Iso holds were good, nothing exciting.

Paul Sousa
12-23-2010, 12:31 PM
12/23/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Intensification Phase - Day 3

Press - 90x5/100x5/110x10x2/110x13

DL - 205x5/235x5/250x10x2/250x18

Bradford Press - 95x10x3

BB Stepups - 95x10x3

Chins - 7/6

Had a half day at work today so I got to the gym about 1. I love working out around this time. Everything felt good. Left a couple reps in the tank on press and DL. I added Bradford presses as my press accessory, I really liked them when I was running 5/3/1. I went with a BB for step ups this time and they were much better. Did a couple sets of chins and then called it a day.

Cmanuel
12-24-2010, 04:28 PM
Look at whos journal I found

How is your first cycle of juggernaut treating you? I am actually rerunning the accumulation phase from 10rep wave right now...messed my back up and want to pick up where i left out with DLs next week.

I have a PL meet exactly the week after I finish a 16wk cycle...it will be interesting to see how much my numbers have improved from my last meet on Dec 5

Paul Sousa
12-27-2010, 03:22 PM
12/27/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Realization Phase - Day 1

Bench - 135x5/165x3/185x1/195x12

Incline Bench - 135x10x3

BB Row - 185x10x3

Well, we had a blizzard in MA yesterday and pretty much everything shut down today. As a result I ended up needing to go to my mom's barn to lift today. The barn is not heated or insulated and I never really got warm. I also was alone so no spot for my max rep set. And I also had just shoveled out my two trucks about an hour before. So now that I have all my excuses out I can say I think I would have done much better on my max set had I been at th gym on a normal day with a spotter. I also changed up my accessory work based on a lack of dumbbells. Oh well, I will up my training max accordingly for my next wave. Tomorrow is squat day and I can't wait.

Paul Sousa
12-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Look at whos journal I found

How is your first cycle of juggernaut treating you? I am actually rerunning the accumulation phase from 10rep wave right now...messed my back up and want to pick up where i left out with DLs next week.

I have a PL meet exactly the week after I finish a 16wk cycle...it will be interesting to see how much my numbers have improved from my last meet on Dec 5

So far so good, but I don't think I'll have a clear picture of it's success until at least the end of the 5's Wave. My 10's Realization for bench was a bit of a let down, but I also think it had to do a bit with the conditions I had to train in today.

I've been keeping an eye on your journal, can't wait to see how you progress with this.

StLRPh
12-28-2010, 11:40 AM
great work Paul. It'll be interesting to see the changes b/t this cycle and the last

Paul Sousa
12-29-2010, 04:15 PM
12/29/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Realization Phase - Day 2

Jumps - 36"x2x4

Squats - 135x5/165x3/190x1/205x20

Iso Side Holds - 2x3x10secs

Very happy with today, I went in with a target of 18 reps and hit 20, and I left one or two on the shelf. My legs actually weren't tired, it was my lower back starting to have trouble keeping my back angle. As a result I also skipped Good Mornings since I need to do my DL session tomorrow (going away this weekend) and didn't want to fry ny lower back today. So a nice 50 lb. jump on my training max for the next wave. :)

Paul Sousa
12-29-2010, 04:16 PM
great work Paul. It'll be interesting to see the changes b/t this cycle and the last

Thanks Matt! So far it's somewhat as expected. My bench max was spot on so I am not too surprised with the outcome of Monday's session, and I knew my squat was very conservative so I'm also not too surprised about today's results.

Paul Sousa
12-30-2010, 04:52 PM
12/29/10:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Realization Phase - Day 3

Press - 80x5/100x3/115x1/120x14

DL - 185x5/225x3/260x1/280x18

I was not feeling like training today. My training schedule during this wave has not been ideal, and this week was the worst (and of course it's the Realization phase). I had to squat yesterday, then I had an indoor soccer game last night at 10:30 and we ended up not having any subs so I played the full game which I haven't done in a long time. I was wrecked after that, Then I didn't get to bed until after midnight since I need to unwind after playing. All day today my back and hips were really tight and sore. Got to the gym and started pressing. I felt like I couldn't get tight enough in my low back and never felt really strong, The max rep set was a rep shy of my goal. Needless to say I wasn't expecting much out of my deadlifts. But as I started warming up I actually started feeling better. By the time the max rep set came I felt pretty good and I ended up hitting the number I was aiming for. My back actually feels a lot better now after this session which is a relief as I was expecting it to get worse and feel awful this whole weekend.

StLRPh
12-30-2010, 07:04 PM
that's a **** ton of reps on deadlift, great job under any circumstances.

Paul Sousa
12-30-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks Matt. I scrapped accessory work as well today. I am not expecting this weekend to be very restful, it's a winter retreat with the youth group from my church. I've never looked forward to a deload week as much as I am right now. My nephew is also going to start training with me next week so I'll spend plenty of time on his lifts and do the bare minimum myself.

Paul Sousa
01-03-2011, 06:19 PM
1/3/11:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Deload Phase - Day 1

Me:
Bench - 115x5/135x5/165x5

DB Incline Bench - 45x10x3

DB Row - 70x10x2

Dimetrios
Bench - 45x5x2/45x17

Squat - 45x5x2/45x17

BB Curls - 35x15x2

BB Shrugs - 95x10x2/95x15

First session of 2011! My nephew Dimetrios is going to be training with me now so I am going to add his progress here as well. He's 14 and after going to the MA Strongman Championship with me in September, and then watching me compete at the Paxton Strongman last month he has set a goal to compete once he is 17. I've told him if he commits himself and trains hard that by 17 he will definitely be strong enough.

As for the session itself, I was very happy it is a deload week. I got to work late and didn't have breakfast. I got an early lunch at 11:30 and planned on getting a second lunch around 1:30 (my cafeteria closes at 2). That plan fell through when I ended up needing to give my wife my debit card when we swapped trucks at noon. I had to work til 6 so by the time I got to the gym I had a bit of a headache and was not energetic. I kept it quick though and everything was as it should have been for a deload.

Metri did well too. I am having him do John Schaeffer's linear progression program. I am starting him with just the bar for bench and squat and am going to base the initial jumps of of his max rep sets. Based on tonight I am going to increase the bench 5 lbs. and the squat 10 lbs. I'm also having him bench only for a week or two until I think he can get at least 8 reps on the press. His form was pretty good (he trained with me a bit in the summer so he is familiar with the lifts) and I need to make sure I focus on only correcting one or two bigger issues at a time. It was fun to have him there though.

Paul Sousa
01-06-2011, 05:38 PM
1/6/11:

Juggernaut Method - 10's Wave - Deload Phase - Day 2

Me:
Squat - 115x5/135x5/165x5

Dimetrios:
Bench - 50x5x2/50x18

DL - 89x11

BB Row - 45x10x3

Only did squats tonight, something has felt tweaked in my lower right back/hip/leg all week and figured I'd just do the squats as planned and then some stretching.

Metri did well tonight, bench looked good and he can definitely jump up some, but I'll keep it at 5 lb. increments for the time being. Never knew my gym had technique plates until tonight, but they were great to help him get his deadlift form down. Had a bit of trouble on the descent and was hitting his knees with the bar at first. A bit of work and that was fixed. Going to work on getting him reset before each pull next (lets the bar get a couple inches out after lowering it). Tried to work on chinups as he says he's been doing them at home, but when he tried to do one from a dead hang he said it hurt his elbow. Decided to go with some BB rows for now and we'll get back to chins soon enough.

StLRPh
01-06-2011, 07:18 PM
very cool that your nephew is training with you. I'm sure you two'll have a lot good times

Paul Sousa
01-10-2011, 05:07 PM
1/10/11:

Juggernaut Method - 8's Wave - Accumulation Phase - Day 1

Me:

Bench - 175x8x4/175x12

DB Incline Bench - 60x10x5

DB Row - 90x10x3

BB Curl - 75x15x2

Dimetrios:

N/A

I had a bad cold all this weekend and wasn't too energetic today, but knew I had no excuse not to go try and get a session in. Ended up being a great session all around. Bench felt good, incline DB felt light (went with a different set/rep scheme), DB rows were tough but awesome, and finished it off with the curls.

Metri was home throwing up so no gym for him today. I'll see how he's feeling tomorrow.

StLRPh
01-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Nice work Paul

Paul Sousa
01-10-2011, 06:07 PM
Thanks Matt! After this week I should be 100% healthy and able to keep a normal schedule. Going to push it hard the rest of the way.

Paul Sousa
01-11-2011, 07:43 PM
1/11/11:

Juggernaut Method - 8's Wave - Accumulation Phase - Day 2

Me:

Jumps - 30"x3x6

Squats - 210x8x4/210x9

Good Mornings - 135x8x3

Dimetrios:

N/A (still sick)

Tonight was not fun. Still not totally over this cold and I could tell from the first set of jumps that I was lacking some power. Moved onto squats and warmups were ok. Then the first work set and it was slow. I didn't feel at all explosive. I was also feeling a bit winded after just 8 reps. I hate this cold. The rest of the sets were the same, slow and not powerful. For the last set I was aiming for a minimum of 10, but at the top of the 9th rep I felt this weird pinch feeling just to the right of my spine and it made me nervous so I stopped. I am confident I had at least 10, but probably 12 reps in me. Turned out the pinch feeling must not have been anything as I then did some good mornings with no ill effect. I did a bit more weight and a couple fewer reps per set this time. I stopped after 3 sets as I was honestly just mentally checked out at that point. So now I am home with a big glass of milk and a funfetti cupcake.

StLRPh
01-12-2011, 06:09 AM
nice work Paul

Cmanuel
01-12-2011, 07:18 AM
Im about to start the 8s wave myself and im kinda scared...this high rep stuff is irritating...DOMs like a MFer

Paul Sousa
01-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Thanks Matt!

Chip - heading into the squat session I was definitely a bit nervous. I started really conservative on my squat with the 10's wave and made a big jump going into this wave. The DOMS hasn't been as bad though since the first week of 10's, that was brutal. Oh, and I've been meaning to mention this - someone on the EFS QA asked Chad about dropping the 10's wave to focus more on strength and Chad wasn't opposed to the idea but said he would drop the 8's instead if he were to do it. Didn't give much explanation as to why, but thought you may be interested.

Cmanuel
01-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Thanks Matt!

Chip - heading into the squat session I was definitely a bit nervous. I started really conservative on my squat with the 10's wave and made a big jump going into this wave. The DOMS hasn't been as bad though since the first week of 10's, that was brutal. Oh, and I've been meaning to mention this - someone on the EFS QA asked Chad about dropping the 10's wave to focus more on strength and Chad wasn't opposed to the idea but said he would drop the 8's instead if he were to do it. Didn't give much explanation as to why, but thought you may be interested.

Probably thinking the added volume of the 10s wave will help build a better foundation...

Personally I would drop the 10s and run extra sets on the 8s wave, like 6x8 or something crazy during accumulation

How are you liking jugg method so far

Paul Sousa
01-12-2011, 04:18 PM
Probably thinking the added volume of the 10s wave will help build a better foundation...

Personally I would drop the 10s and run extra sets on the 8s wave, like 6x8 or something crazy during accumulation

How are you liking jugg method so far

So far so good, but the 10's Wave was hard to judge since I started so conservatively on squat and DL, plus I had to condense my Intensification and Realization week days much too close together. However based on what I've hit so far this week I seem on pace for some good results looking at what's ahead on the spreadsheet.

How about you?

Paul Sousa
01-13-2011, 07:59 PM
1/13/10:

Juggernaut Method - 8's Wave - Accumulation Phase - Day 3

Me:

Press - 115x8x4/115x13

DL - 270x8x4/270x14

Dips - 10x3

Chins - 6/5

Step-ups - 135x8x2

Dimetrios:

Bench - 55x5x2/55x13

Squat - 55x5x2/55x7

BB Shrugs - 95x10x4

A bunch of curls

Finally feeling better! Felt good going in there tonight and knew I'd get some good numbers. I promised Gamedog I'd hit 12 on my DL max rep set, but once I got to 12 I knew I had a couple more before it was time to stop. Even with 14 I was a couple reps shy of failure. Press felt strong too which it hadn't in a little bit. I wanted to try weighted dips for an accessory, but when I went to use the weighted belt I saw it had ripped and been tied back together. I tried getting it up my legs to my waist and it couldn't even get to my hips. I have no idea who in the gym can actually use the thing. So I did bodyweight dips and did a not overly tough three sets of 10. I finished with step-ups and decided to use more weight as last time they weren't too heavy. The problem is I have to clean the bar and then get it overhead and into position. That was no problem, but at the end of my set I was too spent to get it back to the front. I ended up walking sideways into a power rack, stepping over the safety bar on one side, and racked it. For the second set I just walked it out of the power rack, did the reps and walked it back in. I decided it was too much effort to warrant a third set.

Metri had a tough night. I think having been throwing up Monday and Tuesday, then having to shovel out over a foot of snow yesterday (which made him throw up again), took a toll on him and he didn't have a ton of energy or focus tonight.

StLRPh
01-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Your partner did a great job gutting it out, very impressive.

and good job for you to :hello:

Paul Sousa
01-17-2011, 05:59 PM
1/17/11:

Juggernaut Method - 8's Wave - Intensification Phase - Day 1

Me:

Bench - 160x3/180x3/195x8x2/195x12

DB Incline Bench - 65x10x5

Kroc Rows - 115x15(R)/115x12(L)

BB Curls - 85x10x2

Dimetrios:

Press - 45x5x2/45x7

Squat - 60x5x2/60x13

Chins - 6/4/5

Good night tonight, feeling much better now. Bench went well, 12 reps was probably 1 rep shy of my max. I am surprised by the weight I'm able to do with the incline DB's, I wasn't close to failure on the last rep of the last set, can definitely go with 70 next week. I gave Kroc rows a shot as I haven't done them in a while and someone in another log I follow has been working on them. It was a pretty sad attempt. I'm going to stick with regular DB rows going forward. Also went a bit too high with the weight for curls. I'd like to be in the 12-15 rep range without too much cheating, I'll back it down next week.

Metri had a great night. Worked on his press technique a bit and he got 7 good reps on the last set. Going to microload him on this going forward. His squat was much better than last session. He got out 13 solid reps, the last two he had to work for. He has a decent base for chins as he has a bar at home that he's been using for a while. My goal there is to keep his reps at least steady as he puts on some weight.

Paul Sousa
01-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Your partner did a great job gutting it out, very impressive.

and good job for you to :hello:

Thanks Matt, Metri was definitely out of it that night but he still showed up and did some work.

Paul Sousa
01-21-2011, 08:21 AM
1/20/11:

Juggernaut Method - 8's Wave - Intensification Phase - Day 2

Me:

Jumps - 36"x3x5

Squat - 190x3/220x3/235x8x2/235x10

GM - 135x10x2

DB Curls - 35x15x2

Dimetrios:

Bench - 60x5x2/60x11

DL - 94x18

BB Shrugs - 105x10x4

DB Curls - 15x15/15x12

Blah, another less than optimal session. My oldest nephew went into the ER and ended up needing an appendectomy so I went to the hospital around midnight and was there until about 4am. Woke up at 10am and rushed to the office and didn't get to eat until 1:30, and that was the only thing I ate before lifting. Jumps weren't too bad, but squats were a grind. I ended up only doing two sets of GM's as something felt tweaked in my right hip (I hate my right hip). After that I decided to skip ab work and just did some DB curls with Metri.

As for Metri. he had a great session. His bench is looking better technique wise, and I think one more 5lb. jump is in order. He killed the DL and I think I might jump him 10lbs. next session. I also increased the weight on shrugs and didn't tell him, and he had no problem getting 10 reps for all sets. He was pretty pumped about his work tonight.

StLRPh
01-21-2011, 09:49 AM
are you using bumpers for Metri?

Paul Sousa
01-21-2011, 10:56 AM
are you using bumpers for Metri?

Yeah, my gym has a pair of 10kg bumpers. They also have a pair of 5lb. technique plates that I have him warm up with. They don't have a ton of bumpers, but what they do have is good for beginners that need less than 135lbs.

Last night he had the 10kg bumpers and a pair of 2.5lb. plates.

KoSh
01-24-2011, 01:43 PM
I just bought the ebook... It's between this and a WS4SB variation for my next program. Haven't read the whole thing yet but it looks extremely promising. I'll probably be checking in here more often if I go the Jugg route :)

Paul Sousa
01-24-2011, 02:31 PM
I just bought the ebook... It's between this and a WS4SB variation for my next program. Haven't read the whole thing yet but it looks extremely promising. I'll probably be checking in here more often if I go the Jugg route :)

Sorry to tell you, but I am actually jumping ship. I think it's a good program, but right now it isn't right for me. I started training my nephew and with the two of us doing different programs it has made my session too long and disjointed. For me, I would only do this program again if I could do it on the 4 day per week template, and if I had better control of my recovery (my 11 month old still isn't sleeping through the night, plus the duties of a husband and father means my training schedule could change at a moments notice). It is more demanding recovery wise than 5/3/1 in my opinion and trying to combine two of the main lifts into my Saturday sessions made for very long days those days. I do want to give it another go in the future though.

KoSh
01-24-2011, 05:09 PM
I would be giving it a go with a 4-day split if I went that route.