PDA

View Full Version : Need help getting a 650 Bench

kingkong51
12-14-2010, 09:44 AM
I realized last night a realized that I need some adivce on breaking the 650 mark. I am going to take this next week and recover but I need help developing a laid out plan that will finally get me past this barrier.

kingns
12-14-2010, 09:05 PM
well since my best raw bench is 365 its sorta retarted for me to give advice, but if you pick a couple exercises that you arent good at, like floor press or 2 board press, and do them as your second movement for a month, and switch to another one you suck at for a month, and try to really improve on them (I'd do sets of 5 on them), while still doing speed work and rotating max effort stuff your bench should go up. THats what I'd do, maybe I should be getting advice from you though!!

kingkong51
12-14-2010, 09:23 PM
You know thank your for responding because we all have weakness no matter the level you are at and that is also a great Idea too.

BoAnderson71
12-14-2010, 09:46 PM
from watching your videos it looks like you do a westside template or conjugate method....? If you do that, then maybe try to switch things up and set up an 8-12 week training cycle ending with you benching 650, then work back from their. Just some good old fashioned peaking. Look at ed coans bench program too. I know his 12 week program starts out with 10 reps for weeks 1-2, 8 reps weeks 3-4, 5 reps weeks 5-8, and then triples and doubles weeks 9-12. he always does two working sets. then he follows it up with narrow grip bench with 60 less pounds used in the bench press working sets, and then incline with 50 pounds less than what was used that day for the bench work sets. then he does shoulders and triceps on a day later in the week. Im pretty sure thats it but I might of forgotten something so you might want to google search it.

MarkHennessey
12-15-2010, 08:31 AM
One of the lessons I've learned is to focus on other parts of my body that contribute greatly to a successful bench. Currently, I'm pressing 525x2 reps RAW, and my bench is in the lower-mid 700 range. I'm 50 years old and have been around long enough to know what works for me. Maybe this will help you, too.

Since you're an advanced lifter, I assume that your technique is on-par to handle this weight. Some suggestions I have are:

1. On back days, focus on heavy rows and exercises that develop your back stabilizer muscles. Typically, I will do 10-12 sets consisting of DB rows, bar rows, hammer rows, etc. This will greatly help you handle the weight as you lower it to your chest.

2. On tricep days, we kill our triceps to make sure our lock-out strength doesn't quit on us. Our tri-workout consists of 6 sets of heavy close grip bench with 3 boards. My pinky finger is on the knarl of the bar. Don't go to narrow as this will stress your wrists and joints. We'll do 405x10-15 reps, 455x8-10 reps, 505x4-5 reps, 525x2 reps, and then a 405 set to failure. Adjust the weight to your level, but really beat them up.

3. On bench day, we'll do 4-5 sets ranging from 3-5 reps down to 1-2 boards. Usually, the weight is withing 80-90% of my max. After a 3 weeks of this, then I deload for a week and give my joints a rest. Then, its 4-5 sets ranging from 1-2 reps per set where the weight is 90-95% of my max using 1-2 boards. Continue to work it down to 1/2 board and full range. You've got to do full range prior to any meet.

4. Don't forget about your shoulders. DB Military but no lower than your ears. Get plenty of rear delt work in too.

Last thing, mentally ~ instead of "pressing the weight up", think of "pushing yourself down or away from the weight". It's a technique that was passed onto me and can make a big difference in your setup and results.

Hope this helps,
Mark Hennessey

AdamBAG
12-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Robert, I've read some of your training journal, but not all of it.

It doesn't seem to me that you do enough volume work for your upper back. I think at least 4-5 sets of 10 twice a week, whether rows, chins etc. would help you. Your pressing is obviously very strong, but upper back work is the one thing that appears to be lacking in your training.

I hope that helps!

bencher8
12-15-2010, 08:39 AM
well, one thing that might help your bench go up is to stop squatting 1000 freakin pounds every week lol

Rob, your bench is strong with what you are doing now. Its just that you are going heavy all the time. Seems like every week I see a vid of you squatting 1000 pounds or benching over 600 on some exercise. What you are doin works...

chris mason
12-15-2010, 09:07 AM
I think your training form is one problem. You use way too much bounce when pressing and sooner or later that will catch up to you. It certainly can't helped your paused pressing greatly. If you watch Travis Bell press it is always under great control. Aspire to something closer to that.

You do WAYYYYY too much heavy work. Too many heavy sets and exercises for a raw lifter in my opinion. I have seen you do set after set of flat bench work and then move to high 500s on the incline. An ME day should consist of working up to a heavy single on one exercise maybe followed by a lighter set or two for say 10 reps. You then move to something like dumbbell pressing for 20+ reps for a couple of sets and then triceps work. That's it. I bet if you did this alone your bench would jump up.

I think what has gotten you to where you are is incredible heredity for size and strength. If you want to go to the next level you have to improve your training in all respects.

What do you do for triceps?

kingkong51
12-15-2010, 09:25 AM
I think your training form is one problem. You use way too much bounce when pressing and sooner or later that will catch up to you. It certainly can't helped your paused pressing greatly. If you watch Travis Bell press it is always under great control. Aspire to something closer to that.

You do WAYYYYY too much heavy work. Too many heavy sets and exercises for a raw lifter in my opinion. I have seen you do set after set of flat bench work and then move to high 500s on the incline. An ME day should consist of working up to a heavy single on one exercise maybe followed by a lighter set or two for say 10 reps. You then move to something like dumbbell pressing for 20+ reps for a couple of sets and then triceps work. That's it. I bet if you did this alone your bench would jump up.

I think what has gotten you to where you are is incredible heredity for size and strength. If you want to go to the next level you have to improve your training in all respects.

What do you do for triceps?
Tate Press, Jm Press, Skull Crushers,Pushdowns, DB Rollbacks.

kingkong51
12-15-2010, 09:28 AM
well, one thing that might help your bench go up is to stop squatting 1000 freakin pounds every week lol

Rob, your bench is strong with what you are doing now. Its just that you are going heavy all the time. Seems like every week I see a vid of you squatting 1000 pounds or benching over 600 on some exercise. What you are doin works...

I know coming off a big squat day it probably is a sure thing my bench is going to suffer.

kingkong51
12-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Robert, I've read some of your training journal, but not all of it.

It doesn't seem to me that you do enough volume work for your upper back. I think at least 4-5 sets of 10 twice a week, whether rows, chins etc. would help you. Your pressing is obviously very strong, but upper back work is the one thing that appears to be lacking in your training.

I hope that helps!

I have started to kick in more back training into my routine. Pulldowns, bent over rows, seat rows. For shoulders I dont hit alot over of head but I am going to incoporate them back into my training.

Lones Green
12-15-2010, 09:34 AM
I have started to kick in more back training into my routine. Pulldowns, bent over rows, seat rows. For shoulders I dont hit alot over of head but I am going to incoporate them back into my training.

I bet this will help your deadlift as well

BloodandThunder
12-15-2010, 01:23 PM
chris had some ideas about paused work, I did recall seeing a nice pause on your 600 though a while back. I'm sure Vinny or Travis could give you some good ideas since they're pushing bigger weights raw as well.

What do you do about recovery for the upper body? Any extra workouts, rehab work or sled work? I'm sure with the added stress of all the squatting, your body must be a train wreck sometimes.

jmccown
12-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Rob, I consider myself a pretty good bencher. 530x1 and 500x2 currently at 251 bodyweight. For over a year I became stagnant on my bench and could not get past a certain number no matter what I done on my bench variation or tricep work. The one thing that made my bench skyrocket was focusing heavy on my deadlifts and lots of lat work and shoulder work. I have gained 80 pounds on my bench this year and I attribute that to making my upper back, lats and shoulders stronger. I had to make myself do deadlifts every week and did not like it for a long time but now it is my favorite lift and has made me stronger as a result. Like Chris said look at Travis Bell's technique he has textbook form and is very controlled. My coach has taught me to train like I compete because I done the bounce and touch-n-go for a long time. But work on your deadlifts and making your upper back stronger and you'll get stronger in your bench. Guarantee!