PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Smolov?

StLRPh
12-14-2010, 04:30 PM
The title pretty much sums it up. Anyone with experience, insight, and/or comments let me know your thoughts.

If you're not familiar this is the basic layout.

Week # 1 (%1RM x reps x sets)
Monday 65%x3, 75%x4, 85%x4x3, 85%x5
Wednesday 60%x3, 70%x3, 80%x4, 90%x3, 85%x5x2
Saturday 65%x4, 70%x4, 80%x4x5
Week # 2
Monday 60%x4, 70%x4, 80%x4, 90%x3, 90%x4x2
Wednesday 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3, 90%x3x3, 95%x3
Saturday 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x4, 90%x5x4
Week # 3
Monday 60%x3, 70%x3, 80%x3, 90%x5x5
Wednesday 60%x3, 70%x3, 80%x3, 95%x3x2
Saturday 65%x3, 75%x3, 85%x3, 95%x3x4
Week # 4
Monday 70%x3, 80%x4, 90%x5x5
Wednesday 70%x3, 80%x3, 95%x3x4
Saturday 75%x3, 90%x4, 95%x4x3

Thanks in advance,

H_M
12-14-2010, 05:06 PM
i did it 3 or 4 years ago. it killed my elbows and was the cause of my elbow tendonitis. it put 50lbs on to my raw squat though

mchicia1
12-14-2010, 06:56 PM
From what I hear, you can make gains very quickly but its a risky routine. I know for a fact my back wouldn't survive it.

gmen5681
12-14-2010, 07:05 PM
know a local guy that does it, and he is record holder in one of the feds at a 198. he sent me a spreadsheet that makes the whole thing a bit easier. its way to complicated for me tho. also heard that if you are going to use it to only focus on either bench or squat not both, because if you do both it will wear you out before half way through the cycle. let me know if you want the spreadsheet, PM me your email and ill send it your way.

StLRPh
12-14-2010, 07:55 PM
thanks guys, I've got a spreadsheet for it but I appreciate the offer. I'm sure you're all correct in stating the volume is crazy. One of my main concerns is that you can't really do much for the other lifts.

MPB
12-15-2010, 07:13 AM
I've done it before and didn't see much improve in my squat. Partly it was my fault because I've done a different Russian squat program about half a year before trying out Smolov. So that turned out to be a bad idea. I can tolerate a lot of volume for squats (but not deadlift) so if you're the same, it might work out well for you. Your bench and other lifts will probably suffer a little when running the program.

BloodandThunder
12-15-2010, 09:04 AM
Does it work? Yes....Is it optimal long term? No
Smolov was designed for Olympic lifters coming off a taper who needed more squatting volume to improved leg drive in the classic pulls. Many times, they would do it with front squats. They also trained very little assistance around it. Many lifters think it is the holy grail of routines and they an run it forever, which is not exactly true. Smolov might put 25 lbs on your PR in 4 weeks. But if you programmed better and attacked weaknesses in leverage and form, that 25 lbs would still come, just maybe not as fast. I've seen lifters do the cycle, hit the PR, and they still squat like garbage.

It's very hard also to improve your bench and deadlift on this cycle. Powerlifting is all about the total, so that's something to take into account. Many lifters don't understand that the squat PR obtained through this cycle is a short term thing. After running Smolov, Oly lifters would go back to classic pulls, so the squat PR would take a hit, but the increased leg drive was still there. Also, running Smolov will bury you if you have any type of injury or glaring weakness (like say rounding your back in the hole of the squat). If you plan to cut weight running it, think twice as well.

So I would run it if: you are doing a squat only meet in 4-5 weeks, healthy, squat form immaculate, plan to gain a little weight, and not used to high volume squatting. Other than that, program better and plan long term, it pays off.

StLRPh
12-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Smolov was designed for Olympic lifters coming off a taper who needed more squatting volume to improved leg drive in the classic pulls. Many times, they would do it with front squats. They also trained very little assistance around it. Many lifters think it is the holy grail of routines and they an run it forever, which is not exactly true. Smolov might put 25 lbs on your PR in 4 weeks. But if you programmed better and attacked weaknesses in leverage and form, that 25 lbs would still come, just maybe not as fast. I've seen lifters do the cycle, hit the PR, and they still squat like garbage.

It's very hard also to improve your bench and deadlift on this cycle. Powerlifting is all about the total, so that's something to take into account. Many lifters don't understand that the squat PR obtained through this cycle is a short term thing. After running Smolov, Oly lifters would go back to classic pulls, so the squat PR would take a hit, but the increased leg drive was still there. Also, running Smolov will bury you if you have any type of injury or glaring weakness (like say rounding your back in the hole of the squat). If you plan to cut weight running it, think twice as well.

So I would run it if: you are doing a squat only meet in 4-5 weeks, healthy, squat form immaculate, plan to gain a little weight, and not used to high volume squatting. Other than that, program better and plan long term, it pays off.

Excellent post, thanks

SELK
12-15-2010, 02:37 PM
I think smolov works very well for adding numbers to a squat, the problem is that since the volume and intensity is so high it destroys you. Ive ran it 3 or 4 times and each time ive put 30+lbs on my squat. The first time I messed up my glute, second time I slightly tore my quad and third time I ended up with very bad tendonitis in my knee which still bothers me.

Also, once the program is over you can expect to detrain and lose some of the new gains.

I would use it very far out from a meet, if you are a weak squatter and are not using a ton of weight in the first place.

Behemoth
12-15-2010, 03:43 PM

This is excellent advice. I agree that the big numbers it produces are relatively short lived.

BloodandThunder
12-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Also, OP that is the "intense" macrocycle of Smolov, which is done after the base intro and switching period. If you want to run Smolov, run the base Intro period then test on the 5th week.

UncleAl
12-15-2010, 04:02 PM
The four-week routine you listed is only part of the program. The full program is nine weeks. I don't know how anyone gets through the entire thing without their back caving in, but those that have brag about making some pretty big numbers as a result.

StLRPh
12-15-2010, 04:02 PM
I've decided to continue to work on all the lifts with 5/3/1. Thanks everyone for all the info.

UncleAl
12-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Is the four-week routine a modification of the original? The one I've seen is nine weeks.

StLRPh
12-19-2010, 10:51 AM
I just posted the base cycle. It doesn't include the intro micro-cycle (2 wks), the switching phase (2 wks), the intense cycle (4wks) or the taper (1 wk).

This is what I was reading originally:
http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/80/