PDA

View Full Version : How much calorie excess should i make daily to gain weight and muscle?

Agrippa r
12-15-2010, 06:17 AM
Im on a 3500 kcal diet and my stomach has started to pop out. So for the past 3 days i've stopped trying to gain weight. Im underweight and my bmi is just 17. My training routine includes overhead press squat barbell rows and deadlift. My mantainance is around 2000 kcals. How much kcal excess should i make so that my waist doesn't pop out. Pardon my bad english. Thanks

WaNNaB3Bigg3r
12-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Are they 3500 clean kcals? Or have you been eating rubbish?

Dan Fanelli
12-15-2010, 08:44 AM
http://www.wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/to-bulk-or-to-cut-that-is-the-question-or-is-it/

^^^ Really this article should be essential reading. While I think its the right method and idea to achieve the body you want, I dont think you should jump right into a diet setup with your END GOAL numbers. You'll eventually need to be eating about those amounts, but you should break down your goals into smaller more manageable ones, and this will limit fat gain as well.

Your body can only gain muscle so fast, so if you truly do eat enough to gain weight very rapidly, then a lot of it will be fat.

Read that article I linked a few times (It looks like you may have already done so). But basically break your weight gain goal down into smaller goals. So if you are currently around 105 (not sure about this) and your goal is 180, dont just jump into a diet for a 180lb'er. Maybe start with a diet for a 120lb'er and do that until you get close to plateuing in wieght. Then up it to 140, and repeat.

It takes time to get stronger, and gain muscle, but by continuinig forward gradually you'll progress.

The other thing you are going to have to accept, is that sometimes you aren't going to be able to gain weight (especially a significant amount) and stay lean. You may have to to avoid looking in the mirror for a while and just watch the scale move up.

Also, people talk about eating "clean" and this usually isn't an issue. For the most part all that matters is the total calories and that you are getting enough protein. Just use some common sense and you'll be fine. A hamburger and french fries isn't going to be "dirty" and make you fat as long as it fits into your daily macros.

Other than that, I dont know how much you are working out, but 4-5x per week would be a good idea.

tom183
12-15-2010, 04:33 PM
If your maintenance truly is 2000. I would start with ~2300 for a week or two and then re-assess.

Holto
12-15-2010, 09:39 PM
If your maintenance truly is 2000. I would start with ~2300 for a week or two and then re-assess.

& upon reassesment if you are not gaining much increment by 200-300 and run that for a few more weeks.

Eventually you'll lock it in. What sucks is overbulking and then spinning your wheels cutting...

Dan Fanelli
12-15-2010, 11:22 PM
& upon reassesment if you are not gaining much increment by 200-300 and run that for a few more weeks.

Eventually you'll lock it in. What sucks is overbulking and then spinning your wheels cutting...

It also sucks to spend weeks/months not eating enough to find that you aren't gaining muscle/weight and your strength gains suffer, because you were to scared you were going to gain too much fat.

Sure, "different strokes for different folks" , but if gaining weight is number one priority, then just do it, and dont worry about anything else.

Unless you are a competative bodybuilder or weight class athlete with a deadline for being in a certain shape, then it doesn't matter. Just gain the weight, and let your body composition fall into place later. Plenty of people (especially beginners) will gain 30-50+ lbs of weight in a year and not get overly fat. This will NEVER happen if they are aiming for 300kcal surpluses and worrying about fat gain.

They just get it done.

RichMcGuire
12-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Are they 3500 clean kcals? Or have you been eating rubbish?

Lol, what are clean Calories? :P

Holto
12-17-2010, 12:37 PM
It also sucks to spend weeks/months not eating enough to find that you aren't gaining muscle/weight and your strength gains suffer, because you were to scared you were going to gain too much fat.

For people that:

1) have a grasp of sports nutrition
2) know their maintenance calories

it's not possible to spend weeks and months not gaining weight.