PDA

View Full Version : 531 Stall, Time for reps?

Nate IRL
12-16-2010, 12:13 PM
Hey guys I have been doing 531 for almost a year now and Ive begun to stall, mainly on bench and squat.
Its gotten to the point where my 531 day comes around and I feel wiped out, everything feels too heavy and theres a lingering general weakness. I either get the exact reps or I fail, rarely being able to do extra on the last set.

I get the feeling I have to go back to a pyramid or some sort of layout that is light weight and high reps, at least for a month or two. My body has become completely routined into doing 5 or less reps.

My question is whether or not you guys switch from minimal reps to endurance training, and if so how may reps and sets do you usually do? I realize a year is a pretty long time to stick with one mindset of lifting.

I'm hesitant to decrease weight and rep sets just because Ive been doing wendler's for so long. I was thinking maybe doing a
15,12,10 or a 12,10,8 . something along those lines for a month or two just to build back rep strength, Im not sure what is the most productive scientifically.

Has anyone else had this problem with Wendlers? Any advice is greatly appreciated

ScottYard
12-16-2010, 12:31 PM
I would just reset your max and start over if you are barely getting the prescribed reps. Drop off 10% and get some.

kingkong51
12-16-2010, 12:50 PM
Have you been doing the deload weeks? Sometimes its time to take a week or two off and come back fresh.

AdamBAG
12-16-2010, 01:08 PM
Deload and start over with a lower training max. Do you have the book? This is addressed in the book.

mchicia1
12-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Nothing wrong with spicing things up by changing routines for a month or two. Try HCT-12 out...no percentages..just go in the gym and do whatever you feel for that given day. Do that for a couple months then you can go back to 5/3/1. I can see one year of 5/3/1 being really boring :). Another thing you can do is the 30 lbs/30 days bench routine. I am doing that now because 6 months of 5/3/1 got really boring, even though the gains were good. I will start up 5/3/1 again when I am finished with that program.

Brian Hopper
12-16-2010, 06:40 PM
I would just reset your max and start over if you are barely getting the prescribed reps. Drop off 10% and get some.

I'm going to recommend doing the same thing.