PDA

View Full Version : beginner form check request

andy2322
12-18-2010, 02:53 AM
I've been doing Rippetoes for a few weeks now. I thought it might be wise to figure out what the hell I'm doing at some point.

I basically watched a few 3 minute clips and went for it. I'm assuming my form is horrible. Please feel free to rip to shreds. Thanks!

onMS61dFjqU

mchicia1
12-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Good job going out of your comfort zone and trying a difficult movement. A couple of things I see:

Assuming you are attempting a rippetoe style squat...

1) The bar is too high on your back, pull your hands in closer together with a thumbless grip and try to see if you can put the bar a little bit lower.
2) Your initial movement is with your knees. You want to drive back and down with your hips first.

If you fix #1, #2 will be a lot easier to do.

StLRPh
12-18-2010, 09:04 AM
might want to add a little weight and get a video from the front as well. Knees looked solid

f=ma
12-18-2010, 09:09 AM
looks pretty good man. the bar does look kind of high but its hard to tell. gj!

andy2322
12-18-2010, 10:33 AM
Sincere thanks for the replies so far. I'll try to incorporate the suggestions into my next workout, make another vid and see if I've improved any. I'll make sure it's from a better angle as well.

Thanks again!

kjd2121
12-22-2010, 01:27 PM
When you are in the hole your hips/ass should start the drive upward. You are using your chest first.

thatNUCKOLSkid
12-27-2010, 10:36 PM
high bar/low bar is a personal preference. most PLers squat low bar, but there are olympic guys who squat high bar and still squat unreal amounts of weight. for guys with long legs and short torsos, squatting low bar can force them to almost bend over double in the hole.

overall your form looks solid. you need to work on your hamstring, glute, and hip flexor flexibility a bit. your butt "tucks" just a bit in the hole. it's not very pronounced for you, and probably wouldn't be a problem until you work up in weight a bit. just stretch a bit more and you'll be set.

i personally think they're a BIT high, but i'm a big fan of squatting deep, so that could just be my bias coming out. haha

for a first attempt, your form looks REALLY solid. congrats. squat away!

4g64fiero
12-28-2010, 07:02 AM
^^^I also think he is a bit high on a few of the squats.

Parallel is when the crease of the thigh is even with the top of the knee.

Good job none the less.