PDA

View Full Version : Hook Grip.....

bojackson
12-19-2010, 08:56 AM
Are the benfits from the hook grip that great? And is there any permanent damage you can do to your thumbs..??
Thanks for the help

Cmanuel
12-19-2010, 09:01 AM
I've just recently started using it for some of my DL sets. I've been told it takes about 4-6 weeks to get used to it. I've heard that yes, its superior to alternated, and i've heard advice that its superior. I figured I'd try it...what can it hurt?

here's a good article that explores pros/cons. http://www.gustrength.com/training:hook-grip-versus-alternated-grip-for-deadlifts

bojackson
12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
yea i tried it this morning on some light shrugs and there is definately some tug on that thumb joint. how you like it so far?

KarlMarx
12-19-2010, 10:09 AM
I use it pretty often. On everything below 90% of max. And thats just because I feel stronger with a mixed grip--the hook grip is strong enough for the loads. It does take time to get used to it, but I've pulled loads over 400lbs without problem. If you thumb joint is pulling out, perhaps you aren't using your fingers enough. You still have to grip the bar hard. On me, what hurt the most at first was just the 'meat' of the thumb from being smooshed.

Cmanuel
12-19-2010, 12:28 PM
yea i tried it this morning on some light shrugs and there is definately some tug on that thumb joint. how you like it so far?

I like it so far. the weights that I am doing are light because im in a volume phase right now, but so far so good. It really really hurts the meat of my thumb. But definitely feels like a secure grip.

I have a meet in march. If I can get used to hook grip by then and eliminate all of my DL dropping that I've been doing due to weak grip, I hope I can use the hook to get a 580 pull. I guess tiem will tell

vdizenzo
12-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I have experimented with it. I have a horrible time supinating. I completely ruptured one bicep and partially ruptured the other while deadlifting using an alternated grip. If you play with the hook it's not hard to get it to work for you. Yes, it hurts your thumb quite a bit at first. However, it gets better after time. Plus if you play with it a lot on shrugs and rows you'll figure out some nuances for yourself. If you just try it once you'll think it sucks and be done with it. You have to give it a chance.

NickAus
12-19-2010, 01:55 PM
I personally dont like it but I can hold anything I can move with a mixed grip anyway.

Having both hands straight like in hook grip or with straps is meant to make the pull feel smoother and cut the distance slighty so that sounds great.

Brian Hopper
12-19-2010, 07:13 PM
I haven't really pulled a regular heavy deadlift with it, but I have done a 515 SLDL with a hook grip. I did tear some skin on my thumbs, but I think that was from dropping the bar and not bringing it all the way down. I have been giving it some thought, so maybe I'll start messing around with it again.

Has anyone tried it with a sumo stance? I'm pulling sumo tomorrow at about 50% so I'm going to give it a shot.

vdizenzo
12-19-2010, 08:41 PM
Ias anyone tried it with a sumo stance? I'm pulling sumo tomorrow at about 50% so I'm going to give it a shot.

I hook gripped going sumo. I only worked in the 400's and it felt fine. However, I could not use the grip for reps.

When I feel like i have topped out with bench I am going to devote some time to full meet lifting. I'm curious how much I'll be able to pull with a hook. My best dl with the alternate grip was 675. The pull was easy enough, it ust happened to tear my bicep clear off.

Brian Hopper
12-19-2010, 08:46 PM
I hook gripped going sumo. I only worked in the 400's and it felt fine. However, I could not use the grip for reps.

When I feel like i have topped out with bench I am going to devote some time to full meet lifting. I'm curious how much I'll be able to pull with a hook. My best dl with the alternate grip was 675. The pull was easy enough, it ust happened to tear my bicep clear off.

I'm going to give it a shot tomorrow. That would be cool to see you do a full meet. All we need is Travis to go full power and get you, Travis and Joey Smith going at it in a RAW full power meet!!!!! Didn't you do 800lbs on a trap bar?