Bosshogg300
12-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Is 6-7 exerices to much volume for a variation of a westside split

Bosshogg300
12-20-2010, 09:49 AM
or should it be like 5 total

Dan Fanelli
12-20-2010, 10:02 AM
6-7 exercises for what? Is that everything or just accessory work?

Bosshogg300
12-20-2010, 10:06 AM
everything total

BloodandThunder
12-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Again, I don't train at Westside, but in the book of methods, Louie states to increase accessory work if you're bulking, and to keep it to a bare minimum when you're maintaining. Bare minimum being the minimum amount to accomplish goals of accessory work: supplement the main work and muscles, increase hypertrophy and work capacity.

Your ME and DE work comes first, then supplemental lifts, then accessories. If your ME day is 3 hours long and you're not getting into a shirt or helping out with 10 other people and loading weights, reconsider how much of your workout is necessary.

I'm sure Chris, Travis, or Vinny could answer better.

MarcusWild
12-20-2010, 11:00 AM
It depends what you count as an accessory. I'd keep it to 4-5 total exercises. That doesn't count sled or abs. I also don't count rehab, mobility, or recovery stuff as accessories though.

AdamBAG
12-20-2010, 11:36 AM
Totally depends on what the exercises are in my opinion.

If you are doing a bunch of rehab stuff etc. then you are likely fine.

If you feel like total crap and your performance is decreasing then it's too much. If you are getting stronger and feel good then keep doing what you are doing!

Bosshogg300
12-20-2010, 11:49 AM
i have just been reading and i have seen that a majoirty of people using the Periodization method i am using are doing lats shoulders on there bench days and i have been doing lats on my back days only and shoulders on my max effort bench day , and i am wondering if i should change it, plus this may be a stupid question why is it that it says to do high intensity low reps on dynamic days for triceps and higher volume low intensity on max days for triceps shouldnt it be the other way around, if any one could shine some light in on this for me id be very happy thanks

Bosshogg300
12-20-2010, 11:52 AM
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/periodization_bible__part_2.htm this is the link i have been reading from and formulating my workout from

AdamBAG
12-20-2010, 11:58 AM
i have just been reading and i have seen that a majoirty of people using the Periodization method i am using are doing lats shoulders on there bench days and i have been doing lats on my back days only and shoulders on my max effort bench day , and i am wondering if i should change it, plus this may be a stupid question why is it that it says to do high intensity low reps on dynamic days for triceps and higher volume low intensity on max days for triceps shouldnt it be the other way around, if any one could shine some light in on this for me id be very happy thanks

First, the thing to remember with the conjugate method is that there is no 100% correct template for every person. If what you are doing is working then why change it? Even the guys that train together at Westside aren't all doing the same assistance work.

As far as the triceps guideline that is Dave Tate's interpretation on what he thinks is best. I personally like the way Dave explains the template. Do your max effort lift followed by low intensity tricep work, like extensions. Do you dynamic work followed by a high intensity tricep exercise, like 4 or 5 board. I know that Vincent Dizenzo likes his board work on the max effort day. There is no right or wrong way...

Bosshogg300
12-20-2010, 12:05 PM
Ok thanks for the clarification adam much appreciated

mastermonster
12-20-2010, 02:18 PM
Totally depends on what the exercises are in my opinion.

If you are doing a bunch of rehab stuff etc. then you are likely fine.

If you feel like total crap and your performance is decreasing then it's too much. If you are getting stronger and feel good then keep doing what you are doing!

I've never tried a West Side program, but a agree with Adam. If it's your body making you wonder....listen to it. If not and you're making progress with what you're doing; stay with it. Some people recover better than others.

ScottYard
12-20-2010, 04:02 PM
Are you getting stronger. If so dont sweat it.

pricedtosell
12-20-2010, 04:48 PM
I think how strong you are plays a factor as well as how good your work capacity is. Weaker guys can generally incorporate a lot more volume into workouts than elite lifters can, just because of how low the numbers they are lifting are. It also matters if you're doing extra workouts/GPP training. If all you're doing is 4 workouts per week, you can have quite a bit more volume for someone that lifts 4 times per week but also drags a sled or runs hills 3 times a week too.

Brian Hopper
12-20-2010, 04:58 PM
Are you getting stronger. If so dont sweat it.

I agree with Scott...

But to answer your question, I like to do about 5 assistance exercises after my DE lifts and about 4 after my ME lifts. Sometimes this will change, I just base it off of feel.

NickAus
12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
I like boards on max effort bench day, high volume triceps extensions on speed bench day.

That just suited me better.

Dan Fanelli
12-20-2010, 06:38 PM
I agree with whoever said more exercises if you are bulking, and less if you aren't. Im currently trying to gain weight, and have added a whole extra assistance day, and am doing pretty well. My workout partner, is training one less day than me, and doing much less total work, but is struggling in comparison. Calories make a big difference.

From what ive read in articles, and around the forums, a good start might be something like this:

1 - ME or DE lift
1-2 Supplemental lifts (lockout)
1-2 more tricep exercises
1 shoulder exercise
1-2 lat/upper back exercises

So thats like 5-8 exercises. On lower body days, I tend to go with a fewer number of exercises though. Its REALLY easy to overdo, but if you are eating enough and stick with it, your conditioning will go up and you'll get to where you can tolerate the workouts much better.

Early on, dont worry so much about the accessory stuff. Make sure that you are working hard on the ME/DE stuff and your supplemental exercises. Just get the accessory stuff in, even if you have to start out pretty light. The rest breaks should be relatively short. Your conditioning will go up pretty rapidly and then you can start to put a bit more emphasis on the accessory stuff.

Bosshogg300
12-21-2010, 04:06 PM
Well my nutrition is spot on im just trying to get this type of training down and get ready for a powerlifting meet plus just get stronger and add quality size and be ready for semi pro football