PDA

View Full Version : Strength Training Blogs you read?

StLRPh
12-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Curious what blogs the people here read. Two that I've enjoyed are:

Paul Carter's Blog:
http://functional-strength.blogspot.com/

and recently OC Barbell:
http://ocbarbell.blogspot.com/

also Phil's blog:
http://phillipwylie.com/

Any suggestions for others?

ThomasG
12-21-2010, 03:07 PM
Various members journals here on WBB.

chevelle2291
12-21-2010, 03:12 PM
Various members journals here on WBB.

This. There isn't a whole lot of fitness blogs I follow anymore...the journals here are full of so much better information than what I've seen elsewhere.

ThomasG
12-21-2010, 03:14 PM
This. There isn't a whole lot of fitness blogs I follow anymore...the journals here are full of so much better information than what I've seen elsewhere.

Yup and their pretty much the same thing as a blog.

NickAus
12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Not sure about blogs but I have done a massive amount of reading, now I just look for the similarities in the top litters training.

The things everyone at the top seems to do at different times.

Some guys that write about training are pretty weak.

Cmanuel
12-21-2010, 04:47 PM
I like Jim wendlers log because he's pretty funny.

Also I like reading some of the others here at WBB that train similar to me and have similar goals

BoAnderson71
12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
I like Jim wendlers log because he's pretty funny.

Also I like reading some of the others here at WBB that train similar to me and have similar goals

Yeah I like jims, dave tate, clint darden, and jason pegg on elitefts. On here I look at Toms and erics the most.

ajweins
12-21-2010, 05:46 PM
I will second Paul Carter's blog. I also like chaosandpain but that is more for comedy. Logs wise, I follow Ben Brand's and Scott Yard's here.

StLRPh
12-21-2010, 06:56 PM
I read through a lot of the logs here and they've definitely been very helpful. Over at Elite Clint's log has quickly become my favorite.

Cmanuel
12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
I read through a lot of the logs here and they've definitely been very helpful. Over at Elite Clint's log has quickly become my favorite.

I agree Clint's log is probably hands down the best on their site.

Does anyone actually pay attention to EFS' articles anymore? They've gone downhill in the last year or so. Quite honestly I rarely visit that site anymore...crappy articles really.

pricedtosell
12-21-2010, 08:21 PM

Does anyone actually pay attention to EFS' articles anymore? They've gone downhill in the last year or so. Quite honestly I rarely visit that site anymore...crappy articles really.

Hate to say it but I agree. I still search through their old articles re-reading the good ones a lot of times. Their Q&A is still good, too.

BoAnderson71
12-21-2010, 10:30 PM

yeah there articles are not that good anymore. Still a ton of good info on the site though. And very entertaining people. I also like swole patrols log on there, they are hilarious.

MarcusWild
12-21-2010, 10:52 PM
I don't follow any blogs.

I stopped reading elitefts awhile ago. I should check it out now that they have a bunch of new athletes. I miss when Travis Mash was lifting multi-ply, Kroc was a powerlifter, Aichs was competing, Bartley was one of the best squatters on the planet, Frey was training his own way, etc. To me, the logs there peaked 2-3 years ago for powerlifting.

I think this place has one of the best collections of logs. Plus, it's really easy to ask people questions in their log. Everyone is super helpful.

Fortunately, I've been able to meet a lot of amazing lifters. No matter what question I have there's always someone that's an expert in that area. I trust them way more than the latest internet guru.

Kevin K
12-22-2010, 07:04 AM
Westside's www.westside-barbell.com/training-log

BloodandThunder
12-22-2010, 10:13 AM
I don't follow any blogs.

I stopped reading elitefts awhile ago. I should check it out now that they have a bunch of new athletes. I miss when Travis Mash was lifting multi-ply, Kroc was a powerlifter, Aichs was competing, Bartley was one of the best squatters on the planet, Frey was training his own way, etc. To me, the logs there peaked 2-3 years ago for powerlifting.

I think this place has one of the best collections of logs. Plus, it's really easy to ask people questions in their log. Everyone is super helpful.

Fortunately, I've been able to meet a lot of amazing lifters. No matter what question I have there's always someone that's an expert in that area. I trust them way more than the latest internet guru.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head there. I remember Elite was awesome since I had to figure out how to train myself and they had some great written articles on there. Now it seems all you need is 20 words or they copy and paste a workout journal entry. Can't blame Tate for wanting to bring in more revenue though. The Q/A is still decent though, when someone doesn't give a smartass comment back.

I like westside's blog for the video logs. Those are always nice to see. I know I train a certain way, but it's always cool seeing how others train and built themselves up over time.

ScottYard
12-22-2010, 11:21 AM
I like how you guys hate on the articles and such. Do you have anything better to offer? If so step up and send the article in. Surely if you can critque the articles so well you must have something better to show?

AdamBAG
12-22-2010, 11:43 AM
I read several logs here, several on EFS, the Westside log etc.

EFS puts out a ton of information. It can't all be top notch. Also, there's a lot of stuff on there that just doesn't apply to powerlifters. To people in other sports it might be fantastic, but look like crap to us. There have been some really, really good articles this past year. Dave's video article on benching was great, so was Wenning's squat cycle.

MarcusWild
12-22-2010, 12:02 PM
I like how you guys hate on the articles and such. Do you have anything better to offer? If so step up and send the article in. Surely if you can critque the articles so well you must have something better to show?

I think that's part of the issue with articles. They are from everyone and anyone. I'd rather read articles from guys at the top of the sport or top coaches.

Hazerboy
12-22-2010, 12:37 PM

Roger Ebert doesn't make movies, Not saying the two scenarios are directly analogous, just a thought.

I read Sensei's blog, squatrx.blogspot.com . A lot more general than most of these other blogs.

BloodandThunder
12-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I think that's part of the issue with articles. They are from everyone and anyone. I'd rather read articles from guys at the top of the sport or top coaches.

I like how Tate has diversified his new lifter sponsors. He should be applauded for taking on some unheralded lifters before and currently, and seeing their progress is a good thing for the company. But in reference to the articles, I'd like to see them CUT the quantity down and ensure better quality. It wasn't too long ago that only a few articles came out like every Thursday/Friday. Many of them took a while to process and think over. Releasing a few shorter ones each day along with the copy/pastes of journal entries increases web traffic though. Part of the reason I like to support Elite is their willingness to supply free information. There probably would be alot more weaker people out there if it wasn't for Elite's article cache.

Wenning's article and the block periodization articles were both excellent reads.

pricedtosell
12-23-2010, 12:59 AM

Exactly.